Garbage Day Again!

daryl

AKA: Look what the snow blew in today!!!!

It is 5F degrees in the sun today - wind chill of negative 10..... I think they thought I was insane, but I took my little wagon and wheeled home the tank that was on the curb.....

:):D:)

I found a nearly new 40 gallon breeder tank..... a nice 36X18X16ish tank. The glass top is still in good shape. The light strip was worthless - I left it behind.... but the tank is holding water well during the first 2 hours of the leak test!!!

Whooopeeee!!!!

Man - people around here must really hate fish, huh? Throwing away tanks is a crime in my book!!!!

:D:D

Winter walks are the best! Last week I took a short cut up through the woods and picked up a matching set of deer antlers - 18 pointers!!!!! IT was hard to believe that the buck dropped them within 20 feet of each other!

Garbage days, I have taken to walking the 3 miles that border on the houses and their "offerings" to the Garbage Gods.....

:rolleyes:

I am now looking for a nice double decker stand that will hold a 40 and a 60 tank..... ;):yeah::rolleyes:

I definately think it is something in the water!

:rofl;)

In all seriouslness, you may not be so far off the mark - anyone with a well around here cannot drink it or use it for fish unless they do dramatic ammendments.... it actually may be that they have no luck with the fish, and out the tanks go.....

Most of the houses along my daily walk only have to pay one flat fee per month - and they can throw out a truckload if they want. They do not pay extra for larger items (ie: tanks).....

I have never seen much on Craig's list or any other list around here. You have to go a lot further south into Chicago or northwest to get much....

It is funny - I get nothing for years and then... BONANZA! Whoop! :D

Nice find! In Japan there use to be a system once a month called large rubbish day where everyone could put unwanted items out at a chosen spot on the street. Students would turn up and hunt through the stuff before the garbage disposal people came to get it at around 8am. All then went to a landfill sadly. There were amazing things to be found. Tanks, sofas, televisions that work, once I found a desk that we still have and we polished it and cleaned it up. It's solid pine...beautiful.

They stopped that system 2 years ago and now the garbage gets dumped in the woods randomly. I hate that. If people find it and can make use of it that's a good thing though :)

It amazes me what people throw away. I'm into antiques and in the last 5 years or so I have found a light fixture (that I later sold to a dealer for $350.00 - worth $700.00 retail) an antique quarter sawn oak dresser, 20 pieces of blood red and white shell fossil marble wainscotting panels that are now in my powder room, two - 2 inch thick marble matching bathroom counters, a solid oak door with stained glass windows....I'd be here all day if I listed everything. What a shame that much of this stuff goes to landfill. From a historical perspective alone, how much of our past is lost! :(

Angela

Hmmm . . . . don't I remember you finding a goldfish in your mail box? And it wasn't the only fish that had turned up out of nowhere if I recall (one left on your door step?) . . ..

I guess with this run on tanks you've had it's all beginning to even out?

Congrats on teh new tank! Sounds like a neat one! :D

You should check dumpsters too. I found an Ethan Allen chair in their dumpster, perfectly fine except for a small gouge. I loved that chair. I had to leave it behind when we left New York, there wasn't any room for it on the moving van :(

You sure have luck finding tanks daryl.Hmm do you think you can rub some of that luck off on the rest of us :) Sure is a shame throwing out a good tank then its their loss and your great gain :)

Good Find, Daryl!

I have a 120 gal All-Glass Megaflow (two drilled overflows with returns) tank and stand that I am looking to part with, if you want to make a trip to Cincinnati with a pickup truck. It has been used for marine fish, but they are all safely in their new home as of this morning, and the old tank has to go. I will warn anyone considering it - these things weigh about 400 lbs empty and it is in my basement. I'll help haul it upstairs of course, but for GF, you will need to run a wet/dry sump type of filter, or otherwise bypass the overflows. The tank is perfect, apart from needing cleaning, and has never run meds or copper. I will include the existing wet/dry (which won't work real well for GF, and the ReefKeeper controller (which will work well),

glass tops, and a Coralife fixture (4x65 watt PC - bulbs will need to be changed for GF).

Now if there were a 110 Oceanic in Chicago, I'd drive it up there, drop it off at Daryl's , and go to the store with the 110.buy it, and head home. I just don't think I'm going to get that lucky - and I'm not driving to Chicago for an All-Glass - I can get those here!

Dave

I'm still looking for that Oceanic for you!

Yes - I did find goldfish in my mailbox. And I have had them left in a bucket on my doorstep in the past, too. I was also called to "clean" out a shed that had thirty 20 and 30 gallon tanks a few years back. We managed to get most of them into retirement homes and elementary schools. It was a GREAT find.

People do throw away the most amazing things. If they were to think more carefully "Can I recycle this?" before purchase the world might be better. If I cannot recycle something when I am through with it, I think twice about purchasing it!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh god that is painful to read : (

On my craigslist someone left a note saying a 20 gallon tank would be left curbside, first come, etc.

They had posted the note only HOURS before and I figured "What are the chances that someone else in Las Vegas wants that fish tank, happened to look in the free section on criagslist, and got there before me?"

Apparently, very good!

I drove allllll the way to the other side of town, promptly got lost (I NEVER drive over there as that freeway nearly gives me panic attacks), had to call friends to find me on mapquest and rescue me (that took a good 15 minutes as they kept insisting I couldn't possibly be where I was which was CRAZY as I was looking at the street signs), found my way to the housing area, the numbers were faded and it was so hard to find the house and when I finally got there: NO FISH TANK!

Then on the way home some jerk wouldn't let me merge on the freeway so I ended up going the opposite direction, had to get off, turn around, and then come back home.

I drove FIFTY miles for NOTHING. And I drive a ford bronco that gets 11 gpm.

GAHHHH!

However, a few weeks later and I got a nice 29 gallon for $20 so I guess that's not too bad. AND the people I bought it from tried to hook me up with their friend, :D

But still, I"m jealous! Anyhow, congrats on your find !!!