Whats The Best Water Conditioner To Use

:) I too use Prime and order it from Big Al's on a monthly basis. :rolleyes:

Normally it lasts quite a long time-unless you have alot of tanks and water changes.

I also noticed that vvvv was now carrying it,but all I've seen so far was the smaller bottles for either 5.99 or 6.99? :hmm I can get the 500ml bottle from Al's for 10.99

I know shipping is a factor,but they have alot of filters,food,etc. much cheaper than the other stores so if you plan ahead--- even with the shipping I still save quite a few bucks. :exactly

While we're on the subject of water conditioners... Is it necessary to add them/it to a tank that is fishless cycling? Looked around, but couldn't find any information saying should/should not. I guess there aren't fish in there, so maybe not necessary - but will the metals/chlorine/etc. in the water harm the BB? Most of the water conditioners I've seen bind ammonia, which is not what good for the cycle at this point. Any ideas? Thanks!

PS: Devs, I order it online from Big Al's as well - I noticed the Prime at vvvv last time I was in, but didn't check the price. I usually have enough junk "in my net" on Big Al's to get free ship anyway... oops, back to the GF anon thread!

Edited by imtammyo

:rofl You had my attention there for sure!! I order pretty much on a monthly basis,and was sitting here thinking "How is she getting free shipping"????

I can only speak for myself,but when I'm cycling a fishless tank,most times,I don't bother with a conditioner or any of the cycle type products.Of course I have alot of tanks though and therefore always have some sort of media to throw in and make cycling faster. ;)

I do pop in some Prime when it's all ready to go just to make sure that all toxins are out of the water and that it's safe for the fishies. :D

While we're on the subject of water conditioners... Is it necessary to add them/it to a tank that is fishless cycling? Looked around, but couldn't find any information saying should/should not. I guess there aren't fish in there, so maybe not necessary - but will the metals/chlorine/etc. in the water harm the BB? Most of the water conditioners I've seen bind ammonia, which is not what good for the cycle at this point. Any ideas? Thanks!

PS: Devs, I order it online from Big Al's as well - I noticed the Prime at vvvv last time I was in, but didn't check the price. I usually have enough junk "in my net" on Big Al's to get free ship anyway... oops, back to the GF anon thread!

I would condition your water during a fishless cycle anyway, since chlorine will kill any bacteria that's in your tank. This can be especially problematic if you plan to "seed" your media with any dormant or active culture.

Thanks guys :)

I will go to the LFS and see if they have a cheap water conditioner that doesn't bind ammonia - guess it can't hurt. (and it's an excuse to look at the fishies!) I don't know what the chlorine levels are like in my tap water, but we have really hard water (lyme deposits and such), so I'm sure that can't be good for the BB. I have Prime for when I do my water change.

Thanks again!

:rolleyes: Thank you Nenn for bringing up that point.Sometimes you don't always remember everything,especially when it's 3:30 am and you've had no sleep in the last 24 hours. :yikes I guess I should have explained in more detail.

I didn't mention the fact that my tank/filters run clean for a day or two,so the actual water is sitting over a 24 hour period.,(not that it always removes all toxins--depends on where you live and what chemicals are in your water) but when you're starting from scratch,there really isn't any biobugs to kill. I don't begin to treat any water until I do my first water change after ammonia starts showing.If I am preparing a tank to be "seeded" And I think it's all ready to go,i I add any media from other tanks, and I do add Prime into the tank. ;)

In the many,many years that I've been keeping fish,I have never lost a fish during cycling. :D

I ran my filter/air pump in clean water for about a day and a half, no cycling, just in the water - to make sure they worked! So the water did sit out for a period of time. I added some bacteria, then added ammonia. It's been running like that a couple of days now. Today I added some dechlorinater, as was recommended. Question though: after I added the conditioner, the bubbles from the air stone are different... Is that weird? Before they would hit the top of the water and kind of disappear, and now they collect at the surface a bit more. Is that from the conditioner? I assume that means I did have some metals/chlorine/etc. in the water and the conditioner has removed some...? I think I'm having a bloom of some sort, because the water is getting pretty cloudy. I'm taking that as a good sign?

So many questions :) Thanks for all your help!

Tammy

Many conditioners that claim to help replenish the "slime coat" add extra ingredients that are particularly viscous. This can make your water a little bit "thick" and cause bubbles to remain at the surface of your tank. I try to avoid conditioners like that because I don't like the way the bubbles collect at the top. ;)