My New Fry

daryl

Wow Carol! Those parents are absolutely stunning - and i'm sure that with your expert care, the offspring will turn out just beautiful! I love reading about their development. Please keep us updated. It's so exciting!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - the goldfish/koi show is a load of fun. There will be dealers with fancy fish from around the world, dealers with all sorts of equipment and other goldfish/koi related products, vats and vats and vats of koi to see and tank upon tank of fancy goldfish for you to oogle. There are usually some marvelous seminars - last time, "Judging" was led by some leaders in the goldfish world from England - we got to try our hand at judging tanks of fish, and our opinons were all discussed. I learned a lot. Hanson Mann - a very renowned author on the history of goldfish gave a lecture. There were others too.

A show is a really fun thing to attend. You get to meet and talk with people from all over. They all have different ideas and it can teach a lot.

I particularly like seeing all the various fish - the different types that various people find important. They are sooo varied and each and every one is prettier than the next!

Come to the show. You will not regret it.

:)

I do so hope that I can come! If it's not going to happen for me to come, is shipping fish still a possibility for you?

I'm a nursing student...clinicals, that's all I'm going to say :P

PS: Why can't I use PM's?

Edited by moidixmoisfan

I tried to take pics today - but could not get any focus on the camera....

The larger ones are starting to show their dorsal fins - nice and high.....

They are growing tremendously. The largest are about 3/4 inch long - the smallest is about 1/4 inch. The majority are 1/2 inch.

I have to read more on how to use this new camera and will try again tomorrow....

Moidixmoisfan, Maceo lives north of Atlanta somewhere, and I am a Georgian too - in the Tifton area, about 40 minutes north of Valdosta. So, I guess when the time comes for the Chicago show, there will be a little convoy of vehicles driving up I-75 and fetch some or Daryl's babies... :happydance

Wow, it's refreshing to know that there's more of us in Georgia! I live right in between Statesboro and Savannah! I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to the show since nursing school is kind of erratic, but you could snatch some for me!

=OT=

PS: Can ya'll believe the news about Anna Nicole!?

I am hoping to get a good female from the cross - a calico would be nice, but I have no idea of the genetic structure of "mom" so that will be a suprise. :) A nice red male would be a gift.

The fry at 14 days of age:

They have visible dorsal fins, and double tails. Some are 3/4 inch long, the majority are about 1/2 inch long. There is one tiny one that is only about 1/4 inch long. Some have "white" intheir tails and some have a bit of white/red on their heads and tails....

There are about 60ish of them....

post-27-1171062294_thumb.jpg

post-27-1171062317_thumb.jpg

post-27-1171062367_thumb.jpg

post-27-1171062379_thumb.jpg

Guest Cattrix

This is really interesting... Your mom and daddy are just Gorgeous... this type of gf I like very much.. with the pointy little snouts. Wishing you good health for them!

Cat

Will there be a posting about this show in Chicago when it gets closer? I'm only a couple hours north and would like to attend (with fishy bags and cooler of course! :bingo: )!

There are two spots here on the board where you can find shows and such. One is in the "calendar" link, in the top right corner of the main forum page, and in the "Board news" area is also a section where shows will be announced. Once its within the 3-month range of the show date, I'll post the details. :)

Yeah - well they are quickly getting past my ability to feed them live brine shrimp, and if I use frozen, I will use up my entire food budget for myself! (no food for me!!!!) I hatch out about 1 teaspoon of shrimp eggs every day - starting a new culture each day in alternate hatching cones. They eat them all in one day - with supplements of frozen at 2 feedings....

I have tried frozen daphnia - they pick at it. I tried FirstBites but they let it sit on the bottom and do not even pick at it. At least with the shrimp every last piece is picked from the bottom and off the sponge. They do not like the other stuff much. They are spoiled rotten, I fear.

I had some microworms going, but that was one of the first things that went out the door when my hubby got home. He is really sensitive to things - cannot take out the garbage without gagging...etc. So a culture of stinky microworms was not possible. He tolerates the fish because he thinks they are pretty, but mostly because he loves me. They are "messy" and "stinky". He would prefer a home to be a sterile environment. I like plants, fish, cats and just about any form of wildlife I can pick up and bring home.....

I have culled a few - ones that had slightly bent backs, one with a strange "butterfly" tail that went straight out like a tosakin's tail. Most of the rest seem to be pretty homogeneous! I have about 40 good looking little swimmers in a 25 gallon tank at this time. They are all pretty uniform in size - all about 3/4 inch long with big fat bellies and substantial tails and dorsal fins. Some have white on their tails and a few reddish scales, but the most are just gray.

I will see if I can get a camera in there again today.

So - how does one convince spoiled little babies to eat daphnia or FirstBites or sieved ProGold/Spirilina?????

:rofl You have yourself a problem there Carol!!! If I was use to live foods that many times a day,I wouldn't want that other crap either. :rofl

I want to say one thing though here,It's really hard working with a dozen or so babies,because if there are any flawed ones,it seems so major.I saw a couple kind of swim odd,and it's noticeable on one that he's kinked,but he continues to live and grow. I haven't been able to cull him yet. He's lived through too much. :(

I lost a few bigger much healthier fish when I first started during water changes,and these couple of runts just keep making it,and they've even been sucked up a few times when water changing. :blink:

I remember feeding my baby Bettas microworms.They loved them!!! :exactly

Yeah, those microworm cultures sure stink up a storm - BUT they are so good for the fish! Is there a place in the house where your hubby doesn't go all that much, and wouldn't notice a tiny little container of microworms? Lets see, maybe the laundry room? Leave a box of detergent open, and let that take away the smell... :rofl3

I knew it would be tricky to get them used to frozen food if they are on live foods all the time - thats why I combine frozen with live on feedings. I think the "hunting" gene kicks in with the fry when they see those little things wiggle, and they try to get them. No wiggling with frozen foods, so its less interesting.

All I can suggest is to keep trying with the frozen foods. Maybe their first meal in the morning, make that frozen, so they are the hungriest after a long night without food, and care less if its frozen or not?

• 1 month later...
Guest Calico Pearlscale

Is it possible for you to send your fry to me in southern california i'd pay whatever cost cuz I still have room for prabably 8-10 more goldfish in my tank?

• 3 months later...

The various spawnings of fry are growing well. I have a smattering of nice looking ryukins babies - about 1.5 inches big or so. The green ones have not decolored yet. There are about 3 calicos that are fairly nice. I intend to take the better ones to show this AUgust and get a judge's opinion on them.

I have a number of rather nice Lionhead fry - about 1.5 inches big, too. They are white, red/white, red and some blue ones and some green ones, still. No wens, yet. I hope to take an assortment of the best of them to show, also.

I have about 30 Phoenix fry - about 1.5-2 inches. One or two have nice backs/tails - the rest are just OK. I do not know if any will be blue or what - they are all still silvery/green still.....

I have about 300 Ryukin fry that are 1/2 to 3/4 inch big - still developing....

I have them in two 40 gallon tanks, two 30 gallon tanks, a 25 gallontank, two twenty gallon tanks and 5 10 gallon tanks. They eat like crazy every day and are, mostly, growing like weeds. After the show, I would like to give away the majority of them - or sell them to the fish store.

I do not have pictures - many are in green water..... My hubby has the camera in OshGosh for the big fly-in this next week - so I have no camera, either.....

Sorry. I will take pics when I can. :)