My New Fry

daryl

These little guys are 8 days old today. They are broadtail Ryukins. There are about 50-60 viable babies in the tank. They eat like pigs. I am feeding live brine shrimp by the thousands - 6 times a day.

The babies are growing quickly. They are active and kinda cute in a funny little sliver kind of way.

I look forward to when they begin to look a bit more like goldfish!

post-27-1170296823_thumb.jpg

post-27-1170296867_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moi moi moi moi! :heart

daryl, I'm drooling here...I'm drooling.....I'm drooling!

Can you send one here without charging me shipping...pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssseeeeee? :D:D

I simply can't wait to see them grow up! My God they're gonna be beautiful!

I truly wish it were possible/practical to share my babies with you..... I do not think they will make it to Oz, though. :(

I am sorry. :cry1 I cannot think of a better home.

Mom and Dad came from Dandy Orandas...

dandyorandas.com

kfischer@columbus.rr.com

Ken imports from Jackie Chan.

Yes - I AM thrilled - I am eagerly waiting to see what they will look like! I REALLY want to get little miniatures of mom and dad!

:D

Some in there look like they may have "superman tails" - tails that are kinda flat and spread out - like a tosakin tail kind of...... really strange.....

I have not culled any yet.

I will try.

The two ryukins were picked up and brought home. I isoed them in the same tank, thinking they were both males. The move and stress were enough to make the ripe female drop eggs. I quickly dropped in as much matting as I had. I then had no choice but to move the parents from their bigger iso tank to a smaller one.

I then split them up the tank was really too small for two such large fish, and I did not want him picking at her. She only had a few hundred eggs and I was not going to push matters. (I do not feel that I was responsible for this breeding - I did not prep the fish - they came that way....)

The eggs were kept in a 25 gallon tank with a seasoned sponge filter. The water was treated with Acriflavine ( I cannot get Methlene Blue!!!!). Some fungused eggs were removed on day2.

The tank was kept at an even 70F - being long finned fancies, I upped the temp from the usual 69. I could not easily hit 71F and do not trust a heater to do the job as perfectly as I required. I heated the tank with a 60 watt light bulb that was under the tank base - no light - just rising heat.

At 4 days - almost to the hour, the babies hatched. After remaining stationary for approximately 30-36 hours, they were up and hunting. I fed live baby brine shrimp, but quickly ran out. I then fed frozen baby brine shrimp until I got my shrimp hatcheries up and running more efficiantly. I bought decapsulated shrimp eggs - grade A - they hatch out well with no shells to constipate/kill the fry.

The babies are still kept at 70F. It is difficult to raise the temp in any way - I do not trust my smaller heaters in such a little amount of water. It is the dead of cooooold winter right now - Negative 7F last night - and the house temps (64F) just do not allow for very warm water at this time. I have the water at 8 inches deep. I syphon the waste out daily (about 1 gallon) and replace about 1.5 gallons back. I am slowly adding more depth tothe water. I am still filtering with just an airbubbler in a sponge filter and the water is still staying in good parameters.

I am feeding baby brine shrimp approximately 6 times a day. They always have something swimming in the wtaer to eat. The babies have doubled in length and size in 8 days.

I have a few with obvious bent backs, and a couple with strange looking double tails. But they are really too tiny to determine exactly what may be "off" so I will wait.

I read that long finned, deep bodied fish need live food to grow the body depth necessary to carry the heavy tails properly. So I am intending to stick to live food for quite a while on these little guys. I have to get past the time when my hubby comes home and finds little pop bottles of shrimp bubbling on the kitchen counters or..... microworms brewing in a box! (ewwwwh!)..... Perhaps the frozen foods will be more acceptable to him. We will see.... :yeah::rolleyes:

I will keep you all posted. :)

wow!! congrats!!!thumb.gif

looks like our broods decided to breed at the same time! ours are just a day younger than yours, and are progressing at the same rate!

maybe we should set up play dates for the babies one day! ezpi_wink1.gif

Oh dear Lord! I hope I'm not too late! Do you plan on selling any of the fry? I live in Georgia...way out in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest pet store... :ill I saw this post and saw the parents...they're gorgeous! I couldn't remember my password to my other name, so I registered with my other e-mail. Please PM me if you plan on selling any of the fry! :heart:heart:heart:heart

Edited by moidixmoisfan

I am glad you are soooo interested - it is great to have interest in fine goldfish. I am afraid that they are a LOOOOOOONG way from being ready to be sent to a new home. They are still not much more than little sticks with tails, eyes, big round bellies, and a bit of red flashing on the sides....

When they are larger and I know exactly how many and what I have, they will, indeed, need to find homes. At that time, I will try to contact people. You might consider coming up to the Chicago area in August for the Nationals.... I suspect any fry of any worth I have will be at that show at that time..... :exactly