What Filter To Buy?

Cocobid

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum have visited Koko's site for years and it is a good one. People see very friendly and really trying to help and get along.

Here is the question, I have a 55G with (1)HOB & (1)power head media sponge inside. I want to add an additional canister for more filtration. There are so many out there. I want one that is easy to maintain n & clean, quiet, gives great filtration. There are probably more that I don't even know what to ask but bottom line.....a good one!!!!

One more thing I think you might want to know we are well on our way to planted tanks.

I love the enjoyment that the fish get out of it and the health of the tanks. Been a trial and error but I think we are finding what works and what does not. The 55 has been up for about one and a half years.

Thank You for any Suggestion

Karen/cocobid

Welcome to Koko's! :welcome

Rena and Fluval are also popular (and cheaper) brands of canister filter. The Rena XP external/canister filter range seems to be are very popular with the members on this site. Fluval's 05 series is quite popular too, although some people have complained about difficulties in priming it and with routine maintenance, although I've never had any problems personally. I have two Rena XP2's, a Fluval 205 and a 405 canister filter and I'm very happy with both brands :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

I have a Rena XP4, an Eheim 2128 (with heater) and about 10 Fluval 404/405 304/305. You will end up cursing the day you bought a Fluval for a GF tank. Either the Rena or Eheim is a far superior piece of gear.

Now, for tropicals or light salt water duty, even turtles, Fluvals are fine. But GF are such waste machines that they clog Fluvals in a heartbeat. Fluvals are less easy to clean and less easy to start than the other two I mentioned above. I just chucked both of my Fluvals on my GF tank out of exasperation with how annoying it was.

My experience with two monsters in a 58-gal - your mileage may vary.

Dave

Thank You for a warm welcome

This is the 3rd time I have typed this knocked off rrrrrrrr.

Spent most the day yesterday reading posts on different filters. Dave I caught your post on your new filter, how is it????

I am leaning towards the RENA Filstar XP 4 Canister Filter or Eheim 2028 Professionel II Canister Filter With Media Value Pack. I wish I knew what question to ask to make a more informed decision. This one does this, this one does that, and so on...

With goldies they are very messy under the best of conditions.

I am religious about cleanliness and maintenance.

So looking forward I want something easy to clean and maintain, that has high filtration & bio media and durable this is not something you but everyday and want to last.

The 20G I am looking at a Magnum 350 PRO System take a look at this is it a good filter for a small goldie tank.

Both of these will/are be planted. This is another whole subject. Lighting just doing a lot of reading here. Would like to convert my canopy to a stronger wattage bulb?????

Any thoughts they are both great filters.

Karen/Cocobid

Nick makes a darn good point. Given the online price of the Xp3 (about $90), you can buy two of these for the price of an Xp4. I can't say enough good things about having two cannisters running. Two different intake locations helps with the waste removal. You can alternate servicing them to minimize any impact on your bacteria. Plus you get more total media volume for a more stable cycle. As much as I like my 2028, I'm very happy with the Xp3, and two of them would make quite a combo.

Dennis

I love my Rena XP4's but to be honest, there are more compartments than I find practical even for a large aquarium. I dont rely on my cannisters for biolfiltration like a lot of people do; just mechanical filtration. I wind up stuffing floss media into all but the bottom two compartments where I have doubled the number of sponge pads. I clean my XP4's once every 3 or 4 weeks because I have three and clean one a week [or so]. When I rinse them, I find that the sponge pads are clean! Everything is caught in the prefilter pad and the floss. I know there's no such thing as "overfiltration", but for most applications, I think two XP3's for the price of one XP4 is the way to go. You'll still have room for bio-media if that's what you wanna' do. The sponges themselves are wonderful for that. Others use various bio-media such as ceramic pieces, plastic stars, etc..

In my experience, the Rena's are no-frills, work horses. Easy to clean and dependable.

Others like Daryl, with more practical experience than the majority of us put together, like Eheims. If I ever abandon my Rena's, I'll definitely "go Eheim".

I have an Eheim and do not have any experience with other cannisters. However, I just did some major filter maintenance on my Eheim and it was truly a breeze. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. (And I do not hear it running at all.)

I just recently bought a Rena xp4 and I thought about the same thing as far as cost effective, but I don't have the space for 2 canisters vs 1 large one so that was my reason for the purchase. My 46 gallon only has space for 1 canister in the stand. I haev a Rena xp3 and so far ame very happy. Happy enough to buy another one.

I am a big AC fan (I have 3 AC110s!! Woohoo! Love 'em!) but I have a Fluval that helped put me over the top on my filtration on my big tank & I love it!! Super easy to maintain & I pick what medium I want in there!

Had a Flavul and I hated it. When it burn up cause of a power outage I threw it out. I didnt want to get anouther canster but need more room for media so ordered a rena xp3. Hope it works as well as everyone says.

I love my HOB cause they are so easy to use. Have three on my 75 but when the canister comes in one well be put away for emergencies.

Well, I think I have read my self SILLY :krazy::krazy::krazy:

I did find out that Eheim offers a pre-filter for the inside of the tank to catch the big stuff. Not sure if rena does. DO any of you use this filter it is only 10-15 dollars. I really do not know I have an elevated tank up on the bar counter between the rooms and I am not sure if I have room for 2 canister filters.

So many of you continue to use the HOB combined with the canister....YES? If so would the rena x3 be sufficient combined with HOB and power head sponge filter.

But I must make a decision the sale is still on at BigAls

Thank You, Karen

I think I will go ahead and order the Eheim 2028 with the media package from BigAl's. Now what else should I order to go with it. I am totally new at this canister thing. I need the additional media?

I would order two of the Rena but space is an issue. If someone thinks the Eheim is over kill speak up!!!!

For the 20G what would you order. I definitely need for filtration for it.

This site is so great in reading many many threads there is a genuineness about helping.

Thanks Karen

If you get the Eheim from Big Al with the media kit, you'll be all set initially. You will need to order some of the white sponges and blue sponges for replacements, though. Eheim recommends replacing the white (very fine, at the top) sponge every time you clean the filter, and the blue ever other time. Mine is still too new to recommend anything different.

I suspect you will ADORE the Eheim. Personally I run no HOBs because I do not like the noise, or the inevitable bird dander (2 parrots near my tanks) that can get in.

Dave

• 2 months later...

Ok so the Eheim is on the way :yeah::yeah:

So here is where I need a few suggestions/help! My 55G is elevated Ft. on a counter separating 2 rooms. So the plumbing is located at one end only. I run a power head several times a day to churn up the bottom at the far end and after feeding. This really helps. I intend to continue using the HOB after Eheim arrives. I am also ording the prefilter for Eheim. Here is were the questions begin. Are there any suggestions on how to plumb the tank to create a better clean without disturbing GF as a result of water flow.

Also what "stuff" clamps, extra hoses, suction cups I don't even know what I would need in excess to what comes with the filter. Since the hoses will only enter from the last few inches on the back of the tank.

On our 20G just added a 2nd HOB filter to the tank and what a difference it makes I was completely impressed with the water quality and the Bio bugs are not completely going the 2nd one yet.

The tank location is just wonderful for "my KIDS" and me it's a total interactive environment. Yes, they "work" me or beg constantly.

I have been totally consumed with my Mom and her declining health, this is not a good situation for her. Did not mean to start a thread and walk away; life is just difficult right now.

Just tell me :exactly what to do

Karen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See what's free at AOL.com.

Personally, I'd just stick some emperors or penguins on the 55 tank and call it a day. Or if I was strapped for $$ I'd buy some aquatech regents from the w store and fit it with biowheels myself lol. But can't go wrong with eheim for sure. I can't answer any of your questions but.......what filters are you using on the 20 and the 55?

Ok I am not at home to be exact but here is the best I can do on filters. The 20 has a 50aquaclear & what came with the aquarium from of all places nnnnnn. Both of my tanks came from there but that is the only thing. The 55 has the same. In route to me is the Eheim 2028. Actually my Husband was picking up some things at nnnnnn for our stores and had one the vans with him and was just doing something nice for his wife and home came the 55G. It was very sweet. But if I were to do this over I would have gone with what I believe is a 75 gallon which has the same footprint as the 55.

Of one more thing since switching to gel food it seems that there is more particles after feeding in the tank, but the fish are much healthier.

Karen

I have no idea why the name of the store changes when I preview it but it is WM. :whatjust::whatjust:

I know you have already made your decision but just thought id use this thread to recommend the TetraTec range of canister filters. Great space for biological/chemical/mechanical media, runs totally silently according to my ears and best bit is that it is SO easy to prime. You just push a button several times, you dont need to fill it yourself or anything. I :heart it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Eheim arrived have had it for quite some time now. We installed it on Saturday and actually quite easy.

Ok here is were I had my only issue. The next morning I awoke to a tank with sky high Nitrate & nitrite levels. The nitrite had never happened before. When this tank was set up a couple of years ago we used gravel, filters, media, water from the other tank. Very smooth transition. So to my surprise and panic I immediately Sunday morning went to my locally owned fish store which I trust impeccably. He also is a goldfish keeper something like 11 tanks in his home...

Here is what I did and it is holding well as of this morning.

Did 75% water change, cranked up several air stones, added nitrifying bacteria, amquel, crossed my fingers and prayed. On Monday the tank was back to its normal levels with the exception of the Nitrate which was nice and low around 15.

My LFP stated to me on Sunday AM that not to panic that this happens when you introduce a large new filter sometimes. But that in the long run I would have a very very healthy tank. Here is where he lost me he said it was actually OK for them both to spike together???? That everything was working?? But he must have been right, because all was well Monday.

On another note this is a time in my life where thing are not the greatest. Yesterday Mom was moved from a transition Hospice house to a nursing home. With everything that is going on my goldfish are a piece of tranquility. I somehow manage to keep the tanks on maintenance schedules. Almost a necessary obsession ....which I feel is really ok right now.

Thank You

Karen/Cocobid

I know the following question probably belongs in the disease section but time is a little short right now. For the last month or so I have noticed that a few of my GF have been on the bottom a lot lately. Not gasping or anything unusual just resting. No outward signs of anything weird tank is very healthy. Understandably it is egg laying season. I do feel we have some night chasing. But I am also concerned that we might have some sort of internal bacterial thing going on. Late last year we treated just as a precaution for flukes. Maybe nothing just a little concerned.