Sign in to follow this  
Guest xscientist

Oranda With Dropsy. Help!

Guest xscientist

Hello all

I have a small red and white oranda that started acting sluggish a week ago. He eats well, but sits at the bottom all day. Now he is starting to bloat and look like a pinecone, so I am assuming dropsy. No other symptoms yet. We did a complete tank change, upped the salt to 1 TB/gallon, and are considering medicated food. I have read that Medi-gold is decent. Any further suggestions?

Further background - this particular fish has displayed some floating in the past, so now we feed with mostly peas, and occasionally back to flake food (used to be 100% flake). No floating in a long while.

Ammonia - 0

Nitrate - 0

Nitrite - 0

Ph - 7.6

Eclipse 6 gallon with carbon and active filters

Recent complete tank change

1 other small goldfish in tank

Water is treated with aquasafe only

Fish

Thanks for your help...

If nitrate is truly 0 then your tank is not 'cycled' and is likely to suffer from water quality problems. Because your tank is so small this is even more likely. How long has the tank been set up?

Read around the various sections of this website to understand the nitrogen cycle and information on stocking.

In the meantime however medicated food is definitely the way to go if your fish is suffering from dropsy. On the goldfish connection website MetroMeds are actually the recommended kind for the 'early signs of dropsy'.

Maracyn II is commonly used if you can get your hands on it.

No treatment will be successful though if ammonia and nitrite arent kept at zero as it will just stress your fish further.

Unfortunately fish suffering from dropsy often do not recover as what you are seeing is an accumulation of fluid symptomatic of organ failure, dropsy itself is not a disease.

Doing a search of the Disease and Treatments section will bring up lots of posts by people who have treated their dropsied fish if you want to read more.

Guest xscientist

Treated with Maracyn 2, as well as medicated food. Seems to be well on the way to recovery. Will keep my fingers crossed!

Good to hear :) Welcome to Koko's by the way :)

Definitely consider at very least a 20 gallon tank for your two goldies.And 10x filtration(200 gallons/hour)

Guest shin

I just wanted to add that for dropsy, you should be using epsom salt instead of aquarium salt. I believe epsom salt helps remove the fluids from the body. However, you cannot mix the two kinds of salt. I hope the fish continues to heal for you. :)