Sign in to follow this  
glitterfish

Skully's Eye Is Gone!

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 20

ph 7.2

30 gallons 1 1/2 years 5 fish(1 1/2" to 5") yes I know im overstocked.

change water 2 times a week, 30% each time

no meds, no new fish

I looked into my tank today and my poor little lionhead is missing an eye!! The clear "sac" that holds the eye, the thing that goes over the top of the eye, is hanging there along with a puff of tendon or something. :ill The socket looks bloody. The fish is acting fine and eating. What can I do? Im afraid with this piece hanging that another fish will grab it thinking its something tasty. :krazy:

Oh No Erin!! Poor Skully! :(

I am sure that you have taken him out and QT him so far--As for the rest, You know how I am with sick fish. I don't know squat! I just hope he get's better soon.

Thanks Della. Ive actually left him in the main tank as I fear moving him will stress him out. The other fish are not bothering him either. Im at a loss!

Ohhhh, nothing more troubling than looking in your tank and seeing a fish with an eye gone :( . I've had it happen twice, but in both cases the fish did just fine after a few days of adjustment. Just keep your water as clean as possible, add a little stresscoat or Melafix if you use it. Hopefully everything will be just fine.

Chrissy

Guest f1shface

I had a lionhead that lost his eye as well. I was told to be careful if there are pleco's in the tank; they love to suck on slow swimming fish. YUCK. Anyway, I added melafix and the fish was just fine. I didn't have anything hanging out though, it was pretty clean. That was 2 years ago :) I'm sure he'll be fine. Good luck. :krazy:

Thanks! :) I have nothing else in the tank but goldies. One of them must be the culprit. :(

Oh no.

Sorry to hear it. But with a name like Skully - if he had a fishy Pirate Patch it would seem fitting somehow.

I hope he stays healthy.

with a name like Skully - if he had a fishy Pirate Patch it would seem fitting somehow
Hehe, I was thinking the same thing.

I had one fish lose an eye to a pleco, but my lionhead Elaine lost one when she was just in with other fish too. I figure it was my large black moore getting aggressive during feeding, but I never did really figure it out.

As for the bits hanging out, my guess is they will just go away (either fall off or shrink up). Just keep checking and I'm sure your fish will cope.

Chrissy

Hi there--

Just as encouragement, my friend has an 8 year old fantail that's had 2 separate operations to remove his eyes after they developed some sort of tumor on or around them. He's doing great, especially now that he gets a 30 gallon tank all to himself so there's no competition for food! He can still find the food some how, without much trouble at all. Hope your fish recovers quickly!!

Thanks everyone for the support. :heart

I moved him to my 75 with the poor vision goldies as one of the ryukin in the 30 was pulling at his bits. :ill I wish that piece would fall off, makes him an easy target. He is still eating but not swimming around as much. I think he will pull through though, we'll see how he looks in the morning. :)

Sorry about your fish! I hope for a speedy recovery. How is he this morning?

Erin I too am sorry to hear Skully is having a hard time.

I think Chrissy said it best, keep the water good and maybe a little Melafix (if you feel you need to add something). And give it a little time. Hopefully the new tank buddies won't be picking at him.

Thank you guys! He is still the same. The piece is still hanging there. I dont think Ill add anything to the water, Ill just keep the water pristine and go from there. :)

:) I think that's a good plan erin.I've got 3 fish with one eye from a few different things,and they are all doin well,and it's been almost 3 years,so as long as Skully has good water and time to heal,he'll be just fine.

:) Thanks Sharon, thats very reassuring. :heart

:) NP Erin. One of my favorite "one eyed fish "is Louie(turned out a girl :rolleyes: ) She lost her eye when the boys roughed her up and she was in a tank by herself for a while afterwards because I worried so much.Since Sept.? though,she now shares a tank with Won Ton and a Red Cap and is doing well still,so I'm thrilled that Louie is happy . :D

Here's a pic of Louie and Won. :heart

DSCF7424.jpg

:heart They are lovely! Is that the TINY fry you had?! WOW!!

:rofl YEP!!!!! My single egg,Won Ton who I almost pitched because his egg was fuzzy and white :o

WOW WOW WOW!! He has gotten so big. You must be such a proud mama!! :D

omg, i hope skully is doing ok!!! :heart

you should have gone gangster on his tankmates, grabbed them by the gills, and said, "i got my eye on you..." ;)

:rofl Im not sure which did it, but Im almost certain it was one of the ryukins!

:rolleyes: I'd blame the Ryukins every time. :rofl

:rolleyes: I'd blame the Ryukins every time. :rofl

But...

Isn't that racial profiling?!?! :unsure: