Sign in to follow this  
Devs

Do You Want Ketchup With Those Fry?

:) Okay guys,I don't know if you're ready or not,but here's another fry story for you.

I recently put up another 75gallon,and have bought a few fish for it :exactly

Seems like as soon as the fish came out of the Qtank,and all got together in the new tank, that they decided to get busy. :rofl

Most of the eggs got eaten,but I managed to save two.The parents were an Red/White Ranchu,and a choco Oranda.

The next day,I see the Ranchu chasing another Bronze Ranchu,and yet again,more eggs went all over the place.

I decided to let them eat most of them,and just took out a plant that had a few eggs on it to see if I could hatch a few.

This has been within the last 2 weeks(one being my 84 hr. work week)I'm happy to say that I have baby fry!!! :nana

I've finally gotten a few pics where they are not just a blur. :rofl

DSCF8625.jpg

DSCF8721.jpg

:heartDSCF8746.jpg

DSCF8750.jpg

DSCF8758.jpg

DSCF8759.jpg

:heart:heart OMG they so adorable!

wow they must love the tank to be "getting to business" so fast :)

So now you got a new 75gal to take care of and with all the fry.......................... :krazy: looks like another 75 on order LOL

keep the pics coming Id love to watch the progress.

It seems to be fry season round kokos these days :D Congratulations on your new ones Devs, they are in expert hands and are sure to grow big and strong. What kyuties they are with those parents- hope you get a choco ranchu!!! :heart

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :bounce:nana:pianobanana They're just so ADORABLE!!! I tell you what Sharon, they're excellent shots - so very clear and so easy to see your little babies :D

I can't believe the different sizes you've got and OMG, don't tell me we're gonna have baby ranchu's? Oh I hope so, I've been hanging out for one of us to have baby ranchus :heart:heart

Finally!!! I've been waiting for those pics! Congrats on these little cuties!!! :D:heart

:rolleyes: Ahh yes.....Love is in the air~!!!!!!!! :rofl

:rofl

hehe love? weather? storms? maybe its a full moon!

Im just glad itseffecting the fish and not me :rofl

:) Yes, it must be that time of the year! Great pics Sharon! Congrats on your little ones.

How old are those little guys? They are LARGE!

Perhaps your warm tanks are helping, huh?

Ranchus.... wow. I wish.....

Sigh.

:) Thanks everyone!!

Carol,I'm realizing that some of these guys may be 2 weeks old,as I'm now thinking that they werew hatching before I went back to work. There are at least 3 though that look like they just became "free swimmers" though-which is confusing me a bit.... :hmm I'm starting to wonder if they pulled a fast one on me,and laid a 3rd group of eggs or what?????? :rolleyes:

My tanks are kept around 75-76 degrees.I have just always had better luck with them on the warmer side.

These fry have been eating more Hikari first bite than shrimp,as my Brine shrimps been giving me some trouble this time around. :unsure: I just ordered some new.

And you know what,that darn Ollie,the "Daddy" in both cases,is chasing Smack around this morning. :(

I am starting to think that all the fish I bought were female. :thud

And one more thing Carol,you may not have Ranchu at the moment,but you have time.Right now,you need to start your own thread-if you know what I mean. :yeah:

Yeah yeah yeah. I just hate announcing anything before I really know if anything will live.....

:unsure:

I am going through cube after cube after cube of frozen baby brine shrimp. My last two tries at hatching shrimp yielded NOTHING - and the first attempt gave so few the babies would starve with only that little bit!!!

Where do you get your shrimp eggs from? Sanders? What amount of salt do you add per litre? I have weighed and measured, etc. and each place gives different directions.....

Yay, more KGW fry! :happydance Congratulations Devs! They are super-duper cute! Good luck with them :D

I'm losing track of all the fry stories now! :wacko:

Yeah yeah yeah. I just hate announcing anything before I really know if anything will live.....

:unsure:

I am going through cube after cube after cube of frozen baby brine shrimp. My last two tries at hatching shrimp yielded NOTHING - and the first attempt gave so few the babies would starve with only that little bit!!!

Where do you get your shrimp eggs from? Sanders? What amount of salt do you add per litre? I have weighed and measured, etc. and each place gives different directions.....

Carol,in truth,With the times that I've had any sort of fry,I've just bought the San Francisco Bay 3 pks,as each pack comes all ready to go--you just add water. :) With my personal experiences,anything else made too many shrimp at one time and often they would die after a couple of days before I'd get to use half of them. I also had a few times where the shrimp got too big and I had to feed them to bigger fish. :rolleyes:

This last time they didn't have what I normally buy and I bought another brand.It's not working out at all,and it's ticking me off because Won grew so fast when I fed them to him.These guys have mostly been eating Hikari first bites...I have not even a frozen cube right now to feed them. :idont:thud

Congrats!!

Glad the fry are doing good :D

Edited by Fuzzy Peaches

:nana Pics FINALLY!! How adorable are they?! :heart Congrats Sharon!! :D

They are doing really well on the First Bites - those fry look fat and sassy! I have about 100+ little wiggly fry in my tank - and they eat and eat and eat and eat and eat.....

I have two brine shimp incubators going on the kitchen counter right now - luckily my hubby is not home - he would have a fit.....

I weighed out one of those San Francisco ready to go packets you suggested - separating the salt crystals from the eggs and weighing the amount of eggs and salt per 1 litre. I have tried again - one incubator has the SanFran packet like you described and one has a mix that copies what was in that mix by weight.....

With luck, I will have some swimming shrimp for tomorrow. I will put them on the hot air returns from the furnace. It is 14F degrees out in the sun right now - wind chill is -5F. No chance they will hatch on the counter if I leave them there too long.

I am actually considering adding in a real bonified heater into the fry tank. I am a bit fearful of it overheating, though. The light bulb from a little light has worked well in the past - and gives the light and heat to the brine shrimp hatchery I have in there......

The tank is at an even 70F.... only drops to 69F at night, so it is fine for fry, I hope.....

What do you do with all your fry you hatch out?

:rolleyes: You mean goldfish fry? In truth,Won Ton was the first and only egg I let hatch. I just couldn't picture having a ton of baby Orandas,but by the time I got to the tank,there were only a couple eggs on a plant leaf.

Because all my original fish were mutts,and very sick when they arrived here,I always knew that I wouldn't let tthe others breed. Won came from good stock. :D

Recently at a local Mom and Pop store,I started taking my Bristlenose out and selling them.They also said they definately want my Cory babies and any thing else I want to bring..I always hated the thought of doing this because I had awful visions of new fish people buying and killing my babies,but when the Bristles became a couple hundred,I knew Quality of life could not continue being kept up at this level.

So far,I've taken about 150 of my Bristles out there,and have a bunch more :rolleyes:

Carol,I don't know if I'll be ble to give up my goldie babies...Let's hope,as I rent now,and someone may not like the fact of the wall to wall tanks. :yikes:thud

Will you be able to take some babes to the Goldfish SHows?(Or are you sizing up new tanks as we speak?) :rofl

Whoooo! :)

Congrat's Sharon. The little bugger's are SO cute. :heart

I bet your keeping busy with all those babie's!! Congrat's again. I can't wait to see how they look as they get older. :heart

Thanks Dells! And you know what? When I went in to change out the Parents tank,Ollie(Boy Ranchu) was chasing another Ranchu Smack,and I'll tell you,enough allready!!!! :thud:rofl

I apperently own a lot of new girls. :krazy:

:o:tomuch: Geeeez!

Enough is right! Your going to be busier than you thought if that keep's up! ;)

:rofl YEP!!! Although small amounts (thank goodness) there's allready 2 sets of fry in that tank. :rofl

I weighed out one of those San Francisco ready to go packets you suggested - separating the salt crystals from the eggs and weighing the amount of eggs and salt per 1 litre. I have tried again - one incubator has the SanFran packet like you described and one has a mix that copies what was in that mix by weight.....

You make hatching brine shrimp sound hard. I use the San franciso brand of brine shrimp. It's the smallest strain and your goldfish can eat them the minute they become free swimming. When hatching brine shrimp I use quart jars. I fill the jar close to the top. Then put in 1 tablespoon of salt an air stone then add eggs. The amount of eggs I put in depends on how much shrimp I need.

What do you do with all your fry you hatch out?

If you have any healthy poor quality babies that you don't want to keep. You could send them to me and I'll put them in my pond.

oh How did I miss this thread? They are very beautiful. Congrats Sharon!!!

Congratulations Sharon on your sweet little fry! The pictures were wonderfuly clear - they are sooo tiny! Best wishes for continud health for your babies! BTW - i love the name of this thread, it really made me laugh!