Oceanic Tanks

denniss

So this begins with my quest to buy a bigger corner tank for our family room. About two years ago, I bought a 40 gallon "Stretch Hex" tank and stand by Oceanic Systems. A VERY nice piece of gear. This tank was definitely a cut above the rest, and the stand matched our home entertainment gear which is in the vicinity (black and glass).

After searching on line and in stores, I found that Oceanic Systems offers (so I thought) a 92 gallon corner tank on a similarly styled stand. All-Glass also makes and offers a 92 gallon tank on a not-so-nice pine stand. After talking to a half dozen stores, and leaving my name with even more, the story emerged.

Oceanic Systems was bought by the same company that owns All-Glass about four or five years ago. Apparently both brands remained in the market, with Oceanic the "higher line" brand. Well, it seems that the plant that manufactures Oceanic is in Texas and recently closed its doors. The company is consolidatiing its manufacturing in Wisconsin or Minnesota or wherever All-Glass is located. Since the 92 gallon corner was offered by both companies, it seems that there will be a consolidation of the product line, with some product being offered as All Glass and some offered as Oceanic systems.

What this meant is that I could not order an Oceanic Systems tank in December. I was told to wait until January or so, and then inquire to see if the company knows what it is doing. I am still waiting, but I thought I would pass this story along in case there are any other Oceanic fans out there. I'm afraid that I may have to settle for the All Glass. I'm sure that the tank is fine, but that stand...

In the meanwhile, I'm a water changing fool on my 40, as the fish keep gettiing bigger and bigger.

Dennis

I really like the thicker glass - the whole tank of an Oceanic is much more solidly constructed. AllGlass, is however, fine for most applications. I ordered a 58 breeder Oceanic last year - summer - and received one in record time. That store that ordered for me has since gone out of business, so I do not know where I will be able to get another Oceanic.....

We recently had a new store open - one that carries puppies and kittens, so I have shunned it - but it has 2 of those 92 corners from OCeanic standing in the tank staging area...... If they got them since August, you, hopefully should be able to do so, too...... maybe? I have actually been eyeing them - thinking of trading up from my 56 corner...... I just cannot bring myself to deal with that store!

I guess it is possible that they ordered store stock many many months in advance and had the merchandice waiting in a warehouse until they opened.....

I hope Oceanic tanks continue to be available. I like the quality and I particularly like the size and dimension selection.....

Daryl - That's exactly what I have been looking for, a store that bought some stock in advance of the plant closing. That's why I have tried innumerable stores, who have all checked with the distributor, etc. No luck. I will have a local dealer call Oceanic and see what the story is. I also hope that these tanks continue to be available, as the market should be able to sustain at least one higher-line brand.

Now if Chicago wasn't quite so far....

Dennis

Yeah, my LFS told me last fall that they would not be able to get Oceanic any more. Heck I've got 2 58s a 70 and a 120 Oceanic, and a 40 cube Oceanic that is a hospital tank. No way I want to go back to All-Glass; the Oceanics are MUCH prettier. And Dory and Nemo need an upgrade. The Oceanic 110 would be perfect and I might be up for a drive to Chicago to get one....

Dave

It is not all that far! :) I made it to Columbus and back in two days - with only a flat tire and an exciting tire change in the salt spray at the side of the freeway!!!! :rolleyes:;)

I will stop in next week and make a list of exactly what that store has..... if you are actually considering it, you should know what is actually there.....

Gosh - I wish they did not sell puppies and kittens..... :(

I was told at both the vvvv here and at the one local chain that we have in the area that they would no longer be carrying the Oceanic tanks any longer :( . That is why I was able to get the two I have at such a low price.

Is topped into that store this morning. The only Oceanic tank left is a 90 gallon bowfront - complete with a HUGE wooden hood and stand. It is a monstorous looking thing. (What ever happened to pretty tanks.....)

$740. for the tank, hood and stand. That is silly.

Sorry - I guess someone else found out the benefits of Oceanic tanks - and bought them.....

I know of one more place that might have back stock... I will call later.

:(

Daryl - Thanks for the effort. I'm starting to work on convincing myself to like the All Glass. I will follow-up because I do want to know what the outcome of this "re-alignment" is between the two companies, and if they intend to continue to offer a high-line. In the meantime, I have seen a number of Oceanics at Petcos and Pet Smarts in New Jersey (not the one I want, of course), which may be going very cheaply. I may just find another corner of the house where one of these might fit.

Dennis

I find it so sad and kinda scary that quality equipment, among other things, is being retired - being replaced by "less-than" products. What is the world coming to. It happens (and always has happened, unfortunately) all too often. :(

I find it so sad and kinda scary that quality equipment, among other things, is being retired - being replaced by "less-than" products. What is the world coming to. It happens (and always has happened, unfortunately) all too often. :(

Amen, Sister. It is a sad day, indeed when we can't even pay a premium and get Oceanic tanks. Least Common Denominator rules, I guess.

Dave

• 1 month later...
Guest chevyygirl

Ok, so I was looking at getting an Oceanic tank and now I can't find one. That being the case, what other tank recommendations can you guys give me? I'm kind of iffy about the AllGlass, but keep in mind I'm still a fishie newbie :)

The ONLY thing around here of any "quality" left is AllGlass. Everything else is steps down on the scale of quality. I do not even have a place that can order anything else, now.

:(

On a better note, my AllGlass tanks are doing fine and holding up in perfect condition. They just do not come in some of the sizes I prefer. :)

Guest MidnightClyde

Ok, so I was looking at getting an Oceanic tank and now I can't find one. That being the case, what other tank recommendations can you guys give me? I'm kind of iffy about the AllGlass, but keep in mind I'm still a fishie newbie :)

Allglass is probably your best bet.

I've also heard very very good things about perfecto.... although maybe someone else could tell you horror stories. From what I've been told 'Allglass' and 'Perfecto' are the only two quality aquarium makers left.

And for everyone talking about vvvv and buying Oceanic there: I though all vvvv got rid of everything so that they could push their own brand (Topfin)? All the ones I've been to in North Carolina only sell Topfin stuff.... and it's pure crap

Edit: BTW, I have an Allglass aquarium as well

Edited by MidnightClyde

I stopped into p-mart to check out the oceanics they had left. They have the 58 gallon from the shaker collection (with white wood cabinet-style stand), a 30 gallon hex, and a 46 gallon bow front. There may be more at the other p-mart across town. If anyone is nearby and is dying for an oceanic...

:) My vvvv has a few left also. We have another on the East side of town, but I have not checked that one. Makes me want to stock up on them for the future, but the future would come too quickly as empty tanks seem to be against my way of thinking. :krazy: