Sign in to follow this  
Guest AliK

Plug-in Air Fresheners Lethal To Fish?

Guest AliK

Today I visited a great little aquarium store near where I live in the UK. The very nice, helpful and knowledgeable assistant (possibly the owner) who I was having a chat with warned me never to use plug-in air fresheners in the same or nearby rooms to my fishtank, because the chemicals in them were lethal to fish (and also incidentally small birds!).

She went on to tell the story of one of her customers losing an entire marine set up because his wife plugged one in next to the filter inlet. :(

She said they have been trying to get the manufacturers to label the products as dangerous to aquatic life, but so far with no success.

I assume she knows what she is talking about and thought I'd mention it, because it just had never occurred to me! Have you heard of this happening?

Hmm.. I have a Airwick one very close to a fish tank. I also have one of those Freshmatic ones that sprays every 36 minutes 2 doors down. I have never had a problem. :blink:

We have the plug in airfreshners and fish are all fine.

yep, and that woman is right! imagine someone constantly putting air fresheners in your heating vents & air ducts... the smell and chemicals (to create those smells) eventually become so overwhelming that you suffocate! so yeah, it's not a good idea to use those things near fishies... :(

the same goes for spray air fresheners, smoking... and the list goes on... :krazy:

I have Glad plug-in's all over the house as well, I have never had an issue with them.

I havent had a problem with air fresheners, but when i was putting a protective coat of varnish over the top of my dreser, the next day all the fish were bottom sitting...

I agree that it is bad for birds since they are so sensative to smells and certain chemicals stick to their feathers and cause feather picking, but I have never heard anything about fish. I would think that as long as it's not plugged into the same switch plate as the tank or it doesn't sit on top of the tank it shouldn't be a problem-just my :twocents

Let's put it this way, if a plug-in air freshener is lethal to fish, I wouldn't want to be breathing the air either.

Dennis

Maybe it was near an air pump. Air pumps suck air directly surrounding it and pumps into into the water. This can cause any air-born chemicals to be dissapated into the water and can directly affect the fish. :(

When I was much younger we had an aquarium and all the fish died from my dad using bug spray in the same room.

I read that all those household chemicals from air fresheners, cleaners, insecticides, etc. make the air inside your home more lethal than the pollution outside. Can't be good for anyone in the long run--think cancer causing at worst and respiratory problems at the least. That's why I only use all natural products from the health food store. They work fine and I don't have to worry so much. :P

Nenn made a really good point about the air pumps. Maybe i'm an airhead (pardon the pun) but i never really thought about the fact that air is going directly into the tank. I had always been cautious about using sprays in the vicinity but now that i'm reminded of the air pump i'll be extra careful! Thanks Nenn for reminding me!

I've used spray air fresheners, and I have a plug-in one from Bath and Body Works, and I haven't had any problems with them.

When I was much younger we had an aquarium and all the fish died from my dad using bug spray in the same room.

I read that all those household chemicals from air fresheners, cleaners, insecticides, etc. make the air inside your home more lethal than the pollution outside. Can't be good for anyone in the long run--think cancer causing at worst and respiratory problems at the least. That's why I only use all natural products from the health food store. They work fine and I don't have to worry so much. :P

My solution? Don't clean! You'll have a VERY healthy immune system, and apparently, healthy fish! Who could ask for anything more?

I use plug in air fresheners aswell but only for an hour a day then turn them off. They are a huge fire hazard due to overheating if left on all the time apparently.

I have not had a problem yet but they are not close to the tanks and pumps so maybe thats why.

I wont use sprays at all, (airfreshner or insects killer) as I think the sprays particles go up in the air and can settle in the water much faster/easier then a plug in.

Ha! I like that idea about not cleaning. :exactly It's people that overreact and try to kill every germ out there that are causing the more resistant strains and then you have to use even harsher chemicals to try and kill them. Turns into an endless, mindless cycle. So I'll live with a few germs and help the environment.

:rofl I love that no cleaning ideas aswell

Unfortunately I am a compulsive/obsessive cleaner and with the almost "farm" of animals I have in my home I HAVE to clean

I lead a sad life :P

I have one of those plugin by the Goldfish tank and there seem to be no problem at all. However, from time to time, I have sprayed rooms with an air freshener and I was worried that it might somehow harm them, but so far, everything is okay.

Thunder

I have Merlin our parrot,and the fin family,and I do not use any artificial scents.I have two friends who are very sensitive to artificial scents.The scents affect their whole bodies,mind(one was having memory problems!),lungs.I am allergic to them(triggers asthma).Bottom line artificial scents are harmful to our pets and us,it may have an immediate effect or a cumulative effect.Not worth the risk.

For cleaning I use vinegar,baking soda,lemon juice.Oxyclean is not bad.GSE(Grapefruit seed extract) is a really good natural cleaner,a few drops in water is all it takes.Hard to find and expensive but lasts long.

For air freshening I simmer water with orange peel,cloves,cinnamon,vanilla.Smells divine :) I use the stove,but you can but tiny electric potpourri pots(look like slow cookers) that work great.Also for really bad odors simmering vinegar & water will eliminate them,not just mask them.

Edited by merlinsmom

Ive never been a fan of air fresheners or anything like that. They just seem so un-necessary. Its quite well known that many smellies can be irritants triggering off some peoples asthma etc...

Ive kept hermit crabs in my room now for ten years and b/c they breathe through modified gills nothing gets sprayed in my room. No deoderants nothing. Indeed if there is ever painting or anything going on then the door is shut and a draft excluder put at the bottom.

What Nenn has said about the air pumps is absolutely accurate and while your never going to have a totally pure environment I think its common sense to avoid such things near the tank.

My solution? Don't clean! You'll have a VERY healthy immune system, and apparently, healthy fish! Who could ask for anything more?

Cleaning? What is this word cleaning you speak of? :rofl

For air freshening I simmer water with orange peel,cloves,cinnamon,vanilla.Smells divine :) I use the stove,but you can but tiny electric potpourri pots(look like slow cookers) that work great.

Ooh, I never thought about making my own air freshning liquid, sounds nice!

I'll take it without the cloves though, I spent a few months in the lab extracting clove oil and quickly got tired of smelling like bologne all the time.

I never heard of air fresheners being lethal to fish but thank you for the info!

I never use any perfumes, cleaners, pesticides, or candles in my room. I have too many sensitive fish and mice to risk it. If I really need to clean something, I'll spray the windex or whatever onto a paper towel down the hallway, then bring it in and clean the surface with that. That is why I generally don't recomend keeping fish in your bathroom. I usually wear scented lotion or oils instead of spray perfume, but if I do, I apply it in the bathroom. Any airborne pesticide will kill your fish. Some types are supposed to be really safe, like the kind that is applied along the sides of your floor, but I still don't risk it. We had one of those guys come over and I insisted on moving every single breathing animal out of the house. We put the dog, cats, mice and fish ALL in the care and went to a friend's house for the day. Then when I came back I changed most of the water too. Okay, I'm paranoid...but I didn't have any deaths :)

I have Merlin our parrot,and the fin family,and I do not use any artificial scents.I have two friends who are very sensitive to artificial scents.The scents affect their whole bodies,mind(one was having memory problems!),lungs.I am allergic to them(triggers asthma).Bottom line artificial scents are harmful to our pets and us,it may have an immediate effect or a cumulative effect.Not worth the risk.

For cleaning I use vinegar,baking soda,lemon juice.Oxyclean is not bad.GSE(Grapefruit seed extract) is a really good natural cleaner,a few drops in water is all it takes.Hard to find and expensive but lasts long.

For air freshening I simmer water with orange peel,cloves,cinnamon,vanilla.Smells divine :) I use the stove,but you can but tiny electric potpourri pots(look like slow cookers) that work great.Also for really bad odors simmering vinegar & water will eliminate them,not just mask them.

This sounds like so much fun. I love the idea of natural cleaners and making your own scents. Can you use that air freshener with a hot pot?

Edited by Kissy

:) That sounds good, I'm going to try it.