Sign in to follow this  
KelzosWifey

Human Health - Important Q

Hi all, I am about 11 weeks pregnant and was wondering if I should be taking any precautions while cleaning out my tank. I do not treat my tanks with chemicals but for algae remover and regular old aquarium salt. I fiured I should ask b/c I'd rather be safe than sorry... :blink:

Congrats Erin!!! :nana

lol, thanks Erin :)

That's why I haven't been on in a bit - i've been *so* nauseous and tired. It's passing now, thank goodness!

Edited by KelzosWifey

You and Della should talk, you're in the same boat!! Keep us updated hun! :heart

Congrats on your pregnancy is it your first?

I dont think theres much in the way that should concern you as long as you thoroughly wash your hands after being in the tank, and dont place your hands in if you have any open cuts or scratches.

:) Congrats to you! I wouldn't think salt would be an issue, not sure about the other though!

Hmmm, I think I'll get some of those aquarium gloves just to be on the safe side... My LFS doesn't carry them, maybe I'll try Fosters and Smith?

Yep, it's our first. I'm not due till august 15th. I've been so preoccupied lately, but no worries, both the goldies and dog are still getting luv from thier mum :)

congrats!!! :)

it shouldn't be a problem... as long as you keep your hands clean. if you've got cuts/sores/etc., then you just keep out of the water.

oh yeah, last thing... no more kissing your fishies! :heart hehehe...

Whoooo! Another BABY!!! YAY:)

Congrat's--I am about 10 week's along now. How cool! When are you due Erin?

I don't think those thing's should be an issue but someone else might know better than I would.

Hi Della! How cool is this? We are due within a week of eachother! Good luck with your pregnancy too :)

My youngest is also due at that same time!!! How cool is that? :D

You do say "algae cleaner".... that is slightly disturbing. REmember - algaecides are herbacides - poison. Some can be absorbed through the skin. Not very much -a nd you are useing very little, but I think, if I were your mother, I would suggest that you either skip the algaecide or wear the aquarium gloves.....

Open cuts, etc. are a doorway to infection - something your body does not need to deal with at this time. Wear the gloves.

Now - have I nagged you enough? Am I being a good "mommy?"

;):yeah:

Guest ranchurule

congrats and i wouldn't worry but the gloves would probaly be best

you should probably be careful with your testing chemicals too! I don't know whats in them, but they usually warn about skin contact.

Don't put anything in your tank but salt. If you do be sure to wear gloves.

Congrat Erin!!! Wearing gloves is a good idea for you. Good Luck

Congratulations on your pregnancy :D The others have given you good advice so I'll just say that :)

I was just thinking about you and wondering where you had been...Congrats! I'm so very happy for you! Big Al's has gloves that go up to your shoulders (i so need those) and you can order them online I believe.

Looking forward to seeing all these cute babies!!! I'm about to whine that I want one!

Aww, thanks everyone and conrats to you too Daryl! August is going to be an exciting month around here!

I ordered some gloves last night from Fosters and Smith, they should be here in a few days. From now on, no more hands in the tank :P

I had to be in there last night to cover the bubble disc, but I used a very long fish net and my long algae scraper to do the landscaping, not easy! lol...

Congrats to the baby! :D

I recommend not putting pickled herrring on your toast for breakfast.

Now - personally I like pickled herriing. But I understand the pleasant aroma may turn an expecting woman's stomach.

:D

:exactly Thanks for the tip but I don't eat any kind of fish anyways - it always has made my stomach flip!

We have a new rule in the office -- no eating fish around me. Someone did last week and I was so close to getting sick... bleah :ill

Congrats! When I found out I was pregnant I went to my doctor with ingredients lists of all the medications and chemicals we use in the tanks at work and the ones I use at home, I tried to cover everything that I might come into contact with; she said I shouldn't have to worry about any of them. Gloves are never a bad idea, but I worked with fish eight hours a day (not counting my own!) up until two days before my son was born and he was completely healthy.

Daniel - you are WICKED! :rofl:wa:wa

When my daughter was home over Christmas/NewYears, she was having difficulties with nausea....

I only hope that you, Daniel, get the pleasure of sitting next to a pregnant woman in her first trimester on the NEXT plane flight you take.

;):yeah::rofl

That nausea should disappear almost as fast as the "sleepy twilight haze" you spent walking around in for the first 4-5 weeks of your pregnancy.

:)