Egg Again

small_ranchu

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was 2 1/2 days after hatching when I started feeding newly hatched brine shrimp. Exactly when they will be ready to eat will depend on temp. I started doing 50% water changes the day after they started eating. Newly hatched brine shrimp is not only the best food you can feed your babies but they will eat the brine shrimp until their full and their bellys will be a nice orange color from the shrimp. You don't have to worry about the fish over eating at this stage. The fuller you can keep their bellies the better. After they have eaten their fill of the brine shrimp they will stop searching for food and sit at the middle to upper level of the tank. This is a good time to do the water change and suck all the junk off the bottem because the babies are off the bottom and out of the way. I took the gravel vac off and used the 9/16 hose.

San franciso brand brine shrimp is the smallest strain and your babies will be able to eat them the minute they become free swimming. If you get another brand of brine shrimp it will be a larger strain and be too big for the babies to eat them right away.

I had mine a in a 29 gallon aquarium with 10 gallons of water in it. My babies were full of brine shrimp and sitting at the middle to upper level of the tank which made it easy to do the water changes without having to worry about sucking them up. For the first 2 to 3 week I didn't use a heater because I had a container of water that I let sit next to the aquarium over night for the water change. This way the water temps. matched. I also added the new water with a pitcher and poured the water on the inside glass of the aquarium and let it run down to minimize the currents.