Do Fish Change Colors

Guest ranchurule

Yep, they sure do.

It's very common in black goldfish that aren't kept in natural light, especially. But there are lots of pics of orange goldies or calicos changing colors too.

My black moore is already showing color changes on his belly and interestingly enough, so is my orange fantail. Her belly's getting a little light.

yes, two of mine used to be black with orange, now they are all orange!!

i also had an chocolate oranda that turned completely orange/red!

It is very common for very young goldfish to be a bronzy "green" color. As they age, they begin to take on their "adult" color. Color in a goldfish is rarely solid in a goldfish. Depending on the genetic makeup of the fish, the color can be more or less stable.

Black is typically a very unstable color on a goldfish. Black is a fairly common color in a very young fish, but will often disappear as the fish ages. An all black fish will often start to turn reddish in the belly, the red grows and the black receeds and the fish becomes all red! White and red can move around on a fish - in an everchanging kalidescope of coloration.

It is usually advisable to pick a fish for the fish's breed, body conformation, and general coloration, but never for a specific "marking" on the fish for the majority do not remain the same throughout life. A fish with cute black tips on its fins may not have that black for long.

Some lines of fish have the color well set in the genetic code and these fish have color that is more permanent. For example: RedCaps are usually bred so tightly with only RedCaps, that a redcap is mostly going to stay white with a red cap all its life......

Koko enjoys describing the "outfit" her goldies wear for each season. :yeah:;)

:rofl Koko is funny! Describing her fishies new outfits for the season... that's darling! Hey! I wanna be a goldfish! That way I'd always get new outfits for free!!! :clapping:

hi ranchurule

Yes they sure do change

My two Ranchus have changed...more white on one and the other lost all its black markings and is now all orange/red

My butterfly oranda lost her black markings as she matured and spawned.

My moor is still as black as midnight! :)

The offspring from the butterfly tail oranda and the blue oranda is that gold/olive green color but he/she was only born in Nov.....

As Daryl said juvinalle fish, in the first year, dont often display the colors of the parents or a combination till they older. Possibly a year till they get their color, then this can change again.

I watch and take photos in anticipation of seeing what color my fry will be

Enjoy it.....its wonderful to watch them grow and change :)

When I first got the orange Goldfish, he had some white markings. Now, he is more fully orange. I'm not sure if he will develop any other color. I have one that looks like Daryl's, the one with the cap, and I guess it was already going thru color changes, but I'm not sure if the cap was previously full black or it already had the orange spot. The calico that I have, there was more orange on his front face (or top head) and I've noticed that black spots are developing over it. The red/white Ryukin had some changes in the red markings.

Thunder

Since the coloration of an adult fish is genetically determined, and the wen is is simply part of the fish's body, I think its changing or not is going to be genetically predetermined, as well. The exception would be whether it was tightly bred to be a red cap oranda. I have heard of other people's fish's wens changing.

Edited by goldenlady