Moose Is A Mommy!

Aleiah

omg, we're freaking out right now... within an hour, our 33-gal tank is now sprinkled with eggs!!! :blink:

hubby-to-be is downstairs scrubbing out a spare plastic tank right now, and i'm on my way out to get an airstone...

we're afraid that the eggs are unfertilized, but it's still so exciting! so my question is... is it possible for an oranda and a telescopic eye to breed? :unsure: (dad, Bugsy, is in my signature)

Edited by Aleiah

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks everyone! i've just now had to start reading on breeding, to try to provide the best as we can for our eggs! :newfish oh please pray for us, since this is our first time ever coming across anything like this! :heart

Man it seems like a fertile time of year-good luck!

no kidding!!! they must suffer from cabin fever just like the rest of us hiding from the old weather! :krazy:

Best of luck Aleiah! Hope you find some fertilized eggs!

we hope so too! this is so exciting!

A big Yes...

Congrat!!! and good luck w/ everything..

WOOHOO!!! so there is hope!

Yay how exciting!! I hope they are fertilized too. Keep us updated! :D

i most definitely will keep you guys updated! we're going to need alot of help and advice, and you guys have been more than wonderful with all your assistance and knowledge! :heart

one thing we noticed though... moose is STILL laying eggs! it's been about 5 hours, and we're still noticing a few come out every now and then. is that normal?

it's the funniest thing though... while moose and bugsy are "breeding", sparky's just swimming around, oblivious that there's some hankypanky going on! :rofl i guess she must be too young to know what that's about... :rolleyes: hehehe!

is it possible for an oranda and a telescopic eye to breed?

A big Yes...

Congrat!!! and good luck w/ everything..

i just thought of something... if, in fact, the eggs are fertilized, then what genes are dominant/recessive? i mean, likewhat kind of goldfish can we expect to see? telescopic orandas? :blink:

Im not sure what the fry will be like, I am in the same boat though. My pom pom spawned with a telescope! My fry are 2 weeks along now and I am excited to see how they turn out!

Have you got the eggs out of the tank? Your goldies will eat them if you leave the eggs in there. You can look at my thread too, Ive had a lot of help along the way. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=55755

Edited by glitterfish

From what I've read about genetics the wild genes are dominate. Since both your fish are fancies I don't know what your fry will be. My female was a telescope and the male was a subunkin. I was hoping for some fantails but all my fry were subunkin/comets.

well, i've taken pix of our temporary set up... unfortunately, i forgot my cable to upload the pix. *doh!* i'm really worried about the eggs, but still filled with alot of anticipation! i know it's only been 24 hours since the eggs were laid, but i'm still a little confused as to when we should start seeing the black dots, fungused eggs, etc... also, did we remove the eggs too soon? HTB has taken 2 cups of water (1 yesterday, 1 today) from the original tank and poured it into the temporary tank, just to be sure that the eggs get fertilized...

after reading glitterfish's entire thread, i feel that i've come away with alot of new info! but i'm still worried about these lil guys... :unsure: *sigh* the joys and neuroticism of parenthood... :rolleyes:

From what I've read about genetics the wild genes are dominate. Since both your fish are fancies I don't know what your fry will be. My female was a telescope and the male was a subunkin. I was hoping for some fantails but all my fry were subunkin/comets.

man, johann mendel could really help us out here right about now! :rofl

thanks though! :)

well, i've taken pix of our temporary set up... unfortunately, i forgot my cable to upload the pix. *doh!* i'm really worried about the eggs, but still filled with alot of anticipation! i know it's only been 24 hours since the eggs were laid, but i'm still a little confused as to when we should start seeing the black dots, fungused eggs, etc... also, did we remove the eggs too soon? HTB has taken 2 cups of water (1 yesterday, 1 today) from the original tank and poured it into the temporary tank, just to be sure that the eggs get fertilized...

after reading glitterfish's entire thread, i feel that i've come away with alot of new info! but i'm still worried about these lil guys... :unsure: *sigh* the joys and neuroticism of parenthood... :rolleyes:

Within 48 hours you should notice the white eggs. You'll want to get those out asap. Around the same time you should see little black dots or gold flecks in the other ones.

And it's normal to worry. The key here is patience. ;)

Within 48 hours you should notice the white eggs. You'll want to get those out asap. Around the same time you should see little black dots or gold flecks in the other ones.

And it's normal to worry. The key here is patience. ;)

thank you so much!!! :heart i will be putting me chopsticks to lotsa use getting the white eggs out! :exactly

"patience"? hmmmm... i think i might have left it at home this morning! :blink:

but HTB was actually thinking about spending nights here at the office (we have a fully furnished basement here) if in fact we do have fry! he wants to make sure they're well fed and stuff! he's so cute! :heart

yep, the fish are at our office... and i was laughing to myself yesterday too because it was almost like moose knew our office hours! she held off popping out the eggs until we were open! she had the entire weekend to do so, but she probably thought: "nah... i'll hold off until mommy & daddy come into work tomorrow morning!"

:D

ummmm... htb and i are looking right now, and we both see some eggs that are white (which i will be getting rid of), but we see some clear eggs WITH another clear inner sphere in them... and some of these clear spheres have two "tips" at the top of them...

does that mean we have potential fry?? *crossing fingers*

i see some fertilized eggs in the big tank too then! sadly, we aren't able to save them, since they're attached to the tank itself... :(

but i've taken pix, so hopefully i'll remember to post them tonight!

i feel so bad for moose right now... apparently, bugsy did a number on her ysterday with all his chasing. i noticed that she has a tiny tear in her dorsal fin, and another tiny tear in her tail...

so i dropped in some stress coat w/aloe vera in hopes that she'll heal from the breeding frenzy. is there anything else i can do? or does patience play a part in this too? :blink: *lord knows i'm dying here, waiting for the eggs!* :krazy: