Bamboo As Goldy Plant?

lynda441

I ran across this video while looking at another one someone else posted and it brought up a question. Can you really use bamboo as an aquarium plant? Does it really live underwater? Do you just chop it back down when it gets too big? Info please, because I love bamboo....

This question has been asked many times on this board and from what Ive heard it's not a good idea. After awhile, the leaves will suffocate and the plant will rot in your tank. The leaves on the bamboo need to be out of the water. There are good fake look-alikes out there though for you to consider. vvvv.com has some.

Sorry for not knowing that this has been posted before. I've been away for a long time. Just recently returned. I thought that bamboo wouldn't do well under water. Thank you for confirming that. Maybe I can find some nice looking fake stuff. Thanks so much again!

No need to apologize! I didnt mean to sound rude about it or anything. :)

The fake stuff is definitely the way to go unless you can somehow have the tops out of the water. I love the bamboo look too. Good luck and let us know what you get! :D

I saw bamboo in the member's photo section and was extremely excited (my tank has a japanese theme) but the poster said it rotted and died because the leaves do have to be out of water.

But vvvv has bamboo in three sizes so you can create a neat little arrangement! Right now I have that in my tank.

we've had lucky bamboo in our tank for almost a year now, and it still seems to be holding up pretty well... its root system is still pretty strong, and constantly growing. it's completely submerged, but we'll throw in some aquarium plant food once every 2-3 months (since it's the only live plant in there)... we also have the lights on mon-fri.

granted, the color of the bamboo isn't as green as it could be, it is still growing... :yeah: good luck with your bamboo!

Edited by Aleiah

I love bamboo also and I was the one that posted about using live bamboo in the tank. I didn't think it would work as live bamboo's leaves are not submerged in nature.

OK.... I'm going with fake, but vvvv's fake bamboo is really pricy. I understand that Michael's has silk ones, but I am afraid to use anything that is not specifically designed for the acquarium. I would be afraid that the dye, or chemicals in the fake silk plants would harm the fish. So plastic is the way to go I guess. I'm going to look in Chinatown for some plastic bamboo or Bonsai plants to add to my decor.

Ive heard of a lot of people using silk plants from stores. I dont know how safe it is either though. I used the ones from vvvv that were more like the wild bamboo and loved them. They still have the asian feel without the huge pricetag.

• 4 weeks later...

The bamboo in the video is the fake vvvv kind :D

At the 16 second point you can see the bottom of one and it looks like a grey rock with little roots on it. I have the bamboo and that's EXACTLY what the bottom looks like.

It is pricey though : / The small (one bamboo shoot) was like, $6, the medium (three shoots as tall as a 10g tank) were $11 and the large (even taller!) were like $19. I love them though, so pretty looking! I'm going to "plant" mine in little glass vases.

• 1 month later...