Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

A Salt Water Fish Question

Guest watermama

I know of one tank (if you want to call it that) that is roughly 1 cup in size.....he does not keep any fish in there of course, what he does have are some small soft corals like button polyps, yellow and star polyps....stuff like that. And I should state too that he is very experienced at keeping saltwater and has only tried this because not only does he have the knowledge to deal with all the challenges such a small tank will offer, but he also has other tanks that the corals can be placed into should there be a problem.

The smallest salt tank I ever kept was a 5g...but it was not the normal reef tank, it was more a lagoon type tank that had Mermen's shaving brush (a large macro algae), an olive snail and a turbo snail. Interesting at first, especially since I had read that the shaving brush was almost impossible to keep (not so...you just can't have anything that will eat it and low flow is a must!!)...but it got kinda boring 8 months later so I sold all the macro algae and put the snails in the main tank!

:D

Thank you, the reason I asked, was because we were in a pet store the other day, and I was oogling a 55 gal, and hubby muttered something about salt water, and the sales lady informed us that you need at LEAST a 40 gal for salt water....I wondered because I had heard of people keeping live rock in smaller tanks. And then I wondered if I was crazy and imagined that part about people keeping live rock in small salt water tanks..... :P

Thank you,

Jessica