Sign in to follow this  
Guest goldwater

Neon Tetras?

Guest goldwater

I have a 15 gallon tank and two little orandas and I was wondering if a half dozen neon tetras would do them wrong?

I just like the look of a school of fish, but I don't want to hurt my goldies.

Thanks.

Neon tetras won't hurt your goldfish. But your goldfish might eat your neons.

Also, as I'm sure you might realize, tetras prefer warmer temperatures than goldies. I wouldn't mix them personally.

Chrissy

Also with a 15 gal tank with two goldfish you are already overstocked by one fish! The fancy goldfish need at least 10 gal of water each because of their ability to get quite big and because of the amount of waste they produce. If your fish are small and you do regular water changes and test your water often, you will be ok for a while, but do not add any more fish.

Neons are tropical fish and their needs are different from goldfish. They need to be in groups and they need warmer water and because of their small size the goldfish may look at them as a snack and try to eat them. So no, neons and goldfish are not a good combo!

Guest goldwater

yeah i change 30-50% of their water once a week, they are indeed quite small and test it once every week or so as well.

I looked at neon's temperature range and their lower range overlaps with a goldfish's higher range so when it comes to temperature I didn't think it would be an issue.

You'll be putting your fish into an uncomfortable and possibly dangerous situation if you add more, especially neon tetras.

My parents were told by a petstore clerk that they would go great with my comets. I got home and saw them chasing their new "treats." It's generally not a good combination.

yea i tried neons for a little bit.. and sad to say they didn't last a day. the goldfish gobbled them all up.

Guest shin

A long time ago when I did keep neons and goldies together, I would slowly see one by one go missing until I only had 2 left. I wouldnt keep them together because they usually only grow to an inch or an inch and a half I think ;) , whereas goldies can get to 10 inches in a good environment.