Rain Water Better?

Nick

Hey,

My tank is always very acidic... @ about pH 5 .. so i usually add bicarb soda... but i was thinking, if this is because of all the chlorine etc, would it be easier to use rain water from outside? (We've got a 3000L rainwater tank)

And, would i still have to add all my water agers etc?

No - you should not have to add all the "agers". But you will have to realize several things about rain water. It is the ultimate "softened" water - and will have basically NO kH. (or gH,either). This means that it lacks the buffer that holds your pH solid. You will have to add the bicarb soda or some other source of buffer to the water for use, as well as some minerals and such that the goldies require for health and growth.

Rain water is often quite acidic, depending on where it fell. It can gather all kinds of inclusions and particulates, so it is not often very clean. Depending on what various businesses in the area are releasing into the air on the day the water fell, you will have different water inculsions. What material it falls upon (roofing, tin roof, etc) and what the rain barrel is made of can all have effects on the water quality.

Rain water can be quite variable from fall to fall, influenced by a whole host of different environmental factors. The best rain water I ever had was in the plains of Idaho - out in the middle of nowhere. The water there was devoid of buffer, but relatively clean and consistant.

Go ahead and use it. But you may need to filter and treat it all the same. You definately should test it at every use - because it will not be consistant.

:)

The other thing to be mindful of is how you collect rainwater. I used to collect rainwater from my downspouts, but would wait until the rain "flushed" dust & pollen off of the roof. After it had been running and raining a while, it was very clean. I loved the low dissolved solids, because my well water is moderatly hard. I used the rainwater to water my orchids, not for my fish. Orchids loved it, and there was no "salt" build-up on my pots.

Dennis

I use the used fish water to water my orchids! I have to laugh at all the other orchid people who are astounded. They always ask what fertilizer I use!!!! :rofl

Fish waste is good for something, huh? ;):yeah:

Daryl - I also use fish water for plants, but normally when they are outside in summer. That way the rain keeps solids from building up. But you are right, all of the plants do well with that nice dilute nitrate solution. Recycling at its best!

Dennis