Finally My Birthday!

Lyndra

The Christmas tree is down and my birthday is Monday. What has this to do with a tank? Well, I have been waiting for the tree to get taken down and the living room to get back to normal, furnature wise. I have taken some furnature to my house out in the country and now I have room for a descent tank. I'm going shopping this weekend and the tank will be my birthday present to me.

I'm getting a 55 gallon one. The long shallower kind and not the fancy tall deep kind. I understand that the longer tanks are better for goldfish. I have 4 fish now. Do you think I may be able to get 1 more?

What type of filter is the very best? Undergravel? Hood?

I can't wait to see my little "puppies" swimming away in a nice big tank. They have been stuck in a little 12 gallon one since September when I got them. And I have been stuck doing half water changes nearly every day. I didn't have a clue what goldfish needed, but learned quick by posting here. Now I know! I just had to make some room and figure out how I would get a bigger tank into my little house. Problem is now solved and I'm off to the pet store!

I'm going shopping this weekend and the tank will be my birthday present to me.

Awww....that's so sweet....Happy Birthday to you....I can't wait to see some pic;s... :D

Btw, I'll leave someone else to answer about the filter question...

You must be excited! 55 is a great size. Not toooo big, not small by any means.I have a 55. Your fish will love you for it and water changing will get easier in one way...heavier in another :D

I have 3 filters running on my 55. An overhead wet/dry, a side cannister and an external bio-wheel bead/sponge filter. I suggest whatever comes with the tank double it!! if possible I would avoid an undergravel for goldies as many members including myself have had big problems with them and when I had mine I was doing weekly complete water changes to get rid of the gunk that collected under there and I still believe it may have contributed to sbd in one of my fish.

Good luck choosing and keep us posted! Happy Birthday too :D

:) Happy Birthday! A new tank, oh so much fun setting up! Remember the pics once you are finished!

As far as filters go, it all depends on what you like for filters, but remember you need, at the very least, 550gph filtered. If you are going to be stocked to a max. for your size tank you should think of more filtration then just the 550 gph.

When I had my 55 gal tank I ran two Emperor 400's! That gave me 800gph of filtration and it was great! I now have an 85 gal instead and run the two Emperors, and a Rena Xp3 that filters another 350gph! So that gives me 1150gph of filtered water! If you were to use the AquaClear filters, I would put two AquaClear 110's! That would give you 1000 gph!

Hope this helps!

Happy Birthday! :birth

I love 55 gallon tanks. I went from a 60 to a 55 and even though its a bit smaller I love it more because the 60 was too tall. A 55 is perfect in my opinion!

I have 5 fish in my 55 gallon and they do wonderfully. They actually just spawned so they must be happy! :exactly