Omg Eggs!

glitterfish

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update that Im down to one small fry. The 5 larger are still going strong but the smallest in that group isnt growing much either. I suspect that the big one is eating most the food.

The one fry alone is acting spastic so I dont know if he is going to make it either. :cry1

Ah yes, more pics! I moved the 5 into the original 10 gallon with light. I have the smallest one in a 2 1/2 gallon for now. Im not sure that he will make it though. I am happy that black is starting to show on the largest fry! You can see it in a couple of the pics.

This one I posted because he looks so deformed! His back is slightly bent and his face looks weird for some reason. :hmm

fryalmost2months.jpg

See the black on anal fin? :heart

fryalmost2months1.jpg

fryalmost2months2.jpg

Chubby belly!

fryalmost2months3.jpg

Smallest fry left in the 2 1/2 gallon. Poor thing.

fryalmost2months4.jpg

Hi Erin, This is the first time that I've popped into your thread in awhile but OMG did they ever get huge! Last time I saw them they were teeny lil specks... You couldn't even see them without straining your eyes... now they are HUGE!

I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost so many, but it's true, the strongest survive. I love how the big guy has some black coming in. I did notice how one has a crooked spine. I hope it's something that straightens out on it's own. Is he getting enough light? Sometimes az vitamin D deficiency can do that, then again, it could just as well be genetic? Keep us updated.

Isn't it so amazing -- this whole process? I'm glad that u got to have this fry rearing experience -- I know it seems like alot of work but you have had so much fun and have learned alot (and of course have kept us all entertained ) :)

Thanks Fred!

Erin, yep I noticed that that one was deformed looking. He has been like that since he was very small, I always thought something looked wrong with his gills when he was tiny. Funny how he is one of the strongest ones! :blink:

I know what you mean Erin.I have three different sized fry that all look quite happy/chubby,and then I have four that seem to be so tender and small.I know for sure that one of those is kind of bent near his tail,but

I am no "culler" though,and as long a the fish continues to eat and carry on,I will welcome him to stay with me for as long as he is able to.Hannibal is getting so big compared to the other's that I swear if he wanted to ,he could eat the 4 small ones. :blink:

Pics are great by the way. :D

Yes I've noticed that one of your fry was deformed, I didn't want to say anything.

I had a few strange things too, when I had my first fry inside, I could take them down while they were still very tiny.

But the ones I found in the pond were so big, if anyone of them have had any bad deformitys I couldn't do anything...

But the only strange ones are Belly and Brownie, and they are doing fine!

I will always remember my first fry, Maxi, and his deformitys, I loved him anyway but he died of dropsy...

That's what I was thinking when I saw the pic - he has a similar head to Basil. I'm actually curious to see how they turn out and I agree, I couldn't cull them so they have a home with me for the duration of their lives - warts and all :D

They're looking great though Erin - getting bigger by the day (hmmm, except for your little fella :( ) but if you get moment, would you be able to take another pic of your funny little one? I'd love to see if his head's the same as Basils :D

Thanks you guys! :D

Jen, I will definitely get another pic of Donnie (long story!) for you when I turn the lights back on. It almost looks like his mouth is on the side? And his back is bent too. :hmm

Awwww - do you know what? I :heart Donnie - he's just so uniquely special. I think his head is a little like Basil's but time will tell. Donnie needs to catch up a little more in growth and then we can do a side by side :D I suspect they'll be very similar in the face though so they can become Donnie and Basil - the unrelated Bro's :D

Guest myfourgoldies

Thank you for posting all of this infomation and the pics. I just found this thread and have spent my morning reading it from start to finish. I was so exciting and informative. I just LOVE you pics and the babies are so darn cute. I have just had a hatching on my tank. (Totally unexpected) I didn't even realize I had eggs (BAD goldfish mommy!!!!) But I am thrilled to have rescued about 40+ of the little ones. Mine are nothing exciting just regular feeder fish so I will not get the gorgeous little ones you have.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks for the posting all the information here has really helped my prepare myself for the journey ahead. I must say I am really not lokking forward to the deaths.... But the cycle of life goes on. I think this will be a one time ocation for me I can not handle the stress!!!! I already bought a new tank to separate the girls and boys. Mine are 4 days old now and this is going to be one exciting ride.

Once again THANK YOU!!!

Jen ~ :heart I hope that Donnie becomes to look like Basil! Sooner than later Im going to have to seperate the big one as he is a PIG! :rolleyes: Then maybe the others can grow a bit quicker.

myfourgoldies ~ Im so glad this thread has helped you! And there are nothing wrong with "feeders"! They can be some of the most gorgeous fish. Congrats on the babies! :D