Omg Eggs!

glitterfish

I do not think anything is wrong - every fish and every spawning is different. Yours appear to be fat and sassy and getting along in the way they were meant to.

I would hold off moving them to a bigger tank - it makes the food that much more difficult for them to find in a such a large volume in comparison to the tiny fish. Good food availability is very important for a tiny baby.

I would also hold off shipping for a bit. You want to see them coping easily with different foods, different waters (good water changes every other day or so with no problems you can observe) and to be big enough they can withstand a 2-3 day fast without dying. At 1 inch, they are evey really kind of small for that.....

Baby creatures are always sooooo cute - that allows them to survive! ;) Yours are very very cute.

The protruding eyes of a moor fish are a recessive genetic trait. It has a few modifiers ( fish carrying one gene for the globe eye may demonstrate a more protruding eye than one that carries none ... and it has been noted that partial expression can be possible on different eyes...) but in general, the simple Mendelian pattern is followed. If your pompon fish is carrying a recessive globe eye, the babies may have globe eyes. If not, they will not. Some may have more protruding eyes than normal, but, in general,you will most likely not get the ponderous eyes of a moor.

The poms are a very complicated trait - they appear to be one of the traits of goldfish that involve many genes.... it is called "polygenic". This means that many genes all play a part in controlling what may or may not be expressed in a fish - and to what degree. This can occur within a spawn, or within a single fish! I want poms on my lionheads and ranchus, but have been having GREAT difficulty finding out much information about it! I hope to find out, soon, imperically, rather than by simply research! ;):yeah:

I hope you get poms! Telepoms is a really great term!!!!! :rofl

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thanks daryl for the info! Darn, sounds like I may not get any telescopes. :glare: And maybe no poms either!!

Yes I will keep them in the 10 for awhile yet. I will move a couple of my adults to the 40 when I get it setup then. I will wait to ship until they are sturdy and strong too. :)

I would wait and see....

I am GREAT with book learning and asking questions from those who have done it. I can read and understand all that is printed.

But I have NEVER done it myself. So I am talking with no actual experience to back my "talk". (blowing it out my ears? ;) )

I will be VERY curious to know what you do get - and to what degree the various traits are expressed, and on what percentage of the progeny they are expressed.

Information is great! Books are great!

But nothing compares to the actual "doing".... which is what you are doing. :)

:) I love to learn and what better way than to do your own "experiment"? If only I could take credit!! :rofl I am very excited to see what I get here with these babies. The parents are gorgeous even in just coloration so Im sure the babies will be just as delightful. :heart

My fish are not an inch yet. Is something wrong?

Nothing is wrong. I would guess that it's a combination of having them in a small tank and feeding them dry food. Are you still doing daily water changes?

I used to put my babies in 10 gallon aquariums because I thought that 10 gallons would be a good size because the babies were so small. But they never grew very fast in a 10 gallon. Even tho the babies are little you still have a lot of fish in a small tank. I would move them to the 40 gallon as soon as you have it ready to add fish. I would start by filling the tank 1/4 with water and add more water as the babies grow. If you start feeding brine shrimp you won't have to worry about them finding food in the larger tank because the brine shrimp will live for hours and your babies will find them and eat them all or eat until their full.

I am very excited to see what I get here with these babies. The parents are gorgeous even in just coloration so Im sure the babies will be just as delightful. :heart

Spoken like a true parent! :exactly

lol, this is how i'm feeling right now about my own little peanut. I can't wait to meet him or her and can only wonder what he or she looks like and takes after... I wish I could just speed things along sometimes... :D

:) You have done really well with them Erin and should be proud of yourself. :exactly I think some fry dying is just part of it all and very much a part of life.(Yeah,I sound so calm and cool now,but you should have seen me when 2 of my fry died) :rolleyes: I cried as water params ,etc were perfect and I couldn't figure out what had happened. :(

The fry in my pond grew faster than the fry I raised inside, that's my experience. I guess there were some nutricious mosquito larvae and such in the pond. But not everyone has a pond.

I made a huge mistake with my last years fry (the inside ones) the tank didn't cycle and there was ammonia that started to kill them off. I managed to save the last ones by throwing them into parents tank, in a fry net!

But the next time I found fry in the pond, I let them stay and grow there until fall. Some of them are the same size as their one year older siblings!

But the sizes vary a lot. I separated the tiniest ones into a tank of their own, and they grew enourmosly!

Good idea Anette. I have 3 pretty large ones. Ill wait awhile then maybe move them and some medium sized ones out into the larger tank to leave the small ones in the 10.

I wish I had a pond, maybe someday! :D

I found a couple small snails in the tank today! :krazy: Im guessing they came in with the moss and survived the rinsing daily that I do on it. One is SO tiny and the other I can see pretty well. Im going to leave them for now.

2 more fry were passed on today. This must be the death stretch Im on now. :(

There is one fry with what seems like a bent back. Its bent right above the belly. Should I cull it?

Honestly Erin, my fry grew big quickly in the 10 (or is it 11? :hmm ) gallon tank because I changed about 70% of the water daily so in effect, they were getting a large amount of fresh water daily. I think this contributed to their grow and at 4 weeks, they were a decent size. So if you're more comfortable leaving them in the 10, you can try stepping up the waterchanges. I agree with Carol, it's easier to feed them in a 10 and MUCH easier to keep the water perfect ie. cleaning up the poop etc..

I'm sorry you've lost a couple but this may happen over the next week or 2 but your strong ones will be your finest :D

Thanks Fantail! :heart

Jen, I lost a couple more tonight! :krazy: I still have the giants. The small scrawny ones keep dying.

I will up the water changes. Ive been doing one 50% per day. I am more comfortable keeping them in the 10 for now. Theyre still pretty small.

In the meantime Ill set up the 40 and stick some of my other fish in it. :)

Law of the jungle. Makes for less heartache in the end I suppose.

I can't believe how much they have grown since I last checked here Erin. You are doing so well with them. The green water is perfect for them and some I can see little faces shaping up now. Good job hun :heart

Not long now and you should see some body color :)