A Beginner

Jeana727

Lately I have been toying with the idea of a saltwater tank. Where can I get good basic information? Would a 30 gallon tank be ok? Is it tons harder than freshwater? Right now I am in the "well....maybe stage".

:) Sounds like fun Jen! I toyed with this idea before the holidays! My son wanted to buy me an Oceanic 29 gal tank for X-Mas! But I was too chicken to take it on at this time! Maybe some day! But you can do all the research and them let me know how hard it is! :rofl

• 2 weeks later...

If you are dilligent about your freshwater tanks, a marine tank is no more difficult -basically you have to mix saltwater; the basic proceedures are the same. However, and it is a BIG however, most people are not as dilligent as they should be with freshwater tanks, and neglected saltwater tanks will turn into disasters much more quickly than neglected freshwater tanks. In fresh water, most of our fish are adapted to handle a wide range of conditions as rivers rise and fall, get muddy, etc. so they are better able to handle swings in pH, temperature and water chemistry. The ocean is very constant in all these parameters over the habitat range of a particular species.

One of the old reefkeeper sayings: "Nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank" is true. Take your time, do your research, and you will be fine. I run 5 marine tanks; 40 gal, 58 gal, 70 gal, and 2 120 gal, and in some ways, my 58 gal GF tank is more maintenance.

I would not personally recommend less than a 55 gallon tank to start, and get one with an overflow built in so you can run a sump and a skimmer (or refugium if you go that way) under the tank and out of sight.

Good Luck!

Dave