Im Finally Ready To Start A Saltwater Tank!

Guest chris345

Guest chris345

ive had many fih before and they were all fresh water fish. Ive never had any marine fish but my cousin has. Then a few days later all his fish died.how sad :cry1 But im not gonna fail. i read everything to know about saltwater tanks and fish. So today i went to mmm and got instant ocean. i mixed half a cup a gallon. im gonna use a 10 gallon cause i think small marine tanks are cool plus the nano tanks are 8 gallon and ive seen people put clown fishes and live rock in it. I know a small tank is harder to maintain but i think i can handle it. i just need to know when to add my fish what type of sand to get and if i need a protien skimmer. People told me that u only need one if you want to have live rock and coral. im only keeping fish and fake coral.please give me some advice. :D

You said u've kept marine fish before in your past posts, yet you said u haven't kept any in this post.

I don't know anything about keeping a saltwater tank, but right now ur gf tanks are overstocked and I think u should sort that out first before embarking on another pursuit especially this one.

Guest chris345

dont worry i have 5 more rubber maid containers to put them in i just dont want to. But if i have to i will!the rubbermaids are 16 gallons each i measured it to find how many gallons it was.

chris...do you have test kits??? Do you have power heads??? Do you have a heater??? Do you know what the temp ought to be in a Salt system??? Do you have a hydrometer??? Do you know what you should have the Specific Gravity at??? Are you going to use Live Rock??? Are you going to have inverts???

I am not convinced that you understand what it takes to run a Salt water system... And 10 gallons is not much water and things can go south very quickly with that size system....

I will say again that 10 gallon tanks are not even close to ideal for clowns.... Most marine fish books tell you that clowns need at least 30 gallons of water....

Guest chris345

yes i do have every thing you said but im confused on the gravity thing. can you help me?and no im only going to have fish. :ill

Edited by chris345

You will need to have a SG of 1.021-25 for a fish only tank...If you have a hydrometer...it messures specific gravity.... that is what those numbers represent....you can't just go by what the salt mix package tells you...you need to test the SG....

Also your tank will need to cycle before you add fish.... I don't really like to cycle with live fish in a tank...if you get Live Rock then you really don't need to add anything until the tank cycles....

Also may be you should reconsider on the clowns and get some nano fish that will work better in a 10 gal... You can keep clowns in that size tank, but as you have said you really don't have very much experience in salt water aquariums...so start slow and get some less exspensive fish...some that will do ok in a 10 gal without the added stress of not having enough room, or start with a larger tank!!!

I don't think you understand what cycling a salt water tank is all about... I am going to post a link here and let you see what it is all about... but I will say that without live rock or live sand you will be looking at 4 to 7 weeks before your tank will go through its cycle.... Don't put anything that is living in the tank...I recommend that you either get live rock or put a piece of krill or shrimp in the tank to start the cycle process.... here is the link...

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bionitrog.../a/aa073199.htm

Edited by Reef Man

Guest chris345

thanks for the info. But unfortunattly live rock is 8 dollars a pound at my local pet store and they dont sell any at mmm. And it is too expensive! i also cant put live rock because i dont have a protien skimmer and i need a protien skimmer for invertibrates too. i guess i just have to wait 4-7 weeks. But im not in a hurry i want to start off easy and slow so i dont do anything slow. But the guy at mmm said that i only had to wait a week. he said that if i wait a month the water can be toxic for my fish. and do i really have to wait 4-7 weeks its only a ten gallon tank. thats probably why the guy said i had to wait only a week.

Well, first did you read what the cycle process is??? If you did...every tank has to go through this process...some times 4 weeks will get you through this process...but it can take up to 8 weeks.... it doesn't matter about how small or large your system is... you have to give time for bacteria to grow to remove the ammonia....and then turn it to nitrite...after that another type of bacteria has to grow in your tank to turn the nitrite into nitrate...when you have 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrite, and you start reading nitrate then your cycle is complete...

Your water will not turn toxic if you have your filter system running moving the water... You need to start the cycle with a piece of krill or a piece of shrimp...

If you don't do this right you will be introducing fish into an ammonia environment or into nitrites and they will not last long....

Guest chris345

Well, first did you read what the cycle process is??? If you did...every tank has to go through this process...some times 4 weeks will get you through this process...but it can take up to 8 weeks.... it doesn't matter about how small or large your system is... you have to give time for bacteria to grow to remove the ammonia....and then turn it to nitrite...after that another type of bacteria has to grow in your tank to turn the nitrite into nitrate...when you have 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrite, and you start reading nitrate then your cycle is complete...

Your water will not turn toxic if you have your filter system running moving the water... You need to start the cycle with a piece of krill or a piece of shrimp...

If you don't do this right you will be introducing fish into an ammonia environment or into nitrites and they will not last long....

Thanks for being so helpful but can you use crabs that you eat or sanils to start ammonia? does it turn to nitrite itself? i read everything about the website you gave me but i am still confused. i think i would understand it more if you explained it to me in a easier way. And is alkalinity a different word for ammonia because my testing kit tests nitrate nitrite alkalinity and ph

Edited by chris345

Your tank is new...so it has to cycle...if you add a small piece of crab or snail meat it will start....you can even add some froze fish food....like mysis shrimp etc.... it will take a couple days and you will start seeing ammonia..... Alkalinity is different...you need to get an ammonia test kit...

The kits you need to use to tell where you are in the cycle is ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.... Your tank will start the cycle by the ammonia rising, then you will see it begin to go down and nitrite will begin to rise...when it goes down you will start seeing the nitrates rise....

Once you have 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrites...your tank has completed its startup cycle...and is safe to add fish...slowly and don't over stock your tank....

Edited by Reef Man

I'm sorry but I think if you can't afford the live rock, then I dont understand how you are going to afford everything else to keep the tank running, theres all the salt you will have to buy.. marine fish food is more expensive (not to mention the fish!), you will probably have to use RO water in a tank that small (especially if you have inverts), which will either mean you buying an RO unit, or buying the water by the gallon every week.

..I came close to setting up a nano tank and didn't because I can't afford it and know how much work it will be.. and I'm 18 with a job.. you are just 12. Maybe give it a few more years research and saving up some money then set it up.

Researching something that you are really looking forward to can be really fun! Especially when you start to understand everything well, you can feel very proud of yourself when the time comes to set up the tank and give it a go. :)

Guest chris345

I'm sorry but I think if you can't afford the live rock, then I dont understand how you are going to afford everything else to keep the tank running, theres all the salt you will have to buy.. marine fish food is more expensive (not to mention the fish!), you will probably have to use RO water in a tank that small (especially if you have inverts), which will either mean you buying an RO unit, or buying the water by the gallon every week.

..I came close to setting up a nano tank and didn't because I can't afford it and know how much work it will be.. and I'm 18 with a job.. you are just 12. Maybe give it a few more years research and saving up some money then set it up.

Researching something that you are really looking forward to can be really fun! Especially when you start to understand everything well, you can feel very proud of yourself when the time comes to set up the tank and give it a go. :)

im getting live rock tommorow my mom just said i could have some because she went to the aquarium to ask them how she should cycle and decorate the tank. they said to get live rock to my mom so is going to buy live rock oh yeah and im going to buy a clown its only 20 dollars!the salts only 6 dollars(i have it already)and i have testkits a hydrometer and decor

Edited by chris345

You should probably explain to your mum how much other stuff she is going to have to pay for for you.. I don't think she quite understands either.

Edit: you edited what you said while i was posting..

Edited by x-Lucy-Fish-x

Guest chris345

You should probably explain to your mum how much other stuff she is going to have to pay for for you.. I don't think she quite understands either.

Edit: you edited what you said while i was posting..

she knows she has to get all this stuff like a protien skimmer a uv sterilizer a power head and even more!cause mainly my mom actually wants a marine tank more than me !

Guest chris345

Wait on the clown until your tank cycles!!!! Even with new live rock in this new system it could take a week for the tank to cycle...if it cycles quicker you can buy the clown.... PATIENCE!!!!!!!

im also gettinhg a snail to help it cycle faster

• Admin

Wait on the clown until your tank cycles!!!! Even with new live rock in this new system it could take a week for the tank to cycle...if it cycles quicker you can buy the clown.... PATIENCE!!!!!!!

im also gettinhg a snail to help it cycle faster

Snails, and hermit crabs you might be able to get away with, but personally, when I set up my first tank, I had live rock and that was it for a month, nothing else in there.....Salt water is a thing of patience please dont go fast you will kill them :(

You are a brave young man Chris! I was thinking of starting a small marine tank when my oldest son wanted to buy me the 29 gal Oceanic Bio cube for X-Mas! After I let the excitment die down at the thought, I did some research and decided that at this time it was not a good thing for me to attempt. I just did not feel ready to dive into such an intense and costly attempt at keeping a marine tank. I would really want to learn alot more before deciding to do this!

• Admin

Before I got my Nano Cube. I did alot of ready, went to boards and read, got books and read, found a very informational LFS here in town, then found a place were they make the salt water for me.......

I have about 6 books on SW, its fun but its also alot to learn, alot of weird things that grow in the tank........