Beware - Foolish Confidence Results In A Near "punch" Fatality

2601angela

Eric,

This is a busy day for me. I signed on just to scan topics and yours was the first. I skimmed through, thinking, "Yee gads, I'll have to come back to this one in order to give it the full attention it deserves". I was really shocked to read what you went through. By chance, I saw the link to the footage of "Punch" and clicked it.... Needless to say it took about ten seconds for me to realize the other things I had going on were going to have to wait. That is one special fish and you are one special person to invest so much of yourself in his well-being. I started over at the beginning of your post and am still sitting here with a lump in my throat and a really queasey feeling in my stomach, thinking about how that very special little creature was almost lost. I could feel the panic you must have felt as you were flying home.

I won't say what I think of the caretaker! But I will say that I am so thankful that something prompeted you to return home. While your Christmas was "rearranged", I think that a big portion of your New Year would have been spent grieving for Punch had you not gone home. I firmly believe that God holds near to his heart, those people who take notice of and show kindness to the special creatures he sends our way. And Punch is special.

Ya know when this happened I thought this was a fairly accepted occurance with goldfish in that they have a history of unique friendliness- But the more people see it- gives me an indication that this is rare- Maybe he is part Dolphin.

What is fun to watch are the building kids that come over and want to touch his wen- he comes to the surface now when they walk in and- not sucking for food- just sits at the top and enjoys the touching and physical attention. At first they were scared to touch him and one was bold enough to take his little finger and make the first step-

If I can see one or two of these kids grow up and develop a carreer in part due to this, in fish; or even aquire an understanding of the delicate balance nature is and the devestation we are inflicting on the enmvironment- I believe Punch and I would be estatic.

The hardest thing I have done in a long time - I even "well" up now at the thought, was to explain to then the other evening what was wrong with Punch -

and why he might not survive - this was to three 11 year old boys- and one of them started balling which made me cry and then having to explain to the father why his son was crying - and the fathers eyes started welling up - and for the following three days the kids for about 2 hours each, stood vigil- not with the tv on or anything - just sat there slowly stroking his when until he got better- I could not stand to watch that without becoming a total devestated mess of emotion.

Eric

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off topic, but thanks for the reference for Doctors Foster and Smith. I went just to peek at what a chiller looked like, and ended up buying everything that I need to set up my new 30 Gal! My LFS doesn't have any decor that's very exciting, and it looks like they have a very wide selection. I even got my substrate (no extra shipping charges) and my filter there since I was ordering anyway.

I can't wait to set it all up. Thanks for the link. :)

Eric,

This is a busy day for me. I signed on just to scan topics and yours was the first. I skimmed through, thinking, "Yee gads, I'll have to come back to this one in order to give it the full attention it deserves". I was really shocked to read what you went through. By chance, I saw the link to the footage of "Punch" and clicked it.... Needless to say it took about ten seconds for me to realize the other things I had going on were going to have to wait. That is one special fish and you are one special person to invest so much of yourself in his well-being. I started over at the beginning of your post and am still sitting here with a lump in my throat and a really queasey feeling in my stomach, thinking about how that very special little creature was almost lost. I could feel the panic you must have felt as you were flying home.

I won't say what I think of the caretaker! But I will say that I am so thankful that something prompeted you to return home. While your Christmas was "rearranged", I think that a big portion of your New Year would have been spent grieving for Punch had you not gone home. I firmly believe that God holds near to his heart, those people who take notice of and show kindness to the special creatures he sends our way. And Punch is special.

Ya know when this happened I thought this was a fairly accepted occurance with goldfish in that they have a history of unique friendliness- But the more people see it- gives me an indication that this is rare- Maybe he is part Dolphin.

What is fun to watch are the building kids that come over and want to touch his wen- he comes to the surface now when they walk in and- not sucking for food- just sits at the top and enjoys the touching and physical attention. At first they were scared to touch him and one was bold enough to take his little finger and make the first step-

If I can see one or two of these kids grow up and develop a carreer in part due to this, in fish; or even aquire an understanding of the delicate balance nature is and the devestation we are inflicting on the enmvironment- I believe Punch and I would be estatic.

The hardest thing I have done in a long time - I even "well" up now at the thought, was to explain to then the other evening what was wrong with Punch -

and why he might not survive - this was to three 11 year old boys- and one of them started balling which made me cry and then having to explain to the father why his son was crying - and the fathers eyes started welling up - and for the following three days the kids for about 2 hours each, stood vigil- not with the tv on or anything - just sat there slowly stroking his when until he got better- I could not stand to watch that without becoming a total devestated mess of emotion.

Eric

Hi Eric,

How is Punch doing now ? I'm so sorry that you and Punch had to go through. I would be devastated to loose such a precious little friend. Loosing a pet to sickness is one thing but having a pet hurt deliberately like this is another. Hope you are both doing well.

Andr?e R

Eric,

Eric

Hi Eric,

How is Punch doing now ? I'm so sorry that you and Punch had to go through. I would be devastated to loose such a precious little friend. Loosing a pet to sickness is one thing but having a pet hurt deliberately like this is another. Hope you are both doing well.

Andr?e R

thank you for asking.

Yes especially one like Punch in that short video-= well I knew he would get- what I call Latent Hyperstress tank syndrome. My description of what occurs when the consequences of the high stress of a situation does not show up right away but a few days later. he has only had constipation once during the 7 months that he has been with me -

but this time it hit hard- this sounds foolish- but after the second day of this agonizing situation- because he allows me to touch him and all - I gave him a rather light - medium massage of the lower back area underneath his belly and the lower part of his abdomen- in stead of trying to break free- he wanted much more- in about 30 minutes whatever was causingthe constipation blew out of him and he was back to being punch- at the same time I gave him a pea with an epsom salt crystal.

Now the other latent side effect showed up- I saw two spots on tail and fin- in that he allows me to inspect him daily - motionless in my hand- and they look like Ick which he has never had- so now we are dealing with that- I am sure more after tremmors will occur for the next week or so. This guy really screwed things up - but I need to keep a level head and anticipate any future problem with real close inspectionms for a while.

Eric

Off topic, but thanks for the reference for Doctors Foster and Smith. I went just to peek at what a chiller looked like, and ended up buying everything that I need to set up my new 30 Gal! My LFS doesn't have any decor that's very exciting, and it looks like they have a very wide selection. I even got my substrate (no extra shipping charges) and my filter there since I was ordering anyway.

I can't wait to set it all up. Thanks for the link. :)

No problem - I am very happy that helped- when I started I did not know stuff like what you were looking for should have been aquired first - and do not wish to see the repeat spending of un-nercessary monies by other people- oh and if you wish an idea of a way to plant your plants-

Try this- one of the logical things when organizing the bottom of your tank is

1. organizing the plants in smaller close groups with areas of space. the width of your vacuum, to allow vacuuming in between the plant groupings. this would be good for the intermeadiate quick cleans betweemn the grand cleans.

2. I have taken flat plastic- about 1/4 or so inches in thickness the stuff I used was from a printer tray that I was throwing out) and designed each piece - cut it out in the way I want my groups to look- then I drilled various holes of 2-or 3 different sizes to be close to the types and stems of the plants that I use. there is no soil in my tank- only stones larger than the size of a goldfishes mouth. I THEN, BEFORE PLACING IN THE TANK -inset the plants into the holes far enough that - whereever a leafpoint is - it tends to slip thru but is resistant to allowing the plant to slip out.

I place the plastic cutouts in the stones flat down on the bottom of the tank,most of the decay stays on top of the plastic- during the grand cleaning I take these cutouts with the plants still in them - clean - and replace any plants I no longer want- put it back in and cover with the stones in between the plants- the plastic is never seen.

I DO THIS ESPECIALLY BECAUSE pUNCH HAS LEARNED A TRICK- HE LIKES THE NEEDLE LIKE LEAVES OF THOSE TYPE OF PLANTS BUT THE NEEDLES ARE VERY RESISTANT TO COME OFF EASILY- He places his mouth around the needle and makes a fast - jerking motion by snapping his tail - which pulls the leaf off of the plant and- in past times most of the plants out of the bottom of the tank.

I saw the comment of the gold making a salad bar of the plants- be pleased that is happening- this reduces your exposure to things like constipation- yes it is a salad bar- dont knock it that is what nature intended- it shows your fish are happy- and are trying to get rouphage in their diet- Find out what are their favorite tasty plants and plant more of them.

Oh- this is a tip- many of the plants you get from the store are grown outside when you get them- some species of plants - because of the greater sunlite- produce a greater degree of taste then when grown inside- you will see this when the fish will go for the more mature leaves from when you first go t the plants or- as I did- I had a bowl- the old aquarium - wher I nursed the punch beaten plants back to full health thinking he will attach these flourishing plants again- WRONG- and also they had a lighter chlorophyll color because they were being grown inside- so so much for being stingy and not wishing to buy new plantsa all trhe time.

Again - hope you can learn from the fumbling and testing of ways and things others- like nyself, have gone thru.

LOL

Eric

Eric

Thats horrible what that "petsitter" did. I hate how some people don't get the beauty of fish and how much care they need. That guy should be banned from taking care of any animals.. its just so stupid and unreasonable why he would just leave with the water temp that high.

Thats horrible what that "petsitter" did. I hate how some people don't get the beauty of fish and how much care they need. That guy should be banned from taking care of any animals.. its just so stupid and unreasonable why he would just leave with the water temp that high.

His excuse was that he was late to work. But he admitted that he knew the fish could not survive very long- Mentally ill.

Eric, your fish is absolutely adorable :heart ! I couldn't believe how easily he comes to your hand. Anyway, I'm glad you were able to save Punch and I hope he is doing better right now. I really admire what you did for your fish. It's a real Christmas story with (luckily) happy ending!

I'm so glad that there are people like you, who treat their pets with all the love and care they deserve...that'll bring you lots of good luck and I admire the way you let the building kids enjoy company of your pet fish...

What's the latest on this story? Has the guy tried to explain himself further? What did he do to punch to cause such wounds? And has he given your money back?

Hi, I'm so sorry Punch had to go through this, I really hope he is getting better. I've seen your videos of him and he seems like a sweet, wonderful little guy :heart

I wish him a speedy recovery. I'm just glad you got to him before this guy had the chance to visit again. I admire your dedication to your fish.

I do not understand how people can be so cruel to innocent beings. Good luck to you and Punch. I will be praying for him.

karla

hiya eric i too am curious to know what was his excuse for hurting punch and leaving punch there to die besides the excuse that he was running late for work i wonder if he shows any remorse my god that manager is really mentally sick i wouldnt want him to babysit kids if he is that way around fish/animals my god i prefer not to imagine that or think about that

Update-

Well - there are secondary infections that we seem to have controil of - using MAracide and it seemed to control the few spots of ick and he is- at this point very quiet and not very energetic. however- I take it day by day. He seems to look very much foward to being petted- especially when we were cleaning the tank the other day- he became very energetic and wanted to be paid attention to. So - rather rthan remove him from the tank I kept him busy scratching his side and belly (well lightly rubbing) and he laid motionless enjoying the attention while Steve was in the tank placing the plants etc. Funny enough; he kept an eye on what steve was doing but was enjoying his rub down.

The guy never explained why he did it. His managers and the company have been notified of the details. I hope this is a warning to all those that place trust in people- know everything about the person and have someone check up on the progress- a backup in case the first person was as bad as this person was.

And - of course- thank you all for your comments and support while he has been recoveruing. I hope any of you never have to go through this sort of reality. Especially to an animal like Punch . We shall update, soon, a video within a week or so of his current situation. Hopefully we can get him to a full recovery.

Eric

and yes he did give the money back but offered no explainations as to the tail wounds and why they were there- - and has yet to contact me furtrher. I am contemplatiung sueing him for my plane tickets if- nothing else - too hurt him where it seems to hurt him the most- in his wallet

Eric

hope Punch gets better soon, he is a really special fish. ive only every experienced anything like that once when we were away and the filter packed up and the fish sitter didnt notice or wasn't going in to check and we lost two shubunkins to very high nitrites. was a long time ago now. but its not nice when people who you have put trust in to take care of your pet lets you down. i know no compensation from the guy is enough as he has hurt soemthing that you love.

best wishes to a speedy recovery for Punch.

Claire

and yes he did give the money back but offered no explainations as to the tail wounds and why they were there- - and has yet to contact me furtrher. I am contemplatiung sueing him for my plane tickets if- nothing else - too hurt him where it seems to hurt him the most- in his wallet

Eric

eric i'd sue him not only for plane tickets but for other things like pain and suffering you can do that all that judge needs to see is that video and he is done for teach him never to take people for granted and also teach him a lesson on other things ;)

As much as you love your Punch. It's unlikely that you will win a court case for a fish. He gave you your money back for his services, it was your choice to fly home to check on things. You were going to come home sooner or later anyway. Case dismissed!

If your judge is a koko member you might have a chance. But if your judge is a fisherman he won't be too simpathetic about a pet that he sees as nothing more than bait.

Well- as is the case concerning Punch-

If you were to look at this as an oral contract- which in fact it was and as in this case, and in this state are legal and binding- in front of witnesses he fully understood that i was leaving on a trip contingent to his agreement with me and to follow through with what was agreed to- as in the case he knew that - even to the last minute I gave him an offering that I would take his backing out from what was promised and have gone with the professional services of the OLDS town aquarium in chicago- with which I had found out before I left that they had a regular professional service to do what I was looking for - but I had solicited his services first. He also was aware - that I waited to purchase the tickets at the very last minute to asssure myself of his followthrough.

Therefore - it has nothing tio do with the fact what the contract was for - fish dog cat etc- it was for services to be rendered- for the care of an animal. As long as that is the case, and looking at the description of what the job was- that is it-

My only reasoning to follow this up is to realize that this person is doing this to other animals- regardless as to what they are- and may think twice to doing this again. If you were to be so unfortunate as to have this person- unknowingly - care for your pets in this manner I know you understand - and appreciate- my attempts at making his actions to be regrettable at the very least . Of course, then again, it depends on what you accept as sufficient care for the pet which you/we have responsibility of.

Eric

I am sorry to hear of your similar plighht - Claire-

And Nicky- it is unfortunate that there is nothing that would allow me to go that far in sueing- unfortunately - as the last person indicated- othert than that fact it was a contract - the idea of what eas affected in the contract means little difference to law- unless of course if this was a caretaker to a human being- although I would agfree - the video - which will be soon updated - really says it all.

Funny - if I use the term "animal" it seems more severe to understand and be angry over ill treatment for some because they automatically assume something like a dog or cat-- untill I use the term "Fish" instead of the word animal.

I would say 'forgive and forget'. But we all learnt a lesson. It's true that he was extremely careless, but just leave the guy alone. After all none of us are perfect, he made a mistake and it's upto him to correct himself. But if you do something to ruin his reputation, he may never get a chance of getting a proper job...etc. You already have proved that you are a good human being so just forgive him...(I hope all of you are not fuming with anger now :D Well, this is just my opinion)

Archived