Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jason Rummage

New Owner Needing Tips

Guest Jason Rummage

Hi everyone, i am new here. I am 15 and just got my first two goldfish that are mine a couple days ago. I know i am not taking excellent care of my goldfish and i dont really know how. I know they can be expensive pets and being a 15 year old i dont exactly have a lot of money. i went to the store and bought a 6.3 liter tank. I know its small but im just starting. Then i went and got my water. I fixed my tank and everything and let it work for about 48 hours then i went and got fish. I just got two regular gold fish nothing special cause im just starting. Each of them is about an inch long. I put them into my tank and they seemed to be fine. I bought some fish food called Tetrafin for goldfish. I am feeding them two times a day both at 8:00. I just got my fish wensday so i havent changed there water. When i fed them today one of them threw up his food if he tried to eat to fast. I dotn know what was wrong. Anyway before my fish where in i also used some checmical thingy for the water. The are doing find and are very active. At first they where scared of the light and everytime i turned it on they would hide but now they are understanding it. I was just wandering if anyone had any good helpful tips on keeping my tank clean, as when to clean it how to clean it and should i get a bottom feeder for only two goldfish? And any other tips and things you think i am doing wrong. I know my tank is very small for two fish and i should have about a 6 gallon tank for those fish but i just cant afford it cause it is so expensive. Please tell me any tips though emial or posting. Please keep in mind that i really cant afford all these treatments and special products to clean with. Thanks Alot!

First of all, that sounds like a really small tank! 6.3 liters is just about 1.5 U.S. gallons! I never put a goldfish in anything less that 10 U.S. gallons per fish. (exept short-term)

The goldfish that you got are probably comets and they can grow rather large. I would either get a tank that is at least 20 U.S. gallons (about 75.5 liters) or consider giving one away.

Even if you had just one, I would still upgrade to at least a 10 U.S. gallon tank (which converts to about 37 liters.) A.S.A.P. The small tank is probably not providing enough swimming space, water or oxygen for both fish. I would definitely not add any bottom feeder for these fish as this would make the problem worse.

Also, I am guessing that the "chemical thingy" is the water conditioner. It is very important because it removes chlorine/chloramine from the water. Otherwise, the fish would die of chlorine poisoning very quickly.

I hope you can get a bigger tank soon! Good luck!

Guest Jason Rummage

ok thanks, i dont know what im gonna do cause those tanks are suuuuper expensive just for a few goldfish that could die like anytime. u knwo what i mean? I wonder why all the stores and stuff would sell such small tanks for fish if they know its way to small? I dont know if there commets i think they might be commons they only costed 28 cent a peice. They are orange black and white mixed. They seem to be fine, i actually didnt even get the smallest tank there was one for $10 that was only one gallon! I understand what your saying thanks. The picture on the box of the aquarium has two fish about the same size of mine and yes that was chemical cleaner stuff.

See if you can return your tank and exchange it for at least a 10 gallon. A 10 gallon aquarium cost less than $10.00 and is one of the cheapest aquariums you can buy. I've seen stores sell 2 1/2 and 5 gallon aquariums for more than what they were charging for a 10 gallon.

Good to see that you understand. However, goldfish have a reputation for living short lives because people with little or no fish-keeping experience are lured in by their other reputation for being easy to care for. Neither of these reputations are accurate. Goldfish can easily live 10 years if they are in a correct sized tank and if they are given good care in general. Here is a page on this site that may help you with your fish.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

Once again, Good luck.

ok in england things are like twice as much than in england so keep that in mind.

your fish sound like commons you could get a plastic container try to get the biggest one then get the biggest filter u can get.

then your fish will be happy :bingo:

ok thanks, i dont know what im gonna do cause those tanks are suuuuper expensive just for a few goldfish that could die like anytime.

Do u know why those fish can die anytime? Because people are not taking good care of them. A common is a very long-lived breed of goldfish and can realistically grow up to 12 inches long and 10-20 years old easily if cared for properly. (dang it MyGoldfishIsLumpy u beat me to it lol :D )

If u got no money for even a 10-gal tank, then I suggest you return the goldfish, and get a betta (siamese fighting fish). They're best for beginners and while 1.5 gallons is not ideal, they can live in it.

Here at KGW we're trying to help new members and there are many guys who came in with the exact same problem as you have. We're not trying to scare you or put you off goldfish, but the fact is goldfish are not for beginners. They are one of the messiest fish around and they grow like weeds, so they need a biiiig tank and an efficient filtration system. As I said, if u can't afford a bigger tank ASAP, then a betta is your best bet.

Keep us updated, ok mate? ;)

Guest Jason Rummage

I know you said a 10 gallon aquarium can cost $10.00????? I didnt know that i thoguht they where like $200 or seomthing. But see you have to buy the filter equipment and and the hood and light i guess all that what makes it so expensive! Does anyone know after you get the aquarium how much it would probley cost you to fix it up well? Thanks for all the comments though i understand what your saying, I didnt know i needed 10 gallons per fish that seems like a lot of water for two one inch fish. Cause it takes years for them to get big and quite frankly i doubt mine live that long espically the way ther living now!

Guest Jason Rummage

okay i think i know what im gonna do, i am going to keep them cause i dont think i can return them any more, and if i see them getting really sick and stuff i will go ahead and freeze them cause i heard it was the less painful way to die. Then i will get one betta to keep. Sorry guys i really didnt know that a goldfish was so hard to keep up, i bet a lot of people had this same problem.. Hopefully they wont grow much and stuff until i can get a job and buy them a good tank and stuff. I will definatly let you know how it goes!

Guest Jason Rummage

0047431901506_215X215.jpg

Look at this picture guys. This is why so many starters get lead on. This is a $50 tank that is 6 gallons. It comes with a light and filter and everything but there is like 6 big size fish in this tank! This picture came from the nnnnnn website. No wonder i started off wrong! Im not sure if the pcitures going to work so if it doesnt go here nnnnnn Webpage

Guest Jason Rummage

Sorry haha it wont let me type a certain store on here that stars with the word Wal and ends with Mart if you know what im saying. sorry thought it would show! I will probley upload a picture of my aquarium in a while so u can see what im dealing with!

well u can't type wal mart because it is under copy right and we would get in trouble so if u can try to get a image of your tank so we can see it :bingo:

Edited by fishcrazy

Yep. I almost started off the same way, but I met someone at a local pet store that helped me start off the right way with a fantail. unfortunately, the store recently went out of business due to a large chain that just moved in. I would go to a few different stores if possible and add up the total for a filter, tank and a stand. (Water and gravel are very heavy and a filled 20 gallon tank can weigh as much as 225 pounds!) It is also a good idea to place the tank near a supporting wall to avoid damaging the floor.

Guest Jason Rummage

Okay where i live its 9:30pm so i wont get them uploaded to night but i will do it first thing in the morning! Just keep checking back. Thanks for all the help guys. if i couldnt afford anything else would a 6 gallon work for one or two fish for the mean time? With mean time i mean for a good while :D I would have to get that after christmas after that! :Just wandering what will happen:

I would not continue to keep both fish in the tiny tank. If I were you i'd find a large bucket or bin (or something) that is at least 5 gallons (the bigger, the better) and put one of the fish into it.

It would need very frequent water changes to keep up with the fish and it would need to be throughly rinsed prior to use. you should also add 1/2 of the water from the other tank before adding one of the fish.

You should leave the healthier looking one in the tank as it has better odds to begin with. I hate to say that but you might not have any fish at all to save if you don't.

Guest Jason Rummage

I know i know they ar gonna die soon if i dont do something about it. But i know this is gonna upset all the goldfish lovers out there but *wispers in a low voice* it was only 28 cent. :unsure: i think i will just try and keep them happy cause i know people that keep them in tiny bowls and they have lived a long time

Guest Jason Rummage

by the way what are those medals under everyones comments? Are they given out by the website for certain achievements?

Yes the medals beneath peoples signature are for different accomplishments here at Koko's. If you slide your mouse over them they say what they are for.

Welcome here to Koko's, you will make plenty of friends and learn alot about gf and how to take care of them.

I know that I didn't take care of my goldies in ideal conditions when I first started out, so I really shouldn't be giving any advice/saying anything. When I first got my goldies I had one in a two gallon. Then I had two in a five gallon. Spaceboy even in a 10 gallon on his own had problems, but Mars is growing like a weed and has never had a problem. I had three goldies in a five gallon at one point and they did fine. The whole thing is I did water changes EVERY DAY and it was a lot of work.

I say getting a five/six gallon is better than keeping them in the 1.5. Realize though it will still be quite a bit of work. Right now I am about two fish overstocked again but it's in a 29 gallon with extra filterage. I still do water changes really frequently to make sure my params stay under control.

Here's my advice, filters are expensive, I understand that, believe me. But the filter is the most important thing to have for a goldfish IMO. So, if you have a choice between a larger tank and an inadequate filter, or a smaller tank with a decent filter, I would go with the smaller tank and just devote more time to water changes and get water testing devices. This way you can make sure your params are decent until you can afford a larger tank. It won't be ideal, but it would be so much better than the tiny tank.

Good luck! I hope none of this has scared you. I was in the same boat but I did my best and have corrected most of my mistakes now. My goldies are happy and healthy and I love them like crazy. I hope you can figure something out that works for you and your goldies. Keep us posted, we'd all love to help you out.

As far as price, (NEW) aquarium stuff does tend to get pricey, but you have to think of it as an investment. So I advise getting the largest tank that you have the room and money for because if you decide to keep goldfish (especially a common or comet) you'll find they get very big very fast. So you want to avoid "upgrading" every time they grow an inch. :krazy:

Something you can do is visit your local department or hardware store and look into purchasing a large plastic tub. There's a brand called Rubbermaid that have very large (40 - 70 gallon) tubs that tend to go VERY cheaply. They can be used as temporary or even permanent homes for goldfish and decorated to look very much like a pond. :)

However, you may need to bust out the big bucks as far as the filter goes. Goldfish need filtration that is 10x gallons per hour (so for 70-gallons of water, you need a filter rated at 700GPH). These filters are the REAL investment because they will do a LOT of cleaning for you and the fish, and should last for several years (usually with a warranty).

Keep us updated and I'm sure we'll all try to find a way to help you out, even with a small budget. :D ;; I think we all know how it is to keep a pet and deal with a tight budget.

If you ask your parents if you can do somthing so you can get paid a buy what you need.But you don't want to you don't have to.Just a suggestion :devilangel

Guest Jason Rummage

im pretty sure my parents wouldnt loan me that much money for some fish. I am probley going to just keep them in that tank until i see that they are getting biger if they get much bigger i will witch them to a big bucket or something. i am going to putt up a picture of my tank and a picture of my two fish in a little bit.

Guest Jason Rummage

the last one didtn work for some reason here it is

Fish2.jpg