Sign in to follow this  
dengundam

Putting In Goldies

I am not good at adding new goldies in please help how do u do it?

from Dengundam merry christmas to all

I usualy let the bags float for about 15 minutes to let the tempmerature even out more slowly. Then I gradualy add tank water to the bag and vice-versa. After maybe 5 minutes of this I gently pour the fish and water into the tank. I usualy place the fish bag into a large paper bag for the drive as this minimizes stress. (I have heard.)

Some sources say to let the bag float for a longer time but I only do it for about 15 minutes because it gives the fish a shorter time in the bag and I already have a long drive to the pet store which is bad for the fish.

Any other opinions?

Guest shin

My method is that I let the bag float in the tank for 20-30 mins to adjust the temp, then I add bits of tank water very slowly and gradually for usually about 10 mins and I let it sit for another 5 minutes. I then either net the fish out or scoop it out and dispose of the bag water. Much like MyGoldfishIsLumpy's procedure.

Other methods are also used such as the drip method(I believe thats the name) but I can't explain it because I've personally never tried it. But, I believe you use an airline tubing and you place the fish with the water in the bucket and let the tank water slowly drip down. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) Or something like that. Hopefully someone with more experience will answer this soon.

Guest Spaz

I'd like to hear more about this "Drip method" as well, since we have fish in our "wild pond" that might move inside at somepoint, now that we have a free tank. I don't want to kill them with the change from canal water to tank water.

Never heard of the drip method, but I sometimes use a similar method using airline tubing. Basically u siphon the tank water from the tank thru the tube and into the bucket (with water halfway full or less) where the new fish is. After the volume of water in the bucket is roughly twice the original (or till the bucket is full), I then transfer the fish with my hand to the tank.

One of the tricky things with the bag method is taking off that elastic band that ties it so tight. Getting that off smoothly without scaring the fish is hard...and then the business of not letting the fish get suffoctaed in a corner of the bag as the water drains out....it can be tricky. A big plastic bag and only one fish to a bag helps a lot.

:) I probably do way more than need be,but I stick to it as it works for me.I slice the bag top with a very sharp knife as trying to get the rubberbands off are a pain :blink: I empty the fish bag into one of my clean fish buckets,add an airstone,and then very slowly ,add my tank water into the bucket over a period of time,at least an hour or so.I then scoop the new fish up with my hand,where they go right into the Q tank.This works for me.I've never lost a fish,or never had any get ick as a result of the stress of it all. :)

i float the bag in the water for at least 15 minutes and then, gradually ad the tank water. never put the water from the petstore into your tank because might contain disease or something.

some stores write on the bag with a permanent marker. get them to double bag.

I guess you could float the bag for 10-20mins.

then I transfer to a container & slowly add in tank water.