Afraid...

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

I've noticed that one of my goldies is absolutely TERRIFIED of the tank. She used to be such a lover, she'd come kiss my fingers and eat out of my hand... It seems she's afraid of another fish... The only thing is, this fish has been living with her for a very long time and she never used to be afraid... I don't know for sure if this is the cause though... I took this 'offending' fish out and placed her in my 120 gallon with the 4 bigguns... She was so afraid of this new and very huge tank that she almost had a heart attack... Which brings me to my first question; can goldfish pass out? I ask because after seriously darting 2 feet in a micro second Zelda sort of stopped moving her fins and flopped over sideways not swimming... I watched as this happened and I was naturally alarmed.. She snapped back to reality a second later so I removed her at once and put her back in her other tank...

What should I do about the initial terrified fish??? I've tried moving the tank decorations around... I'm gonna buy more plants and stuff for them to hide in when I get some more cash... Ping is still eating, still keeping on weight, and I can steal glances at the tank once and a while and she's out swimming normal with the rest of them... But when I come close to the tank, oh boy, she does back flips trying to swim away so fast... Her and one other fish seem to feed off each other... Ping, Calcifer and Zelda... They were all so easy going but now... I just don't know... Thanks.

Anything going on with the tank itself? What are your parameters for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Add any new decorations or remove old ones?

I've heard of fish becoming severely stressed out and "fainting" if not acclimated to a new tank properly, but I'm not sure what to say if she's doing it suddenly in her old tank. If your water is okay, hopefully some extra hidey decorations will help relax her.

Maybe she hit her head on something while darting? and it stunned her?

You could try keeping her in a breeding net (big enough one) and then make the thing bigger as she gets used to it, then finally let her out into the tank.

I've noticed that one of my goldies is absolutely TERRIFIED of the tank. She used to be such a lover, she'd come kiss my fingers and eat out of my hand... It seems she's afraid of another fish... The only thing is, this fish has been living with her for a very long time and she never used to be afraid... I don't know for sure if this is the cause though... I took this 'offending' fish out and placed her in my 120 gallon with the 4 bigguns... She was so afraid of this new and very huge tank that she almost had a heart attack... Which brings me to my first question; can goldfish pass out? I ask because after seriously darting 2 feet in a micro second Zelda sort of stopped moving her fins and flopped over sideways not swimming... I watched as this happened and I was naturally alarmed.. She snapped back to reality a second later so I removed her at once and put her back in her other tank...

What should I do about the initial terrified fish??? I've tried moving the tank decorations around... I'm gonna buy more plants and stuff for them to hide in when I get some more cash... Ping is still eating, still keeping on weight, and I can steal glances at the tank once and a while and she's out swimming normal with the rest of them... But when I come close to the tank, oh boy, she does back flips trying to swim away so fast... Her and one other fish seem to feed off each other... Ping, Calcifer and Zelda... They were all so easy going but now... I just don't know... Thanks.

why not use a clear perferasted seperator in the same tank for a few days to seperate those fish that may make her anxious- is this being done by an alpha male and are their any signs of breeding bumps on the male- - Like my Punch- alpha males can become really aggressive and dominant when the mood strikes them-

Eric

I would check no only the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, but make sure the pH, gH, kH and temperature is the same. Temp changes can be VERY stressful to fish.

In general, a fish can be quite overwhelmed when placed in a large open tank for the first time. I try to do it when it is dark. Turn out the lights...... let it be quiet for her. Do not bother with the tank until morning. Then, turn the lights on in stages - the drapes, the overhead and then the tank light. Feed as normal - but make sure there is food in all corners of thetank.

A plastic colandar will float in a tank - and you can put a fish in it - using it as a floating separator for the fish until she acclimates a bit more.

(Is it possible that you have parasites in one tank and not the other? Fish that go from one environment to another may be senstitive to things that resisdent fish no longer worry about.

I would check no only the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, but make sure the pH, gH, kH and temperature is the same. Temp changes can be VERY stressful to fish.

In general, a fish can be quite overwhelmed when placed in a large open tank for the first time. I try to do it when it is dark. Turn out the lights...... let it be quiet for her. Do not bother with the tank until morning. Then, turn the lights on in stages - the drapes, the overhead and then the tank light. Feed as normal - but make sure there is food in all corners of thetank.

A plastic colandar will float in a tank - and you can put a fish in it - using it as a floating separator for the fish until she acclimates a bit more.

(Is it possible that you have parasites in one tank and not the other? Fish that go from one environment to another may be senstitive to things that resisdent fish no longer worry about.

Now that is an ingenious idea- - of course- Now how did you think up the idea of the collinder- ??? that is a great way for introduction!

Guest Halloween

Oops, kind of forgot about this post for a while. I'm going to try some of that!! Though it doesn't seem there are any males in the tank. The 'dominant' fish appears to be female (business end of the fish looks very much female) however, the 'dominant' fish is also a Ryukin and I hear Ryukins tend to be sort of mean to other breeds.

Thanks!!

Archived