Black Moor Really Ill :(

velvet

Hi guys,

This is my first post in this forum, I really hope that you can help me... I just don't know what more I can do.

I had 3 goldfish, 1 fantail (Tubby - happy, growing fast, thriving despite everything), and 2 Black Moors (Capone and Louie... ok, Louie The Stupid. That fish is seriously dumb, always has been). Also have a sucker fish, but he is happy too.

The Moors got sick a few weeks ago, especially Capone (he got what looked like fin rot and bad case of fungus). I've tried the whole treatment thing, hospital tank, anti fungus treatment, anti bacterial drops in the tank, controlling the chemistry in the water, etc. Capone died 4 days ago. Now Louie suddenly took turn for the worse, his fins are getting ragged and bad. I just don't know what it is I am doing wrong!

The hospital tank is small, only 15 litres. Tested it tonight, PH is 7.6, Ammonia was 1.0, brought it down to 0.25-0.5 after a partial water change. Nitrate in between 0 - 5, nitrite 0.5. Ammonia isn't too good, but I've done a massive water change 2 days ago. This tank has been running for just 2 1/2 weeks (the main one is almost perfect, cycled and working well).

The filter hasn't a brand name, just a simple particle one, I've removed charcoal from it when I put the medicine in. Louie is in there all alone, just a fake plant and a little ceramic pot for him to hide from the current.

Medicines: Wardley Fungus-ade, using 2 drops per 5 litres, every 4 days. Also Wardley Aquapure, using a drop per litre once a week. Chlorine neutraliser too, of course.

Food: am trying to feed Louie flake food (Aquamaster), he used to love it, now is barely eating. I've cut down on the feeding thing, it's all just going rotten. I hope he is munching, haven't seen him actually eat for a few days (but then I have a full time job so I am not home much...) I think the ammonia is kinda high because he isn't eating, and the filter isn't picking everything up.

Ok, problems... Louie isn't eating, hanging around the bottom of the tank and "vibrating". Just looks like he is using all his strength to stay in one spot. He has some fungus problems, a couple of white spots on his scales, and also in the last few days his tail and back fins have started to get very ragged. :( Out of the 3 fish, he was always the most stupid (the slowest to get to food, the slowest to get out of the way when I was cleaning the main tank, and almost got sucked into the filter once when the protecting cap fell off!). But still, he is really sick, and I have been trying to do all I can to help him...

I just don't know whats wrong with him, and how to fix it. Please help!! (Oh, and please don't tell me I need a bigger hospital tank, this is as good as it gets right now. I know it's small!)

Ok first hello and welcom!

I would first work on the water quality before doing any type of treatments. Water can actually heal or kill fish, so that is the first place to start.

Do 30% water changes until you get no ammonia or nitrites. Test an hour after each change and if it isn't there, do another change until it is. YOu may have to do 3-4 in one day to do this.

How big is your main tank and it's params? You may be able to just put the fish in the main tank (from what is sounds like they have all been exposed so it isn't going to do harm treating them there if need be).

Post back soon and we'll go from there.

Oh, for now I wouldn't use any meds, if I didn't make that clear. Often they can mess with water quality and that is top priority right now.

Hi Laurie,

Firstly, thank you for your reply and the welcome! I really appreciated that you took the time to reply to my fish dramas.

I was going to move Louie into the bigger tank today, but sadly I've found him dead inside his flower pot this morning... I guess the stress of being ill, and not eating have finally got to him. I was kind of expecting that, the poor thing has been looking very sick for the last few days. It's sad, but at least he isn't suffering anymore.

I think I will stick with normal sort of goldfish from now on, as much as I like the Black Moors, this isn't the first ones to get sick on me. They are so hard to keep!

Thanks again, and Happy Christmas to you and yours! :)

Oh I am sorry to hear he didn't make it.

It is so hard to lose one, I was hoping he'd pull thru.

Please let us know if you need any other assistance. I hope to still see you around. Take care, and you too have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Archived