Vermillion Has Dropsy...

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

His body has turned very light in color also... He used to be such a bright red. Currently he's laying sideways, gasping for air, then trying to swim to the surface but can't. It looks like someone is pouring water in on him as he tries to swim up... Then he slowly sinks back to the bottom... I think it's time to put him down but I don't have any clove oil... I won't use a knife or freeze him or anything like that. Is there anything I can do to end his suffering in a peaceful sort of way?

I'm so sorry to hear about your sick fish. I wish i ould offer you advice, but unfortunately, i can only offer sympathy. I hope you can at least be with him, at his side. Vermillion is a beautiful name, and i'm sure he is a beautiful fish.

Dana.

I'm really sorry to hear about your fish too, Vermillion does sounds like he's suffering :( Clove oil is the very best method in my opinion, I'm not really sure what else to suggest other than that. Hopefully, somebody else will be able to suggest something. I think there is a pinned thread about this in the diagnosis and discussion forum that might help.

I really don't want to say this but it sounds like he is to sick to make it. Its not "peaceful" but it does kill fish in only a second or two. Boil water on your stove and drop him in. The extreme heat will kill him extremely fast, but it has to be boiling, not just hot water from the sink or else it takes to long(up to 10 seconds with just steaming water). Its my third choice after clove oil or chopping the head off with a knife(I would only do this with large fish. Its to easy to whack one of your fingers off with a tiny betta).

If you don't have clove oil and don't want to use any of the other methods then place him in a dark room and let him pass peacefully on his own. You can still try to give him meds but he sounds pretty bad.

I know how you feel. I lost my favorite betta to dropsy. One minute he was fine and 2 hours later he was dead. It killed him so fast that I couldn'tdo anything to help him. I'm sorry to hear about Vermilion. :cry1

Yes droopsy is a very tough thing to beat. Have you tried meds, salt, and heat.Sorry to hear he is so ill. Have you tried adding bettafix ? It could not hurt. It is worth a try. Hate for you to have to loose the little handsome guy

As Kris suggests, you could still try clean water, anitbiotics (in the water and/or food), epsom salts and raise the temp to about 30C.

But if you do think its the best thing.. there isnt really anything 'peaceful' apart from clove oil. You could try what sushi suggested with the boiling water, but I'm not sure how humane that one is. I think I read that fish can stay alive for a few minutes after their head has been removed, so its best to destroy the brain if you are doing it that way. Like, crushing the head. It's not nice for you to do, but if you just lay him on a wet towel and do it quickly, he wont feel anything.

sorry :(:heart

Archived