New Betta!

littlefishyboy

:newfish My secret sant got me complete betta bowl kit and I got the fish last night :D I have named him skittle. He is up in my room. The poor thing was displayed not in one of those cups that at least have care info on them that are used at mmm but in a PLASTIC DRINKIN CUP.Not even half full. Hes doing Ok now, but he seemed freaked when I put hm in there. I would be freaked too if someone stuck me in a drinking cup. I have a question-how do you heat and filter a 1/2 gallon plastic fishbowl? I have a small filter but it still will take up almost half the tank and probably suck up the fish too.

Hello and congrats on your :newfish ! I hope that he lives a long and happy life with you.

My guess is that you won't be able to heat or filter a bowl that small. I have a 2.5 gallon tank for my betta, and I ended up taking the filter out of that because the current was just too strong for him. As long as you don't overfeed him, you should be able to keep the water clean with regular water changes, even without a filter.

There is a chance that the little hydor 7.5 watt mini heaters will work in your bowl, but I would only try it if you have a thermometer available and some time to keep an eye on the temperature. You want to try to keep the temperature between the mid-70's and mid-80's (F). If the heater gets too hot, your other option would be to put the bowl in a very warm place in your house, perhaps near a heat source (but not TOO near!). If there's a light on the tank, that will help to keep the water warm during the day, but it might still get too cold at night.

You mentioned that you already have a filter. Do you have a heater yet, or are you just thinking about getting one?

Buy one of those desk lamps. They work great for small bowls and tanks. Also keep him in a room that stays warms like a bedroom or mudroom. Just leave the light one during the day and shut it off at nigh. You could place bubble wrap, with holes poked in it, over your bowl at night to insulate it.

A filter is no good on anything under 2 gallons. It will just cause a lot of stress for your little guy. Do lots of cleaning. Remove left over food and poo everyday and do every 5 days 100% water changes. To cut back on so much cleaning duty you could upgrade him to something like a plastic kritter keeper, the ones that you put bugs or lizards in! lol.

Don't worry about getting him a larger home. He will be fine in 1/2 gallons for now, in fact he should be fine for the rest of his life as long as everything is kept clean, but I'm sure he would love a betta fish mansion.lol. A larger tank might be something good to add to a birthday wish list? lol.

Bigger tanks are fun! Lots of room for rocks, sticks and plants! Just don't run out and buy everything because I'm sure that if you do lot of searching and research you can find good deals. Example: Instead of spending big bucks on a 5 gal glass tank, spend very little on a 5 gal plastic kritter keeper.

BTW- Before I forget, minibows make great betta bachelor pads! I have one, and I believe bettaqueen just got one. They come with a filter and some stuff. Good if your on a tight budget and if you are a beginner.

I'm sure lots of members will be able to give you tons of ideas.

If I hadn't recieed this as a gift, I would have put him in my 1 gallon tank. However, I got it from a good friend, and I don't want to insult them by not using the bowl. Plus, it barely came with enough gravel to cover the bottom of the bowl and hold the plant down. By the way, I feed 2 hikari floating pellets 3 times a day, and he eats every last one.I used to have a 7.5 watt heater,but it broke quickly

Archived