Goldfish Alive But He Is Bent Over And Not Swiming

Guest kpicano

Guest kpicano

My eight year old goldfish is bent and at the bottom of the tank unable to swim. He is trying to move; to the point he has moved the rocks around him. He is in a 20 gallon tank. He has been alone for 8 years. About 3 weeks ago I put a pleco sucking fish in the tank to take care of the algea. The pleco is still alive and has been removed. It looks health and is acting normally. The type of water I use has not been changed. I have fed him TetraFin Goldfish food his entire life. I also use AquaSafe when I replace 20% of the water in his tank.

His tank was just cleaned 2 weeks ago. 20% new water was added. My fish acted fine for that last two weeks. Then yesterday he sat on the ground with his top fin down and now he is bent.

No fin deterioration. His color is the same. But he can not swim normally. He can't get off of the ground. What is the most humane thing I can do for my fish?

Hi and welcome, sorry to hear your fish isn't doing well. Having him 8 yrs I bet you are sure attached to him.

The first thing to do is a water change, then you need to test the water and post your results.

Do you test your water on a regular basis?

From the sounds it may be too late, but it is worth a try.

Guest kpicano

Hi and welcome, sorry to hear your fish isn't doing well. Having him 8 yrs I bet you are sure attached to him.

The first thing to do is a water change, then you need to test the water and post your results.

Do you test your water on a regular basis?

From the sounds it may be too late, but it is worth a try.

I never test the water. Can I buy a kit at mmm? I am very attached. I feel the new fish might have made him sick.

I changed 10% of the water yesterday. Should I purchase distilled water or bottled water for him?

Is there something wrong with your tap water?

To be honest you need to test asap. Yes mmm has the appropriate tests. Aquarium Pharms makes a "master kit" that has ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph in it. Usually it is around $20, pretty good to have an all in one.

Until you can get to the store I would do another 30% water change.

Guest kpicano

To be honest you need to test asap. Yes mmm has the appropriate tests. Aquarium Pharms makes a "master kit" that has ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph in it. Usually it is around $20, pretty good to have an all in one.

Guest kpicano

Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortuately my little one has past on. He had a great life. I don't think it is the tap because I have two tanks. But I will test the water from now on for my other fish.

Sorry to hear he didn't make it.

Yes I would strongly encourage you to test your water. I wasn't implying that the tap was bad, just that gf produce alot of waste and if you aren't testing the water it can become toxic, yet look crystal clear as if nothing is wrong.

Let us know if you need any other help.

Archived