Yet Another Broken Heater

Ok, I had to vent about this and I figured the aquarium lovers on this board would appreciate my frustration. I've had my turtle (Goober, a red earred slider) for 12 years now and the other night he broke heater number 5 or 6??? He used to kick them and smash them to pieces, he even cut his foot once. Recently I found the plastic cases to place over the heaters...problem solved. HOWEVER, he figured out another way to break it. We came home the other night to a burning smell. He had shoved the heater, case and all, up onto his large basking rock. It over heated, melted the plastic case and is now completely burned out!!!! :krazy: So now I have to buy a new one right in the middle of Christmas shopping, argh! I have to try and rig up some complex system to keep him away from it this time....should be fun.

Thankfully this isn't really a horror story, but just very very frustrating......but I still love the big guy, hehehe :heart

Your turtle sure sounds like a mischievous little guy! :rolleyes::D It must be frustrating though and good quality heaters aren't cheap to buy either. I'm glad he didn't hurt himself again though. I hope you manage to work out something to stop him breaking them. Maybe there are some other members with turtles who have had similar problems that can help you :)

Plastic hey? No, all I've ever seen is glass. I went to the largest LFS in town yesterday and they had a large variety, but still only glass. I think I'm going to have to hide the heater under some rocks or something.

Chrissy

I've never seen a plastic heater either. I think the problem here is that the turtle breaks them full stop, not so much what it's made of - although it could be a bit safer if it does get broken again. Maybe a much stronger type of fixing bracket and heater guard is the way to go? Good luck with it :)

I've never heard of plastic heaters either but it sounds the best way to go especially with that mischievious guy of yours.

• 4 weeks later...

My friend has one for there leopard geko. I never paid much attention to it but it's kind of like a heating pad thats stuck to the outside bottom of the tank.

I've seen those with hermit crab tanks too, but I don't know if they're powerful enough to warm watery tanks.

I know All-Glass Aquariums make "shatterproof" heaters that are supposed to auto-shutoff when it reaches a potentially overheating thresh-hold. Like Devs mentioned, those types of heaters are certainly something to look into.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a heat pad for my hermit crabs and it wouldn't be hot enough for my turtle's tank..besides, he's in a rubbermade containter (a bathtub sized one!!! :blink: ) so I'd be worried about melting the plastic.

Too bad I didn't see your heater suggestions earlier, I went with the same old type I always get (I forget the name). Luckily I found a way to keep it away from the turtle. I put it between two bricks and then layed his basking rock on top of those, so it has a little cave AND a plastic protector. I think I may have foiled him this time, muahahaha. :D

Chrissy

face4.png

Maybe yours just likes to redecorate, Dave.

He definitely does - every time we clean his tank he spends two days rearranging the rocks to his liking. And he gets irritated when he's in his small tank while the big one is being cleaned, pressing his nose up against the glass to as if to say "Hey! Why are you all messing with my rocks AGAIN?". And then he's cranky until he gets his tank the way he wants it. Other than that, he's a real sweetheart, and usually loves to get scratches under his chin. But not after a tank cleaning! LOL! And this basking rock probably outweights him 5x1, however he's mastered the physics of leverage quite well.

Now his "sister" who is a year younger, is completely unconcerned about stuff like that, will mug for any human that walks by her tank, and is constantly begging for food. Such completely different personalites, and they are fun to watch, too. :)

Dave

Archived