How To Clean Cal-bicarb? New-used Tank

gel

I got this 55-80 gal tank for $10! I?ll post the measurements another day.

It has white build up, calcium bicarb probably.

How do I clean this?

@ first they wanted $20 for the tank & a fluval 304.

They had 2 fluvals & both weren?t working good. I wanted to buy 1 but the mom said no, she won?t sell a broken 1.

The tank wasn?t as long as I wanted but how can u go wrong with $10?

So I?ll build a temp stand of it out of concrete blocks, wood plank & some kind of mat (rubber?).

I had to drive 35-40mins thru traffic to pick it up but its worth it.

That's pretty cool - 10 bucks!!!!! :)

Most tanks have hard water deposits or salt buildup or both on them after use. The salt buildup will clean with just a bit of elbow grease. You can use a rough surfaces lint free rag or even one of those cleaning pads they sell at the fish shop. I cut large pads for my Eheims from bulk white pads - and the excess from around where I cut is then chopped up into 2X4 inch pads for cleaning the tank sides. They work well, too.

The minerals and other deposits will clean fairly easily with vinegar. Wet a rag or paper towel with vinegar and let it sit in contact with the deposits so that they soak in vinegar for a while - sometimes it can take multiple applications - I have had to let some really crusty tanks soak for hours - but the minerals will soften and can be cleaned off. Take a layer off and soak again if necessary. They sell a "tank cleaner" at the store but it is really a very expensive way to buy vinegar!

Dried algae and waste will respond to a good soaking. It is often a good idea to simply fill the tank. Set it carefully on a pad of dry newspaper on a solid floor. This will assure that it is flat and level. Then fill it all the way to the brim and let it sit overnight. The newspaper will turn dark anywhere there is a leak of water - helping you identify anything that might be less than solid (easy to repair in most cases). This will also soak and soften all algae, mineral and salt buildup. Drain the tank, apply the vinegar and elbow grease and you should have a wonderful "new" tank to fill!!!!! :)

$10! It was something I couldn?t pass up. Maybe the seller felt embarrass & just blirted out a number (ridiculously low). But once said, couldn?t go back. Or they really wanted to get rid of it & free up some space.

I cleaned out most of the tank with vinegar. There?s silicone marks I want to take off probably with a razor blade.

Looks like they tried to patch something with silicone. Its odd cause the silicone is in the usual spots, but also in the middle of the panes of glass. But nothing is cracked. Looks like some one was high when they did it.

Good ideas! Where can I get inexpensive aquarium silicone? Well I guess I?ll fill the tank first & let it sit awhile.

I have found that the local fish store or vvvv type store carries sealant about as cheaply as you will find it. You can get it cheaper on line, but then you pay shipping. You really do not want too big a tube of it. Once opened it really does not stay good for too long, no matter how carefully I seal it up again. I try to use it within a month or so - and buy smaller tubes with that in mind.

Many people use aquarium sealant for reasons other than the tank edges.... It can be used to semi-permanently stick down airline hose suction cups. I use to to stick rocks to the bottoms of plants to keep them down in my bare bottomed tanks. Any sort of deco might also have been anchored to the sides of the tank. Luckily, a razor blade and a bit of peeling and it will come right off. :)

I have been haunting all the newspaper ad5 and garage sale areas recently looking for a 20-30 gallon tank. You really found one sweet deal!!!!! :D

Cool. Now I have to find my razor blades. Sucks having a messy house.

Maybe I?ll go to the upstore to find foam sheets for my stand.

Sometimes I see good stuff in ad5 for cheap or even free. Usually people are happy when they sell stuff and clean a lot of space in their house.

Archived