Are Paper Clips Safe In Water?

Kissy

I'm having a heater problem with one of my bettas and I need to move her tonight. I want to set up a permeable divider in my heated tropical 10 gallon and keep her in there but separate from the other fish. The only thing is... I am missing a small peice in the divider. The peice is a twisted peice of metal that looks like a bent-out-of-shape paper clip and its used to adhere the divider to the sides. Can I substitute a paperclip for that peice? The only one I found is silver and 2.5" long, but I am worried that the metals in it might poison the betta and all the tropical fish in the 10 gallon. Please respond asap!

Hi Lauren-

I am not so sure that it would be a good idea-I have in the past used those binder clip's as well as "chip clip's" for food etc. And have ended up having them rust, Which I am sure cannot be good for the water nor the fish.

Would a plastic paper clip be strong enough to hold it in place?

Thanks Della. I don't know about plastic (coated?) paper clips and we don't have any of those anyway. I'd probably only have Petal in the divided 10 gallon for a week at most, so I don't think it would visibly rust by then, but that doesn't mean a reaction won't take place or something. I wish I knew more about paper clip chemistry!

LOL! I knew Chemistry would come into play at some point in my life, Shame I didn't learn more! Bahhhh.......

I wasn't reffering to the metal paper clips with the plastic coating, I was thinking about the all plastic one's, Ya know those big ol' one's you can get. You don't happen to have those laying around, Do you? That might work.

Even for only a week I would still be leary...Hmmmm??? I hope someone else with a better Chem background can help more!

Sorry Hun!

I don't know if string would work. The original bent paperclip thing worked because one end went down the hollow tube that runs down the side of the divider, and the other end clung it to the glass wall. I found an old desk lamp that I remember getting very hot when it was in use, so I think I'll use that tonight. I hope it won't bother her too much because she still seems stressed from this afternoon when her tank overheated. I made as much shade with ornaments as I could....I hope she does okay :(

You guys make me laugh!!!! :rofl

Paper clips come in all metals as well as sizes. A stainless steel one would work fine for the tank. A coated one would not - it would rust. A large plastic one would, of course work.

What about the wooden shish-ka-bob skewers or disposable chop sticks? I have stuck those down the plastic support tubes, letting them extend above the tank where they can be clipped onto the tank (or taped or whatever) with various clips. Since the clips, tape, etc. is out of the water and only the wood is submerged, you have a wide variety of fasteners to select from.

What about using a small plastic colander and floating it in the tropical tank? She can swim happily in that without bothering or being bothered by the other fish. I often use a plastic colander to isolate goldies in a tank - if the others are too roudy and the one needs a break, or if I am feeding something special or something.....

Daryl you are so inventive :) The chopsticks would probably work, but your colander suggestion gave me another idea. I don't have a colander, but we just bough blackberries! I think I remember seeing an awesome Tip of the Month or DIY for using plastic fruit cases for this kind of thing. I'm gonna leave a link where I first started talking about temperatures and about my betta's health:

Archived