Sign in to follow this  
Liver Loo

Where Can I Get Glofish?

where can I get glofish in Indiana? Because I've never seen them around.Not even in the fish stores.

Edited by Liver Loo

I know that my pet store doesn't carry them,and that's a good thing to me/ ;)

Liverloo,what makes you want glo-fish,do you know how they make them glow?

More people are deciding everyday that you really shouldn't buy these type of fish.

Here,read this and decide.http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/kabernd...ents/WW/WW.html

they already "made" those fish almost a decade ago. They didn't have to "make" them anymore because the genetic trait that causes the glow is inherited directly from the parent fish to the fry and is passed down by simply breeding one GloFish with another. So, it's not on par with making "dyed" fish which are injected with artificial pigments individually. If your concern's cruelty to the animal, well, let's just keep in mind that telescopes and bubble-eye goldfish probably don't appreciate being born that way as well...

Try www.glofish.com for information and distributers. http://www.petsolutions.com/GloFish?+Starf...I-36055-I-.aspx is one distributer. Just remember that glofish are expensive little guys and the cost of shipping is a bundle. Maybe another type of danio will be more suitable to your budget?

Edited by Kissy

they already "made" those fish almost a decade ago. They didn't have to "make" them anymore because the genetic trait that causes the glow is inherited directly from the parent fish to the fry and is passed down by simply breeding one GloFish with another. So, it's not on par with making "dyed" fish which are injected with artificial pigments individually. If your concern's cruelty to the animal, well, let's just keep in mind that telescopes and bubble-eye goldfish probably don't appreciate being born that way as well...

:rolleyes: Sorry ManYu, my bad. As I've had the stomach flu all week and have sort of been out of it,I used poor choices in words,just to make sure that this member did not go unheard.

I have no expert knowledge in Glofish or dyed fish,(and don't claim to)so as you can see,I definately wasn't aware that Glofish were "made" a decade ago,and that they don't have to "make" them anymore because the genetic trait is inherited now directly from the parents.

Although I think your answer contained a lit more attitude than needed,I do thank you for correcting us all on that subject. :))

sorry Devs. I just felt I had to voice out the other side of the issue just so for the sake of objectivity.

I've seen the glofish twice now. They are really expensive for the size, 8.99 and they were a little smaller then a neon. I'm sure they are babies but it seems like a lot of moey. They were interesting looking though since their colors ar so bright. I think they would look good added to a large aquarium to give it a pop of color.

sorry Devs. I just felt I had to voice out the other side of the issue just so for the sake of objectivity.

No problem,You don't ever have to be sorry for covering facts/being objective,etc...I think though that there are better ways to say it,that's all. :) And on that note,enough said and we'll get back to topic. :)

I've seen the glofish twice now. They are really expensive for the size, 8.99 and they were a little smaller then a neon. I'm sure they are babies but it seems like a lot of moey. They were interesting looking though since their colors ar so bright. I think they would look good added to a large aquarium to give it a pop of color.

Glofish are expensive because they're patented animals. Apparently, you have all the rights to breed them when you purchase them, but you are not in liberty to sell the offspring large-scale. :blink: The creators and only a a couple of authorized distributors can offer them for sale legally.

Thus, since Danios are relatively easy to raise and breed, if you do get a pair of Glofish, better make it count. :o