Use Of Melafix

Peanuts

I don't know if this is the right section to post this, But I just need some advice on the use of Melafix. My moor has a damaged eye which is starting to look swollen, cloudy and a little bloody. I've been adding salt to the tank but it doesn't seem to have help, so i was thinking of adding Melafix.

My main worry is how will this effect my other fish. Is it safe to use Melafix in the main tank or should I QT the moor? (I don?t have a cycled QT tank) Also i'm worried because my filters have carbon in them, what will happen to my cycle if I use Melafix in the main tank

Peanuts,

Melafix is ok to use on the other fish. It is a pretty safe medication. I belive (if memory serves me right), it is all natural stuff.

If you don't remove the carbon from the filter floss, it will immediatly soak up and remove all the Melafix from the water. So you will be wasting money, med and effort. Not to mention the fish will not get any benefit from it.

That is what carbon is used for, to remove meds and stuff from the tank.

If you post all the information asked above, we can see if there is something going on to cause this problem.

I hope this helps

Ammonia Level 0

Nitrite Level 0

Nitrate level 20/40 (This is always high even out of the tap)

Ph Level 7

Ph Level out of the Tap 7

Tank size 40uk gals

and How long has it been running? 9months

What is the name and size of the filter/s? 2xFluval 305

How often do you change the water and how much? at least once a week sometime twice

How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 fish 6 - 2inch (yes i know i'm over stocked but i'm working on that)

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Salt & aqua plus water conditioner

Any medications added to the tank? just salt

Add any new fish to the tank? 2 new added in october

What do you feed your fish? Tetrafin Japan Gold

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", Just the Moors eye

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Not that i know of

Any unusual behaviour like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? The Lionhead sulks, but the others are fine

I've changed the water today and i've added salt, plus when i had the fish in a tub of tank water i added some melafix to the tub (but not the main tank) the Moor was in there for about an hour before i put them back in the main tank.

I have had a thread about my Moors eye before, but it seems to be getting worse not better.

Ok, I would work on getting the nitrates below 20 and keeping them there. 10 would be ideal.

It may take you doing more water changes per week, especially since you are overstocked. But at 40 (I know it is hard to tell, but like I said aim for 10) problems can start to occur.

Keeping the Melafix in isn't going to hurt and to be honest I haven't used it for anything. But I do hear it is pretty safe.

LaurieP: Thanks for the advice; the only problem is that the water out of my tap is very high, so it's impossible to keep the Nitrates low and even. I've given some consideration to a RO unit but this option seems to be more problematic not to mention expensive.

I guess the only solution is more frequent water changes. Once more thanks for your advice.

You are welcome. There is a couple members that run RO water without to much $ or problems. You may want to start a thread about that in the water area, you may get some helpful hints.

I would say until then, as you say, more water changes. Even changing some every day or other day would help.

LaurieP: thanks again for the advice. I've spoken to some of the other guys about their RO units but in the end it's a little too impractical for me. adding the minerals and buffering the PH was getting a little too technical. I know it may sound like i'm a bad fish mum but I do want the best for my guys but personally for me i don't think RO is the way i should go....at the moment anyway.

I did a 100% water change today and salted and i'll do a 20% daily from now on and see how my moor's eye looks at the end of this month. That sounds like an OK plan, right?

Thanks i'll keep an eye on the params.

But i'm pleased to say that his eye does look like it is clearing slightly. I don't know if it has anything to do with the melafix that i added to the tub when he was out of the tank or the high levels of salt now in the water. but atleast his eye is starting to look clear.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Archived