Smartest Or Most Interactive Type Of Goldfish?

Guest Schmitter1

Guest Schmitter1

I have noticed that my common is WAY smarter than my commet, or at least he is more interactive with me.

The common sees me across the room and knows when i am going to feed him, where the floating food gets trapped by the currents from the filter, etc. My commet can only find food by following the common. When my common is sick and wont eat the commet will take forever to find the food. The commet notices me sometimes, but usually doesnt really respond.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed any differences in intelligence or level of interaction between the breeds. It seems like commets are kinda dumb, or maybe mine is just mentally challenged.

My one comet seems to be more demure and less interactive than the commons, who range a little. The oranda almost immediately came to the forefront as most friendly, grasping the concept of eating from my hands, and dancing for food, within two days of getting her. The commons had the idea down in four or six days, and the comet was the last amongst those to join in. It may have been individual personalities, of course, or that her fins impeded keeping up..?

I've never noticed a really obvious trend in what type seems the smartest, etc. I keep multiples of most of the fancy breeds. When I come to feed them, I drop the pellets in and some immediately rush to the bottom to try to pick it in the gravel. A few Ranchu (Ogopogo of course) and one oranda come to the surface to pick them out of my hands (a better idea, I think. Much easier.) I think this has to do with the individual fish, not so much if it is a moor, oranda, whatever.

I think it's an individual thing. I had a moor that was very quick to notice food dropped into the tank and "played" in the bubbles of an aerator I had across the back of the tank. I had a hardy, responsive ranchu, and an oranda that was always curious when the front door opened, and would wiggle at me on the side of the tank where I was. It was quick to rise to the surface to feed, too :) . I figure it was trained to feed from fingers.

I noticed that my first goldfish (sharky) was a fantail and he was always more interactive than any of my fish that I have purchased since.

My comet is about the same as my oranda and my baby pearlscale is stll really shy.

I think that an individual fish has a different personality but different types tend to be more outgoing than others.

I kept all comets. And I had alot. They were all different. Some were cautious of me after a few weeks, but most would eat out of my hand pretty quickly. My one comet, Bubba loved to be touched.

I think it has more to do on the individual fish more than the breed. Although the breed can have an influance on the personailities.

• 5 weeks later...
IDK but on youtube there is a video of fantails synchronized swimming

like what Nenn said, it was done with magnets. Fantails tend to 'wiggle' and move their fins alot when they swim. in the video, they dont really do neither.

• 4 months later...

the ones i have are pretty good at annoying me, when i try to use my camera-phone to take pics of my guppies or platys they always start to float infront of it and ruin the shot. in the end i started to tape the phone onto the tank somwhere away from where i was going to photograph and use my sisters camera instead from afar.

Guest Angel

I definitely think it's individual. Auron, my Oranda is very smart, and friendly. Zephyr who is Black Moor (and oranda I think) is somewhat friendly, smart but reserved. Torch on the other hand (black moor) he's smart, but anywhere I'll go stand in front of the tank, he must move to the opposite side. I always joke that he hates me, because if he weren't in a tank, he could put his plans for world domination into action.

• 3 weeks later...