Stand For Tank

small_ranchu

Hi,

I am thinking to upgrade my tank to 90 g. Currently I have 55 g one. The problem is regarding to space. I need to stack two tanks, otherwise I have no space to put them. The question is, is it possible to get a stand like the one in the pic and put 90 on the top and 55 at the bottom? Thanks

post-9078-1166544287_thumb.jpg

The answer is yes. What you would have to do is get an iron stand for a 75 gallon aquarium. A 90 gallon aquarium is only 3 inches higher than a 75 gallon aquarium. The length and width are the same so a 75 gallon tank stand will also work for a 90 gallon tank.

Most of the iron tank stands that I've seen don't have the cross bars on the bottem (like in your picture). Even if you found one that did it would be unlikely the they would be able to support the weight of a 55 gallon aquarium.

Since a 55 gallon aquarium is 5 inches narrower than a 75 gallon aquarium you will have to get a piece of 1/4 inch thick steel plate to cut to place under your 55 gallon aquarium.

You could put a piece of wood on the bottem shelf to put the aquarium on but it wouldn't be as strong as a steel plate. As long as the aquarium is pushed all the way to the back of the stand or all the way to the front of the stand wood should be strong enough.

When you get the wood make sure that the thickness is 3/4 inch thick. I wouldn't trust a peice of wood any thinner. Also when you buy boards it's sold as 1 inch thick but the true measurement is 3/4. So you might want to bring a tape measure with you just to make sure. I would get real wood or plywood. Don't get partical board or waffer board.

The stand in the picture looks like the stand for my 55 gallon tank except Mine doesn't have the bars on the bottom part. I have a 20 gallon tank underneath it and I hold it up using a piece of wood like nick11380 says. I never had any problems with it but that may be because the 20 gallon is more than half the weight of my 55 gallon. Good luck with the stand when you get it :) .

I haven't tried it yet. I do have an iron 75 gallon aquarium stand set up but I don't have an aquarium on it yet. I haven't desided if I should get a 75 or 90 gallon aquarium for the top. But for the bottom I think that I"m going to have to get a 36 inch long tank so I can get to the plug that are behind it.

I have done a lot of work with wood and even the soft wood is strong at 3/4 inch thick. I do not see how the guy could have crashed a 55 gallon tank on a 75 gallon stand if he had a 3/4 inch piece of wood under it. If you have the aquarium set all the way to the front or all the way to the back of the stand your aquarium will be supported on three sides by the iron frame. If you don't trust wood you could go with the 1/4 inch steal plate.

Did he say how his 55 gallon tank crashed?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived