Hi,new

merlinsmom

Hi,I am Lori,from Canada.Mom to one daughter,a maroon bellied conure named Merlin,a guinea pig named Flower,and now two fantails and one comet in a 25 gallon.

We have had numerous fish in this tank,tropical and goldfish.All did poorly and died.We packed the tank away a year ago,and now have decided to try again.Now with the internet(just got it after packing the tank away last year) I can see where I went wrong.So this time I cycled the tank with one fish for 4 weeks,added Cycle every 7 days,and when I got good water tests I added the other two fish.So far so good.Except I just realized the comet was not a good choice,because of size....darn pet store,and me for not researching them.Well,he is here now so going to do lots of water changes.A bigger tank may cone in the future,live in an apartment so have to check wieght/floor.I am running a Aquaclear50....and think I should add a second one...what do you all think? And any other advice is welcome.

:) Hi and a big :welcome ! You can find all the info needed here at KoKo's to keep your fish happy and healthy.

Have fun and hope to see you around! And of course pics of your pets are always welcomed and enjoyed!

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but do you know the volume of your aquarium?

Here is what I got as a response on a site with a volume calculator...which I wasn't surprised by since I bought a 25 GALLON tank.And knew enough(this was 6 years ago) to buy long rather than tall.

Width: 31" (78.74cm)

Height: 15" (38.1cm)

Depth: 12" (30.48cm)

Your tank's volume is approximately 5580 cubic inches or 24.16 U.S. gallons, which is approximately 93.97 liters.

Well, if you go by the ten gallon rule, you could probably happily have two goldfish in there. Maybe three - at a push.

But if you consider how much room is taken up by your gravel and stuff, probably best to stick to two.

Well,I set the tank up about 7 weeks ago,so I guess we have had him 2-3 weeks now.The store here gives 48 hours on fish.

Brock,a new tank will be it I think.I think 50-60 gallons is probly as big as I can have in our apartment.That should be good?But it won't happen for a few months.So for now if I get another Aquaclear 50(and run 2) will that be better filtration and do 30% a week water change...will that be good?

One thing to remember, and one thing that I learned early on, through making some terrible mistakes (mainly due to neglect), is that the more you put in to caring for your goldfish, the more you get out of it.

If you care for your fish properly, they'll reward you a thousand times more.

Guest im-trying

An other option for now maybe if your water levels dont stay under control would be to put the commet into a rubbermaid container they are not very expensive and come in masses of sizes.

Also when it comes to doing water changes especialy in a big tank like the 50 you were talking about, they are so helpful to get a good water temp up and also to cary through if you can cary it in one go it saves going back and forth with all the water and also while your vacuming your gravel you can syphon out 10-20 gallons of water full of gravel waste which takes no time at all!!

:)

If your thinking about getting a 55 gallon aquarium you might as well get a 75 gallon aquarium. A 75 gallon aquarium is the same size as a 55 gallon aquarium. Only the 75 gallon aquarium is 5 inches wider.

A 55 gallon aquarium weighs 625 pounds.

A 75 gallon aquarium weighs 850 pounds.

The floor of your apartment shouldn't have any problem holding the weight.

Thanks all,for the advice :) That is good to know about the weight of a 55 & 75 gallon tank.Yes the floors here should be fine.The lease says no waterbeds or full sized pianos because of weight......so I wasn't sure.

A 75g would be terrific!Now to watch the sales,and kijiji.

Hi! I knew I knew your name, but I'm so tired. Then I seen maroon bellied conure, and I knew! I know you from Tailfeathers! Welcome! I am so happy to see you here. You will get tons of great advice, and I know your fish will be happy. And don't worry about to big of a rush on a huge tank. I'm guessingyour fish are still small. You have time. Just make sure it happens. Again, welcome to Kokos!

Hi! I knew I knew your name, but I'm so tired. Then I seen maroon bellied conure, and I knew! I know you from Tailfeathers! Welcome! I am so happy to see you here. You will get tons of great advice, and I know your fish will be happy. And don't worry about to big of a rush on a huge tank. I'm guessingyour fish are still small. You have time. Just make sure it happens. Again, welcome to Kokos!

:) Hey! How are you?That is so funny we meet here.I didn't know you had fish too!This is a good site,and yes they are still small,so I have a little time. :) Have a great holiday season :)

If your thinking about getting a 55 gallon aquarium you might as well get a 75 gallon aquarium. A 75 gallon aquarium is the same size as a 55 gallon aquarium. Only the 75 gallon aquarium is 5 inches wider.

A 55 gallon aquarium weighs 625 pounds.

A 75 gallon aquarium weighs 850 pounds.

The floor of your apartment shouldn't have any problem holding the weight.

it will hold - just make sure that the center does not sag in that the gl;###### will develop a stress poinmt in the front - unless you are getting an acrylic- - I almost gopt a deep 55- then a stupid thought occured DAAAA how in the22 am I going to easily vacuum and put plants back that punch pulls out LOL

Archived