Do People Think You're Odd

Guest Brock

Sometimes when I tell people that I'm into goldfish, they kinda look at me funny, and say things like...

"Yeah, I had a friend who kept fish. Neon tetras and things."

But when I say "no, only goldfish", sometimes people think it's bizarre. I wonder why other people don't see their appeal.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest amazonjes

Yeah, I know. I just took my fiance with me to buy two new goldfish but he kept saying, look at all the other pretty fish! Why do you want another goldfish? I'm now setting up my old ten gallon for him so he can buy some "pretty fish." :rolleyes: He's silly. I love goldfish. I don't know why everyone else doesn't think they are just absolutely wonderful.

yeah people think its weird. I even had one guy tell me "why do you waste two 55 gallons on that junk when you could be using them for cichids??" Ooooohh that made me :blowup:

Guest im-trying

yeah i get that as well i got my tank in the summer break the small one and my friends giggled a bit but when i got into it and got the big tank they seemed really annoyed like one of my friends says he wants a big tank as well but with "real fish" im sorry but how is a 6 inch oranda not a real fish? or a foot long commet not a real fish? (not that i have either lol)

then it gets worse one of my "friends" felt it nesasary to prove me wrong and bought a fish bowl :cry1 they lasted all of a month he excuse was "well how long do you expect them to live".......we dont talk any more

*edit*

my friends are good just a little narrow minded about fish keeping :blink:

Edited by im-trying

:krazy::krazy: Thats what they think!!!! Family and friends. But they thought it before the goldfish as well when they would see my other pets! :exactly

Even my daughter was so mad at me one time because her dog, Arwen, would not listen to her at all but would do anything I ask and she made a comment under her breath ( I don't think it was meant for me to hear) about me thinking I was "bleep'in" Dr. DoLittle! So yeah, they think I'm odd and a little nuts! :heart

But thats alright!

It is just my opinion but I think to the rest of the world gf are viewed as a "child's pet" that is kept in a bowl.

Tropicals and saltwater tanks seem to be more mainstream with adults, therefore I think that is why the strange looks.

People don't realize how wonderful gf are. They aren't like other fish they have personalities and you can interact with them.

They aren't like other fish they have personalities and you can interact with the

That is so true! And I think that once a "non golfish person" buys one, it does not take long to fall in love with them and become a goldfish addict!

I work at a fish store so often discuss with coworkers and customers about my tanks... when they find out the 180 gallon is for goldfish, I get a lot of pretty strange looks. The most common question is "Why isn't that saltwater?" Also I have brought peas to work for the goldfish, and if a goldfish is ill it's the most important fish in the store to me, regardless of price. People think it's a little wacky :)

Sometime when you talk about keeping goldfish in front of someone, they ask you, "Are you getting any money from it? Do you know you loss a lot of money from electric bill .. blah blah " And they though you are stupid :( But at least this is my hobby and I love my ranchus..

I agree with Laurie that people think of goldfish as the cheap, plain, but pretty-colored fish that are associated with carnival games. I know that people do not recognize my big oranda, ranchu and ribbontail as "goldfish," and are surprised when I tell them what kind the "beautiful" fish in my tank are. They also comment on how "BIG they are," and are fascinated when I tell them about the wen, the breeding history and origins, and the other unusual goldfish varieties we hobbiests appreciate so much.

I know that people do not recognize my big oranda, ranchu and ribbontail as "goldfish," and are surprised when I tell them what kind the "beautiful" fish in my tank are. They also comment on how "BIG they are," and are fascinated when I tell them about the wen, the breeding history and origins, and the other unusual goldfish varieties we hobbiests appreciate so much.

:exactly we totally get that all the time! but our patients are so "disgusted" by our "ugly" fish, and when i tell them that they're goldfish, they flip out! it's almost like i just told them that the earth isn't round! most patients get interested after the initial shock, but then you have the few that keep calling them ugly, and other mean stuff... and that's when i want to tell my fiance to turn up the juice on them during treatment! hahaha! j/k!

but yeah, we love our babies... in the front reception area, AND the back office! :heart

here's Moose, Bugsy, and Sparky (in our front 33-gal tank):

Sometime when you talk about keeping goldfish in front of someone, they ask you, "Are you getting any money from it? Do you know you loss a lot of money from electric bill .. blah blah " And they though you are stupid :( But at least this is my hobby and I love my ranchus..

Eh? Wouldn't we end up spending the same money if we kept other types of fish? :blink:

That is so true! And I think that once a "non goldfish person" buys one, it does not take long to fall in love with them and become a goldfish addict!

yeah, i have a friend that wasn't into keeping any type of fish before... but after she got her first two gf, she has progressed from a 2-gal, to a 5-gal, to a 10-gal + 1 more gf, to a 29-gal + 2 more gf!!! :whatjust:

btw, i told her not to acquire any more gf because they need so much room, but she didn't want to listen with the last 2, and she seems to love gf soooo much now... i don't know! :unsure:

I feel sorry for all of you who have encountered such bad attitiudes towards it, like gia with the guy saying about the 55Gs. I don't think I've had people saying things like that to me about it. But I do get friends just thinking I'm slightly odd..

If people ask me what fish I keep, a couple of years ago I would have said "oh.. just goldfish" being slightly ashamed about not having anything 'impressive'. But now if someone asks.. I say "Goldfish! :D "

First of all, "odd" is good. :) Not odd is boring. Be odd.

I'm big time into breeding and showing dogs so most people I socialize with are animal fanatics. Still, I thought some of them would find it "odd" that I am into goldfish as much as I am. So for "fits" and giggles, I sent around some pictures of my favorite Wakin vs. the usual puppy photos I would send... The responses I got were mostly, "Thank you" and "I wish I had one!" responses. And I learned that a lot of my "doggie" friends were also into aquariums...ponds and Goldfish! Who'd'o'thunk? And as for the ones who did not respond, I'll be sure to say something very encouraging when they send me photos because that's what friends do... they encourage whether they think your hobby is odd or not. :)

I love the funny look I get when I tell people that I keep goldfish as a hobby. They hear goldfish and they imagine tiny, boring fish that little kids keep for a week or so and lose them to some disease or to overfeeding.

If only people understood...

I never expected goldfish to grab me the way they have. Tropical fish do nothing for me, really. But goldfish - it's where it's at! I get a lot of happiness from Flotsam and Jetsam.

Tetra invited flew me to Germany a couple of years back, to tour their factory out there. It was very impressive. But interestingly, they said that, off all fish keepers, goldfish fanatics were the most obsessive.

I kinda understand.

Yes well, too bad for them if they think we're odd (And a lot of people do). I've got my first aquarium this fall and i have 5 goldfish that all eat in my hand. They are so playfull and curious. I never knew goldfish could interact with people like this. I don't envy the others that have a tankfull of tropical fish that don't even notice you or just go and hide as soon as they see you. They are beautifull to look at but not much more.

I can understand that some people just want fish to look good, but that's just not enough for me i guess.

GOLDFISH RULE ! lol

yeah i get a weird look sometimes too...

I said this in another thread and ill say it again :D

I think that people will give you the 'look' because when they think of goldfish, they usually think of little nitrient deprived 10 cent common you see at w.m. ... Not exactly the most beautiful fish, but what people dont know is that when you take proper care of these fish, they can become very beautiful indeed...

The people who give you odd looks when you say "goldfish" obviously never saw the impressiveness of a Grand Champion goldfish of any variety.

Even less-than-show quality goldies can be more impressive than their tropical counterparts, and it's been proven that goldies have better personalities. ^_^

After I got my first few goldfish, I was hooked. I took the newbie way of learning about them [trial and error], but I eventually got to the point to where I have learned what NOT to do. lol.

I've moved my poor goldies around to where there's two <2" goldies, a betta [male], and a bunch of snails in my 46 gallon [mainly to keep the cycle alive -- I'm wanting to make this a tropical tank for some Congo tetras later], my "floaty" Ryukin female and a male betta in a 20 gallon tank, and 5 medium sized fancies in my 55.

I just got done cleaning my tanks. =D

Guest kpicano

:krazy::krazy: Thats what they think!!!! Family and friends. But they thought it before the goldfish as well when they would see my other pets! :exactly

Even my daughter was so mad at me one time because her dog, Arwen, would not listen to her at all but would do anything I ask and she made a comment under her breath ( I don't think it was meant for me to hear) about me thinking I was "bleep'in" Dr. DoLittle! So yeah, they think I'm odd and a little nuts! :heart

But thats alright!

Ok I feel like this question has a big flashing light on it saying Rachel answer me because I was one of those horrible anti goldfish people amd would always roll my eyes when Lorrie (vmlola) would gush about her goldfish. I have been keeping tropical fish for around 15 years and never even seriously looked at a goldfish. Two months ago I too would have laughed at a 180 gollon fish tank that housed goldfish and wuuld probably say it was a waste. I think my impression of goldfish has always been an orange or black fish that looks half dead in the water because they more often then not they look terrible in the stores. I think the varieties that we are seeing now available in pet store has come a long way and the prices for quality goldfish are 10-24 dollars. That's a decent amount of money when I have always paid 10 and under. I have always been discouraged about the amount of goldfish you can keep in a tank because half the fun is going shopping for fish. I am actually finding that out already that you never have just one tank of goldfish because you always find one more you like. I thing there has always been a reputation attached to goldfish for being dirty, unhealthy and boring-none of which I think now. I truly think times are changing because the goldfish selections are 3 times more varied now then 13 years ago when I worked in a pet store. I will say that I am still frustrated with the health of the fish that are available around. I have been much more paranoid with disease and parasites then I was with tropical fish and I have spent way more money of the goldfish then I ever did on other tanks. My husband also a fish hobbyist is still on the fence about the goldfish but originally said we we would never have a goldfish tank so I let him decorate the tank to shut him up. His biggest complaint is that the tank looks boring because there are anly a couple of fish. Truth be told we have never really agreed on fish anyways. I guess bottom line people are under educated about goldfish and are used to seeing sub-standard specimens available. This is just my opinion. I can honestly say that I love goldfish but for totally different resons then how I loved my other fish.

The only person who treats me like crud because of my goldfish, is my sister. She has repeatedly forbidden me from speaking to people she knows about my fish. Every time I mention them in her presence, she rolls her eyes and says mean things about them. She thinks that it is stupid to have goldfish. Her exact words are, "They are okay for a third grader, but not a 23 year old."

Personally, I wouldn't let a third grader take care of ANY pet without help, much less a goldfish. I have a hard enough time taking care of mine as it is.

I'm hoping in time when my fish get to be giant fish, instead of the little guys they are now, she'll realize that they aren't just "disposable pets*," but I am not holding my breath.

It has caused a huge rift in our relationship, and I've decided to throw in the towel. If it weren't for the fact that I still live with my parents and have to maintain a relationship with her because of that, I wouldn't see her at all.

I didn't have that great a relationship with her before, and the problem is that there is a complete lack of respect for me as well as who and what I care about, rather than just her goldfish bashing, but the goldfish were the straw that broke the camel's back. It probably doesn't help that I'm a generally liberal, pagan, lesbian and she's an extremely, conservative, Christian the ideologies there don't exactly mix well usually.

*please note, I object to the use of this term to describe any living thing.

Edited by L. E. Pirin