Temperatures

Kissy

I don't like that neptune heater :( Its probably a good brand, but the 25w heater is too strong for my 3 gallon. I always have it on the lowest setting pointing all the way to the left but the water temperature reads 85-86*F. I don't really feel comfortable with temperatures that high, but the other alternative is 68*. I can't return it because I threw away the box, and it would be difficult to buy a new one since I am so low on money and I still haven't found a 25w hydor. What should I do? When I first got Petal she spent almost a week in cold temps without a heater and she seems active and happy either way.

EDIT: They only weird thing I've noticed is the film on the surface of her tank. It accumilates much faster and thicker than Leaf's and his tank is the same size, is also filterless, and sits right next to her. My other girl, Stormy, is right next to him in a 3 gallon but she's got a filter. I keep Leaf and Stormy at about 76*F

I don't have any suggestions for heaters, but what I did for one of my bettas was put a desk lamp over him and that kept him up around 78 during the day and then I'd wrap his tank up in a blanket at night to retain the heat. The temperature did drop by a few degrees overnight though so this probably isn't the best solution. It's kind of weird, but if I could knit I would have knitted him a little betta cozy lol

Maybe adding an airstone or some sort of movement to the water would help bring that temperature down with the heater and help with your top film?

Kissy where do you live? If it is in the states, then mmm will have the heaters. They are only $15 much less pricer than the neptune. If you do not have a mmm in your area , you can always order it online from the website. If you cruise their website you will not see it listed on there but if you type the word "hydor" in the search area it will pull it up . They do carry it online.

I visited our closest mmm and they didn't have the 25w hydor. Maybe another mmm will? I'm not really interested in buying it online because its more expensive, plus I've got to pay shipping. I live in Arizona.

Petal was not well when I checked on the fish after my earlier post :( She was very pale, and not lethargic, but a little less active than her spunky self. I quickly unplugged the heater and added colder water to gradually bring it down to 81*F. Then I let the cold air cool it down slower, but it will eventually get too cold. I took the temp of a three gallon bucket of water in my room and it was 64*F. Eeesh!! Petal's temperature is at 78*F now and she has regained color, but the temps will still drop. I can't turn up the heat and I don't have a desk light to use so I put a heavy towel over the screened top to slow heat loss. I'm going to see if I can find a 6-10 gallon tub some where to use until I can buy a new heater.

Chris, is that 7.5 watt heater the one that brings the temperature up a few degrees from its original temp, or does it have a built in thermostat? The other 3 gallon betta tanks have 25w hydors set on slighly lower settings and they are good. I'm really tight on money so whatever I get needs to work well.

Okay, so I got a ride to mmm and I couldn't find what I wanted. I saw that they had the hydor 7.5w but it doesn't have a thermostat. I wish they had the hydor 25's still because they were only a dollar more than the 7.5's. They also had a Visitherm stealth in 25 watts, and I know that's a trusty brand, but it was $30. I'm gonna check a couple privately owned stores this week and if I can't find one, I'll get the visitherm. She's still in her heaterless 3 gallon with the towel and its stil 78*F. I'm messing around with the settings on the neptune in a 3 gallon bucket to make sure I'm doing it right. I found my old permeable divider and I think I'm going to move her over to my heated 10 gallon and keep her separate from the others til I figure all this out.

One question though before I can move her. I am missing a small peice on the divider. It looks like a twisted paper clip and is used to firmly adhere the divider the sides of the tank so it won't move. Can I twist an actual paper clip and use that as a substitute? The only thing I'm worried about is the metals in it and I'm afraid I'll end up poisoning Petal and all my tropical fish. Its a big silver paperclip about 2.5" long. Please respond quickly!

The Hydor does not have a thermastat, but it won't go over 86 . I have mine in a 2.5 minibow with filter and it hovers around 82-86. If I leave the tank light off it hangs around 78-82.It says it only raises the temp a few degrees but his water was at 72 before I put the heater in . It heats up to 5 gallons.Another advantage of this heater is it is flat and can be burried under th substrate unseen if you want. It might not get quite as warm if you burry it under the gravel

So last night I was digging around and I found a hot desk lamp. I put it over Petal's tank last night and it kept it at around 76*F but it was very bright. I came home this afternoon and Petal seems stressed again. She's still got her color but she is less active again and her fins are clamped. Every once and a while she twitches her tail fin :( I turned off the light and put a towel over the tank to retain heat and give her some dark to rest in.

I thought of a new way to keep her warm, but I don't know if it will be too stressful: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=29307 I'll have to acclimate her to the 10 gallon water and then keep her in there. Or should a set up a divider so she has more room to swim and hide? Daryl gave me the idea to stick a chopstick down the side of the divider tube and then tape it to the side.

Poor Petal, I'm sorry :(

Petal isn't doing well... she's at the surface breathing hard with clamped fins :( I'm going to start acclimating her and I'll move her over to the divided 10 gallon. Hopefully I'm doing the right thing and it won't be too much stress.....

The divider left too much space on the sides so I set up a 12 gallon tub with a 50w heater. I hope she does okay tonight....and I hope I do okay on finals tomorrow. I spent most of today tending to her.

I'm sorry to hear that Petal's not doing well at the moment. :(

As tough as it is, I don't know that it is a good idea to move her into the 10 gallon with other fish (are there currently fish in the 10 gal?) when she's like that, even though it would be warmer water. First of all, moving and getting to know other fish would be stressful, even if the tank is divided in some way. Also, there's a chance that she has some sort of infection that she could pass along to the other fish.

I am really happy with how my 7.5 W hydor has performed during the recent cold snap here, fow what it's worth. If you're sure that you don't want to get that, do you have a heating pad around the house that you could "borrow" for a while until you can get the 25W one? You can plug in a heating pad and put it under the tank (NOT in the tank!) to provide some heat.

I also wonder if a little bit of salt might help her to get through this rough period.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck!

Excellent advice Zelanie. I would not have thought of the heating pad. Along with the salt you might want to add my favorite cure all- Bettafix. It is tree oil ( melalucea oil -sp)and is antifungal and anitbacterial. I used on my elderly fish Zeke along with the salt - they can be used together - and heat and he came back from death's door. Good stuff , all natural and smells great. Good luck with her and I hope she gets better soon.Sending healing thoughts to Petal :bighug

I got my Bettafix remedy at mmm. If there is not one near you I would still check out my local lfs or mom and pop lfs. The mom and pop lfs near me has it as well. I just can't say enough good things about the stuff.

I am having no issues using my 100watt hydor in my 2.5gal. I used it to treat my betta for ich and it just kinda stayed in the tank with him. I have it submersed horizontally on the bottom of the tank to heat the unfiltered tank properly, and at the lowest setting it keeps the tank between 76-78 degrees. You just have to make sure the heater is horizontal on the bottom so the tank heats evenly... if the heater has an accurate thermostat I don't see why it's a problem?

I have used Melafix (with and without salt) for 3 of my bettas for fin damage, eye damage, and ich... they all recovered healthy and %100. Melafix is made from the same oil and works just the same. I'd definitely reccomend it as well.

From what I have read bettas don't like too much light, as there natural environments are generally shady. Try keeping her out of too much direct light as this could stress her as well.

Yes melafix is the same ingredient as bettafix, But the bottle of bettafix is already calculated for use with a betta. If you use melafix you will have to do calculations to figure out the right dose for the smaller amount of water a betta is usely housed in .

More problems! For some reason the 50 watt heater didn't work and she was cold all night and until noon :( I moved her back to her 3 gallon and took Leaf's heater because she's not looking good at all. Leaf is in very good health so that should at least buy me some time. I'm calling around for the 25w hydor now.

I've got some melafix...do you know the dosage for bettas? I think I heard some where about that you use half of the dosage for them and then calculate how much for the tank size. I'm not very sure if I want to use that or not though. I think she's just very stressed and I don't want to change anything else in her water to upset her. What do you think?

Oh my sorry to hear about Petal still not doing good. I would keep her water very clean, put in the heater , a little salt and melafix or bettafix. I do not know the proper dose of melafix for a betta. I know the bettafix is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 7 days without a water change . The melafix is more concentrated and you may have to do some math to figure it out . Hopefully a member with more experience with the dosages of melafix for a betta will be able to help

I called around and no one carries 25w hydors. My mom gave me a ride to mmm only because my sister needed to buy a gift from starbucks for one of her friends and it was right next to it. I bought the 7.5w hydor for Leaf, and it says it will increase the water 4-5*F in a 3 gallon tank. Is this similar to your experience, Bettaqueen? I discovered it was missing the part that attaches the suction cup to the heater and my mom refuses to take me back to exchange it (but promptly brought my sister to her friend's house to give the gift to her friend), so I stuck half of it under an ornament. Please work!!

Petal's water is at 76*F and her condition hasn't changed much..still pale, clamped and lethargic. At least her breathing is normal again and she is still eating. She seems to be hanging around the heater so I'm gonna turn it up a bit to make her more comfortable and I might add some melafix tomorrow. I'll look for an eye dropper. I think we might have one of those huge cooking droppers but that's probably too big.

I am glad you got her a heater. You can bury it all the way under the substrate if you want. The one in Zeke's tank is stationed along the back wall of the tank.Zeke is in a 2.5 gallon minibow and the temp in his tank stays around 82- 86 degrees with the tank light on and 78 with it off. You may want her to have a warmer tank while she is healing. I would not wait to add the melafix till tomorrow. I would do it tonight. I also would put 1/2 tsp of salt in the water too. As for the clip it is just a little suction cup thing that holds the wire down to the tank side. It does not stick on the heater itself. you could use an airline suction cup to do the same thing

Good for you. Keep me updated on how Petal does. I bet you will see some improvement by morninig . I won't be back on line till tomorrow am. Zeke was really bad before I added the bettafix ( melafix) but was doing 75 percent better the next day.Wishing Petal get well wishes. :heart

Thank you :) I couldn't find an eye dropper but I did find a container of eye drops. I measured out ten eye drops and it was a teensey bit over 1/8 of a teaspoon. I washed it out and then measured the same amount of melafix. The heat is turned up and now we wait...

I hope there isn't something else wrong with her.

I just had my heater floating loose in the tank until I did the first water change after adding it, and it was fine. While the amount of degrees the heater will raise the water doesn't seem like much, what the heater seems to do really well is stop the huge temperature fluctuations between day and night. I think the change in temperature is the real killer, so hopefully you're in good shape now.

Good luck. :)

Archived