Ive Said It Before Ill Say It Again

Guest im-trying

Guest im-trying

So im starting to wonder just how big my tank really is.... i think the guy i bought it from has lied to me

checking the measurements it works out at 55 gallon 0.0 not 75 UK gallon like the guy sold it to me as

which is right for the goldfish using the 8.3 UK gallon rule they are still small i plan to get a second when i move out next year.

but ive also got an oto, bristlnose plec apple snail and three cory cats.

anyways the CRISIS

i dont know if any one remembers but i saidi though my moors had white spot so i banged in some white spot medicine and i think that bumped my cycle to begin with but then i had two otos get stuck and die in the filter so i had to clean it out to find them. Ive also had a minow die in the past day and i cant find it so im asuming someone ate it or its decomposed in the tank.

So you can probably guess what im going to say now

Amonia reading is at 2.0

Nitrate is 5.0

Nitrite is high (cant find my card) but it is a solid purple which i know is bad.

Ive started to suspect dropsy which i tried to hide as constipation but their poo has been stringy for a while though i have just fed them peas and it seems to have helped and things look normal in some of them. The moores back ends all look like they are stretched and so does my orandas.....whos tail has also bleached around the end there is an other post lower about this as well....

What do i do im looking for fast replies please

ive got college work that has to be done for a review tomorow but i will be stoping thast at around 8:30 gmt it is 5:50 pm gmt now any help would be great i know im gona have to do a big water change but what can i do to get the tank up to a what it was.

the worst part of it is, if the guy told me this right his filter had been going for three years. i may have managed to kill off three years worth of filter bacteria somehow.

Guest im-trying

*UPDATE*

i now have a UV steriliser on order from a good lfs will be picking up wednesday so that should help their imune system till things get back to normal.

.... :cry1

ALSO

the fish are behaving normaly no bottom sitting....well perhaps the cory cats a litle but two are still active.

Guest im-trying

i know its bad to keep posting in my own thing but just an other update

both pearlscales are pooing pea green poo which is good cos i just fed them peas as are both the moors and the orandas poop looks a little better. Though my fantail is still a bit stringy but it looks like its starting to get thicker as i type.

Wow, those are some readings there - whatever meds you used, must have been going crazy on the filter media. How long had the tank being cycled before the whole Ich meds ruined it again?

Are the fish's scales sticking out, is he swollen, since you mention dropsy? And you don't have any meds in there right now, or medicated food for the stringy poop, right?

Guest im-trying

thanks for the replies i did a near enough 55 percent water change, the fish seem fine the cory cats have gotten active, the snail died totaly unresponsive for an hour at least as in i picked it up and it didnt go into its shell or move its eyes or anything just stayed frozen he is in a bucket awaiting disposal bucket has water in last hope really :(

i did find the corpse of the dead minow it looked roughed up and i was keeping an eye on it but when i could only count 11 minnows i new it had died just couldnt find it, found it in the water change it was the biggest one i had it was near enough 2 inch long and it was just about skeletel when i found it. so the decomoposing would have set things off as well.

The tank is second hand and the guy told me he had had it for 3 years with that filter so by the looks of things if the meds did bump it its killed off three years worth of beneficial bacteria, i can believe him as had some well developed tropicals like big silvar dollars.

As for the fish and the dropsy thing. I found out just how much flake my mum fed them through the day while i was at college and i noticed their poop was thin so i new something was up i hoped it was constipation. I then starved them for three days and put some cucuber in on the third day for the plec otto and cory cats. The goldfish ate some but it was a solid half so they couldnt eat it properly. I didnt have any peas or live foood left to act as a laxative. I put some into night and the thin poop is all thick and pea green like it should be apart from on my fantail who is still thin yet shows the least signs of bloatyness. Im not 100 percent sure what to look for in the pinecones but the rows of scales are back to normal yet they do bulge a little when fed? could this be over feeding?

thanks for your help :)

and so people know i have precautions ready to make water changes every other day. Luckily im off college from tomrow afternoon for three weeks so i should be able to get the filters re-cycled if they have failed to a reasonable level.

thanks again :)

oh and the fish are looking fine even the corys and the plec are doing good the oto is even active!! which im well impresed with cos they are meant to be fragile ^^

sorry for the long rant if youve read it all i owe you a cookie!!

Was the tank and filter box dry when you purchased it from the guy? If so, the bacteria may have died off long before you introduced meds to it. So in short, you may have been dealing with no cycle from the getgo. :(

I hope things keep getting better for you & your fish!

Guest im-trying

Was the tank and filter box dry when you purchased it from the guy? If so, the bacteria may have died off long before you introduced meds to it. So in short, you may have been dealing with no cycle from the getgo. :(

I hope things keep getting better for you & your fish!

no it was still working as the tank came with 300 tropical fish lucky i know a few people with tropical tanks ;)the filter was working from the time i got there then it was off for approx half an hour while i got the tank home and filled it with water. the filter was kept in a but tub of tank water all the way home. And since then ive added a second filter as well just to be on the uber safe side.

and also my fish are, im prity sure the hardiest in the world!!!

They survived the trauma of being in a 10 gallon for 3 months with only weekly water changes and 200 gph filter in ^^ im fairly confident they will pull through they have been through a lot its just the corys and the bristlenose im worried about now. And perhaps my smallest pearlscale...she is the weakest of the bunch.

somthing else i just thought of that would have knocked the levels up when i got the otos two swam into the filter and got mangled up in the media and died it took me a day to find them so i guess that might have messed things a bit

i guess the moral of this story is three dead fish can funk up your water

ONE dead fish can gunk up your water!!!!

Do not be afraid of doing a LOT bigger water change than 55 % - particularly if your water parameters are as fouled up as they were. If you cannot do much bigger ones, do a 50% (55%) every day for 3-4 days. Keep testing the water EVERY day and changing it out until it is <.25ppm ammonia/nitrite/nitrate after a change. Then, if you can get it, a product like Prime or Amquel+ will go a long way to help your fish survive until the tank's cycle kicks in again.

Guest im-trying

ONE dead fish can gunk up your water!!!!

Do not be afraid of doing a LOT bigger water change than 55 % - particularly if your water parameters are as fouled up as they were. If you cannot do much bigger ones, do a 50% (55%) every day for 3-4 days. Keep testing the water EVERY day and changing it out until it is <.25ppm ammonia/nitrite/nitrate after a change. Then, if you can get it, a product like Prime or Amquel+ will go a long way to help your fish survive until the tank's cycle kicks in again.

thankyou for the advise ive never been sure how much water is safe to take out the tank. But i have now done two water changes one this morning at 55% then one this evening at 75% the ammonia level is now at 0.25 and has been the same colour after hourly tests for the past three hours.

Fingers crossed my UV steriliser will be here tomorow to get rid of any nasties then i can start treating with meds if anything has got into them, its hard to tell if they are bottom sitting or not because my fish are so lazy! And just so im sure bottom sitting means actually resting on the gravel rather than just hovering around an area for a while?

thanks for all the help and concern :)

im gona do two more water changes tomorow if time allows definatly one.

Archived