Sign in to follow this  
Torbe

Woo Got My Six Baby Guppies

I wrote in earlier that I was getting several baby guppies. I had only planned on five or six, but I went to a white elephant gift exchange last night and somebody had wrapped up a jar with a baby guppy in it. The man who picked that gift was 90 years old and did not have a fish tank or bowl to put the fish in. The fellow had no clue what to do with baby. I got up when it was my turn and when given the choice to either grab someone's already opened gift or grab a wrapped gift, I grabbed the guppy. I already had just gotten six of it's siblings and I have a two gallon tank I am going to keep them in for a while. I am going to get a larger tank over Christmas break. The babies had been shocked last night when their owners transfered them from their normal tank. They were placed from warm water into cold water, and so I wanted to treat them with a preventative against ick. They were transparent they were so scared last night. They have some color today. I am really looking forward to keeping these little guys and watching them grow. Could I keep cory cats in the tank with them if I get a large enough tank? How big would it need to be? If I wanted to have a snowball pleco in there as well how large a tank should I get? I don't want to crowd the tank too much, but I would like to have a nice tropical tank. The baby guppies are so tiny, right now it is hard to see them. :heart

Aw... that is awsome.Could you get picture so everyone who reads this can see them.Ibet they are awsome.You're a fish mom(if that makes sense).And for the question I don't think I can answer that yet I can look it up for you though.Well good luck with them.

:thumbup: :goodluck:goodjob

Edited by Liver Loo

I don't think it would be a good idea to put anything in a 2gal with them, especially since they're still tiny babies. I would wait until they're bigger or you get a bigger tank before you put cories or a pleco in there.

Oh, don't worry I actually am not thinking of putting anything else in a two gallon. I am going to get a larger tank. I'm just not sure how big it needs to be. Right now, the babies are so tiny, I don't think I'll manage to get pics. I can try though :) I'm actually also not planning on adding any other fish in the other tank until my little ones are big enough they can't be swallowed.

Edited by Torbe

I am going to get a larger tank. I'm just not sure how big it needs to be.

If you can get a 29 gallon tank. It will be a little bigger than you need for a few baby guppies. But once you start adding other fish it won't seem so big. Snowball plecos need a minimum of 30 gallons so you might want to get a 55 or 75 gallon tank if you have the room.

I would get atlest a 20 gallon tank. with a few corries they will be fine :) Just wait untill the guppies are almost full-grown so the cories dont eat them.

Btw... i would recamend a bigger tank because guppies breed like mad. i started with 3 guppies and 8 years and several generations, i have about 30 of them, and i still sell a bunch to my lfs

This is just my opinion but i would either keep the cories or the pleco not both, that is just me becuase then it will allow you to be able to get a smaller tank until you have the money and the room for a bigger tank! Well let me know!

Thanks!