I Did A Very Bad Thing

Guest Andrea123

Guest Andrea123

Hey everyone

So i did a very bad thing and am somewhat mad at myself. i have two fish that i believe to be sick (bottom sit quite a bit and stringy poo) in a 38gal, i ordered medigold and am waiting for it to arrive any day now. However i was at nnnnnn tonight... and well im sure you can guess. This one little guy tugged at my heartstrings, he came right up to say hi and he was beautiful (white fantail). Anyhow, after a good 20 minute dileberation, and against my better judgement i got him. I have him in asmall bowl tonight, however well half set up my old 29 gal on the floor for his qt. I was thinking maybe only putting inabout half full of water and maybe two airstones. (make it easier to clean). So should i be preforming 100%daily water changes, and when i get the medigold should i feed it to him along with the others just in case? how long should he stay in qt? should i salt? Anything else i should know? Thanks guys :) im very excited and i really hope he turns out alright.

Well, there is nothing wrong with buying a new fish, even from nnnnnn, as long as you know that he has to stay in quarantine until he is clean as a whistle.

If you don't have an extra, cycled filter for him in the 29 gl, maybe you can find a simple sponge filter? They come in all sizes, and there are suited for a 29 gl tank. The easiest to cycle really - soak a sponge filter in a bucket full of gunky filter water, and its cycled!

Other than that, yes, salt will be good, watch out for any visible stuff like Ich or general signs of trouble like bottom sitting, red blotches and such. And yes, he can be on Medigold just like your other fish. :) If there is nothing wrong with him, just let him have good water, nice food and a stressfree quarantine, which should last 4 weeks at least, even if you don't see anything visible wrong with him. Most parasites can not be seen with the naked eye, so a healthy looking fish isn't neccessarily that.

One thing, I wouldn't put him in the main tank as long as there is something wrong going on in it. Don't wonna get the new little guy sick with whatever bacterial problem your darlings have lingering. :)

Good advice from Ranchugirl.

The only thing I can add, that until you get a filter set up, with a a tank that size, 1/2 full of water, you could do 100% water changes every two days. I use a bucket to bucket method with some sick fish and with that much water, every 2nd day would be fine.

I know how you feel! I was at my local nnnnnn looking over their tanks after a new shipment. Among the usuals, there was a precious little lionhead peeking out at me. Well I debated for a few days and made sure that I arranged a larger tank so that I could fit him in and went back and got him. My biggest regret was just that I didn't snatch him up sooner because he was covered in parasites and even stopped eating for a week and a half before I was able to get him cleaned up. I think his quarantine ended up lasting 2-3 months, but he was worth it. I do have internal ethical struggles over this, but whenever I have my doubts I turn around and see Leon wiggling at me. Congrats on your new fish!

Guest im-trying

I got my first two fish from a nnnnnn and they are still with me :) of all my fish they are the hardiest id say in my tank :) never sucum to any of the diseases my others have.

hope it works out for you :)

Guest Andrea123

Well hes in his tank now, its about 2/3 thirds full and ive just found another filter (its only a whisper 20-30 or something) but ill go out and buy some new cartriges for it tonight. So funny, he seems healthier than my other fish right now, pecking at the bottom and all over the place (he still cant figure out his reprection in the glass hehe. But im getting really worried bout my other fish. I just wanted to ask should i salt them as well, and also should i order some metromed now (in case the medigold doesnt work)? im not sure what the difference is really between that and metrogold.

And one more thing, is it one teaspoon of salt per gallon for a 0.1%?

Thanks guys really appreciate it, and ill make sure to get some pics up :)

1 teaspoon per gallon = 0.1% approx.

3 teaspoons OR 1 tablespoon - 0.3% approx.

I am glad that your newbie seems so healthy. I have a lionhead from nnnnnn and she is very healthy, too. She started off looking just awful, since he was the only survivor of a heavily medicated tank, so had very ragged fins and unbelievable ammonia/medication burns, but you would never know that now. She is very robust and gorgeous.

What are the symptoms your other fish are displaying?

Guest Andrea123

They are becoming more and more lethargic and hanging out in the bottome corner, one has just begun to clamp his fins :( and their poop is stringy and clear , they do not eat as well as they use to but this might be cause they have to sit and chew on the progold. I also noticed that they were spitting out food. The black one has white spots on his gill plates and the rims of his front fins, i had assumed these were breeding spots but now looking very closely i can see that the ones on his fins are a bit fuzzy. Is that normal? Is there anything i can add or do? I did an almost 100% water change the other day, kept the same filter (penguin 350) and media. I know my pH is a little low (registers about 6.0) then again this is the lowest the test will go. I have crushed coral in the filter and have for about the last 6 months. Im at a lost of what to do for these guys. I figured i would start with medigold, but im worried if that wont help the problem and ive left it too long by then. :( Anyone who knows me knows i would cry my eyes out if i lost them! They are currently swimming around a bit now, but i know they will eventually return to their corner. Should i start salting them as well? I have some melafix but i dont want to add unnessacary treatments if i dont know what tehyve got. Sorry to kinda change topics on this thread.

Would it be possible for you to either buy a test kit for KH (calcium carbonate)? It would be really helpful to know the KH of your water. If you don't want to buy the test kit, perhaps you could take a sample to your lfs and get your water tested. Get the ph and kh tested in particular. You may as well ask for all of the other numbers, as well, and post them here.

BTW, the KH is what holds ph stables. A low KH will allow ph to slump or crash.

That way, we can figure out the best way to deal with your low ph. This could really be affecting your fish.

Guest Andrea123

Sure do, i did the test twice with the drop test kits from aquarium pharmaceuticals. Both times i got four drops corresponding to a KH of 71.6ppm.

The most beautiful Common I have ever seen came from nnnnnnn and was in a tankful of Sarasa Comets. I swear she was the color of a tequila sunrise and had flawless scales and fins. I rescued her, got her very healthy and she lives in my friend's koi pond now. Best of luck with your new addition. Doesn't matter where they came from as long as they tug at your heartstrings and make you smile.

Guest Andrea123

Alright im gonna have to change my story here a bit, i went just not and checked my pH. From my tap its at the lower level of 6.0 however in all three of my tanks (The 38gal which i changed almost all of the water in about half a week ago, same with the 7 gal, and then the 29 gal half filled with water yesterday) all tested in about 7.4, 7.6 :blink: ... what on earth is going on? Just for the record they have been acting lathargic before the water change... but still this is a bit disturbing. Im wondering what is going on? I double checked everything... same results. I guess cause i always check my parameters after a water change... i always get around 6.0. O think of what ive been putting my poor fishes through. That would cause stress to leave them so vulnerable if anything. Obviously the pH rises within approx 24hrs, about 1.5. just from chem class and limnology i know thats a HUGE increase.

Could these jumps of water changing have left them vulnerable? i only come home from college about once a month and do the huge water changes then as my parents only top it off.

It usually means wmart, a nationwide discount retailer in the United States. Most people on the forum will type nnnnnnn to avoid naming this paticular store, paticularly if it is a post that potrays a negative aspect about the said company.

Add an "al" between the w and mart to get the name of the store they are talking about. Sorry about that, but I usually try to avoid naming specific retailers here as well.

There as been a lot of bad talk about w. mart and their treatment of fish in the past so koko designed this website to replace the name of that store with nnnnnnnn. Koko did that because she as the owner of the forum could get into trouble for naming that store and the bad stuff that people say about it.

So to avoid getting koko into trouble. Don't change the spelling to try to get around the nnnnnnn thing.

There as been a lot of bad talk about w. mart and their treatment of fish in the past so koko designed this website to replace the name of that store with nnnnnnnn. Koko did that because she as the owner of the forum could get into trouble for naming that store and the bad stuff that people say about it.

So to avoid getting koko into trouble. Don't change the spelling to try to get around the nnnnnnn thing.

Thank you, I will try to remember that. Would you suggest I type in the "nnnnnnn" or would what I have been doing be ok?

When you type in the name of the store, it will automatically turned into nnnnnn.... :)

What is happening with your ph, is that the water from your tap has a high level of dissolved C02. When this dissipates, the ph rises.

You can counteract this by leaving the water out for about 24 hours. In that amount of time, the ph will rise. You can speed up the process by agitating the water with an airstone.

A drop in ph is more stressful on fish that a rise in ph. Unfortunately, when you add the water straight from the tap, with that big a difference, if you do a large water change, that will temporarily drop your ph significantly, and it could indeed be quite stressful.

I use big 2 gallon watering cans. I fill them up with water, and let it sit for 24 hours, then use in it.

How do the fish seem today?

Guest Andrea123

Hey thanks for the concern. Ive gotten a 5 gallon water jug from a friend who works for a water company. Ive also started a thread about the other fish :)

Archived