Monty Is Here

Guest Betta_Fan

Guest Betta_Fan

Well he has arrived I have called him Monty. I thought he was the most handsome one there so I snapped him up today. He seems to be settling in well and has eaten all ready. Here are some pics.

100_0416smaller.jpg

100_0426smaller.jpg

100_0430small.jpg

Guest Betta_Fan

Thanks devs. He is a nice colour light purple with a bit of red in him.

The box says it holds about 6 litres of water but it holds nearly 9 litres. The bowl looks smaller in the pic but its a lot wider in real life. The pet shop I got him from had him in less than a gallon of water.

He hasn't got a heater in at the moment. I have one ready just in case, but with me living in Australia and being summer at the moment. The water temps stay in the 22 region without the heater.

So i'm holding back on a heater for now.

Guest Betta_Fan

great looking betta! hey! i'm noticing some vitapet water ager there, they are a very trustworthy brand, do you agree?

Its the first time i've used that stuff so the verdict is still out. Got the whole pack from Big W so we will see how we go. I had the water in the bowl a good 24 hours or so before Monty went in plus the water ager.

Update on Monty he is lying on the bottom of floor near the plant he has been there for about an hour. Should I be worried, and should I get the heater in. :unsure:

How is he doing? He's so pretty :heart ! I hope someone can answer about the heater, meanwhile there is a ton of info to read in the betta forum. Good luck :)

Guest Betta_Fan

I have to go out and get another heater because when I tried it its not working. He is still at the bottom but i have seem him move around a little bit.

Congrats on Monty. He is cute. As for a heater. It depends on what the water temp is right now. do you have a thermometer ( cheap at any lfs) so you can get a water temp. Also how many U.S. gallons does you tank equal out to? Not good to heat anything under 2 U.S. Gallons. Anything under 2 gallons would heat up too much with a heater and cook him. If it is equal to 2 U.S. gallons you can safely heat it with a mini heater. The one I have on my 2.5 gallons tank is a hydor mini 7.5 watts heater. It gets my tank up to around 82 to 86. Bettas do not like big temp flucuations. here is a pic of the one I have

( oh drat it won't let me paste a link to the pic, but if you click on products and then heaters and mini on the web link listed below you will be able to view it.)

here is a link to hydor's website.That way you can check to see if it is avaible in the UK.

http://www.hydor.it/index_en.htm

If the water temp is 72 degrees or below you might consider a heater if your tank is large enough. Bettas will become sluggish in water that is too cool for them. Do you have a lamp you could put the tank under? It may be an option to help bring the temp up if the tank is too small for a heater. I know one of the members from the UK can probably figure out the Litre compared to U.S. Gallon thing.

Guest Betta_Fan

Bettaqueen he seemed to move a bit when I let some natural sunlight in the room. So I think it mybe the temps. I think I might look at a light for the tank.

Glad I was able to help . you might try placing a lamp over his tank as well. It can raise the temp as well. If you do not have a table lamp to put by his tank you could use a desk lamp. the best thing would be to put him in a larger tank a provide a mini heater. But if that is not an option the lamp may help. Also turning up the the heat in your house will help as well. Is the room temp at least 72-74 degrees?

Guest Betta_Fan

Just another update Monty is doing really well moving around now. Yesterday I got a small light its a Marina product that can be put in the water as well as outside the water. I stuck it on the red bit at the top of his bowl, and switched it on when the natural light started to go. He started to go down the bottom and be sluggish yesterday at the around the same time as the day I got him, once the light went on he perked right up again. So I do think its the light issue, and thinking about it the pet shop i got him from had the betta area lit up. its not a big light but he seems to like it on when it gets darker.

As for the temps while its summer i think he is fine because the water is staying in the 22-24 range naturally. I think once winter arrives i'll move him in a slightly bigger home with a small heater, because i'm not sure the light will be enough.

Saw this http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod1208.htm i'm thinking of getting one for him. Its a hydor 7.5 watt heater.

yup that is a good heater. that is the one I have in Zeke's tank. You might want to leave the light on all the time if the temp drops in the tank when it is out. If you provide a place from him to hide in the tank then he can get out of the light when it bothers him. Zeke has a concave turtle ornament he hides under when he is playing in hide an seek with me. :D

Archived