Pleco's And Dropsy

Guest shin

I was just wondering whether or not plecos can get dropsy. My pleco's skins are kind of spikey and very hard, is it suppposed to be like this? I think they are common plecos. Can anyone help clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance!

I'll post a pic but I'm pretty sure it isn't because my old pleco always had hard and kind of spikey scales. But my newer pleco has very spikey scales. I'm also not sure what type it is, I think its a common one. Thank you for replying. Pic coming soon.

Here are the pics but my camera isnt that great so I doubt you will be able to see the scales.

Pleco

pleco

He isn't hiding around in the plant like he used to and is just staying behind the filter most of the time. The scales stick out more when he bends his tail.

I know for a fact that plecos can get dropsy sometimes and I tthink that it may be able to be treated with the same meds as goldfish but I am not sure. Quarantining the fish might be a good idea if it is dropsy but I am not sure that it is dropsy. The pics are not too clear but I can see that the fish is slightly bloated in the first one.

Hope we can figure out exactly what is going on and take care of it!

Archived