Curved / Bent Fins?

Bzoink

Hey there, I'm just wondering if bent/curved fins eventually straighten out. Ever since I've gotten my telescope at the petstore back when I first started out he's had a curved almost bent dorsal fin. I figured with time it would eventually straighten out, but I'd like to hear from yooou guys.

Other than that he's fine, swimming around happily and what nots, just that "lucky fin"!

Thanks ;)

Well, fins are generally something that is either genetically programmed, or has been broken due to handling or extreme overcrowding. Especially the first ray of a dorsal fin is prone to this, and once that first ray is broken, it will not get back to its original shape. It might get less visible over time, but no, it will not straighten out completely.

Not great for a fish show, but for the everyday love to our goldfish not the least bit hindering at all. We love 'em anyway... :heart

In my experience, fins that are bent/curved genetically tend to get worse over time. I have a couple of black moors with this problem. The worst one I bought when he was about .5" [body], and it wasn't noticeable. Now he's closer to 1" [body], and one of his pectoral fins is severly curved under. He swims perfectly fine, and is otherwise a handsome fish. ^_^

My pearlscale has a bent 1st dorsal ray...many of my fish do. It's hard to find perfectly-finned fish at your local pet shop...their fish are bred for quantity, not quality.

Guest im-trying

I have a pearlscale with a bent dorsal fin i just tell him it adds character.

Its not bothered by it much infact he has grown faster and is generaly healthier than my other pearlscale.

I wouldnt worry about it likeRaivynn said they are bred for quantity not quality, unfortunatly but its like with all animals even humans none are perfect.

Archived