Goldfish At A Wedding

viscosity2004

I went to my boyfriend's brother's wedding last night at it was underwater themed (the bride really likes the Little Mermaid) and at every table @ the reception there was a bowl of poor little goldfish.

I just couldn't get over it.

My boyfriend and his sister knew I loved goldfish and encouraged me to find out what their fate would be (especially about a few hours into the reception many of the goldfish were burying themselves under the gravel, probably to make their own graves).

At the end of the reception I tried to take a few home (truthfully I don't have the room at my mom's house, but it would have probably been a better death than in the bowls), but the bride's mom TOTALLY freaked out!

Apparently the bowls were pre-assigned to people (two specific ones for the bride and groom) and I wasn't allowed to take one.

I couldn't really understand it either, the newlyweds were heading to their honeymoon right after the wedding. Does she really think they're going to want to come home to a bowl of dead fish?

On the ride home I couldn't stop thinking of the comedian Demetri Martin (regarding flowers): It's like giving them and saying "Congrats. Now watch these die... You're next."

Poor little fish.

It is a sad day that this has become a fad at weddings. Bettas too are finding their deaths at these events.

The best thing you can do is educate those who listen and if you ever find yourself before the fact to stop it.

Sorry that you had a miserable night.

This seems to be happening often. Could it be after the Nemo movie? I don't know but I've heard of this special wedding feature a few times now :( I would have been like you Nenn, frantically finding out about their fate and unable to enjoy myself. You are not alone. Unfortunately those fish could not reply to their invitation :cry1 .

Guest amazonjes

So, they knew you love goldfish but didn't ask if it would be an appropriate 'wedding favor'? Wow. It just stuns me that people can take live animals and treat them like ornaments. It's the same with this "tea-cup pup" fad among celebrities. It's really aweful. I mean, you know that Paris Hilton is not taking proper care of her dog. And does everyone remember watching the osbournes and how their animals ran wild in the house, crapping and piddling all over? And then since I live in the country, we find abandoned animals, cats and dogs, that people leave out here to fend for themselves because they can't or won't take care of them anymore. They end up forming packs and being a nuisence to farmers or being hit by cars on the highway. And the local Animal Protective League does what they can, but they don't have enough room for the huge amount of lost, stray, and abandoned animals that people leave. It's horrible. I really think that people should be required to take pet ownership classes before having any kind of pet. People just don't realize the huge responcibility that goes along with keeping and caring for an animal. It's sad because the animals have to pay for our ignorence.

So, they knew you love goldfish but didn't ask if it would be an appropriate 'wedding favor'?

Apparently it was the bride's mother who did all the wedding planning (we don't know each other very well) and I suppose she thought it was just super to have bowls of goldfish for an underwater-themed wedding. I really wish she had let me keep some, I'm sure they're all dead now. :cry

I was scared to confront her about it because I know she was stressing herself out about doing all the wedding arrangements and dealing with a bunch of "common goldfish" was probably the last on her list. Heh, even her son said she was sort of difficult to deal with.

:unsure: Now I just hope that the guests at the wedding noticed how badly the fish were doing in the bowls & learn not to make the same mistake themselves.

Guest amazonjes

I really wish she had let me keep some, I'm sure they're all dead now. :cry

:unsure: Now I just hope that the guests at the wedding noticed how badly the fish were doing in the bowls & learn not to make the same mistake themselves.

Maybe if somebody takes them home and they die or get sick, they will take the initiative to learn more about the fish and learn to love them, just like us. That is how I learned. My dad bought me a beautiful little red-capped Oranda for my birthday one year and I thought she was so pretty that I didn't want this one to die. So I bought a book about goldfish and started learning. The rest is history.

Oh, I did have that little Oranda for about two years, but when I left for college I left her with my parents (because you can't take a 55 gallon tank to a school two states away) and they lost her when they moved the tank into the living room. I don't know how you can lose a fish but I think maybe the cat had something to do with it and nobody wanted to tell me. :cry1 Oh well, she had a good life, although short. Anyway, you can always hope for the best. Maybe it will spark an interest in someone and he or she will want to learn more about those cute little fish in the bowls.

:) You're right Amazonjes. I first started learning about fish when I was in elementary school and kept a betta with goldfish, which of course didn't work out so well. Then several years ago my brother won some beautiful comets at a fair and it resparked both my interest and my little brother's -- we wanted to take the best care possible for a little pets.

I'm sure one day in the future, goldfish in bowls will become nonexistent, especially seeing the type of legislation going on in countries outside the United States. I just hope it's soon.

one word regarding the MOTB: ignorant!

ack, i'd throw in selfish too, but she apparently is flying under the radar with the "i was just doing it to make my daughter's dream wedding come true" excuse...

pleh. i feel sick now. :cry1

Guest 2manypets

That is how I got my 3 goldfish 3 years ago. Fortunately the fish were not "assigned" to anyone.

In my case the fish were in bare-bottomed glass vases with a rose-shaped candle floating on the water. Even though I had never had a fish before and knew nothing about them, as an animal lover, I couldn't bear the thought of their possible fate. So I took 3. My 3 are the only ones still surviving.

When I brought them home, my mom was like, "Oh geez. Do you have any idea how EXPENSIVE fish are?" I was like, how expensive can they be? The next day I went out and bought a "goldfish starter kit" featuring a 10-gallon tank, filter, hood, light, water treatment, and a packet of food. It cost over $100.

I set about researching how to take care of them the right way and I still have them. Im probably not the best fish mom, but I do try. The funny thing is that I took 3 different coloured fish, an orange, orange and white, and silver. Today they are all orange. haha!

I agree that it is abhorrent how people treat animals. The bride was a "diva" type and I must admit the centrepieces looked very attractive, but clearly she wasn't thinking about animal welfare that day.

The bride was a "diva" type and I must admit the centrepieces looked very attractive, but clearly she wasn't thinking about animal welfare that day.

The bride is very nice, I've met her a few times, and even at the wedding she was like "Eh? There's fish in the bowls." It's her mother (who did all the planning) I wish had relaxed a little and let me keep some. :rolleyes:

Archived