Why I Keep Goldfish

denniss

10. Unlike other tropical and marine fish, goldfish are ?interactive.?

9. Goldfish come in all shapes and colors, from common to ?collectable?

8. Goldfish are friendly, and don?t beat each other up which makes for a peaceful tank.

7. Goldfish eat almost anything.

6. Goldfish have cute ?faces,? other fish don?t

5. Goldfish can live inside your living room or outside in your yard

4. Goldfish aren?t afraid of you, you can even pet them.

3. Goldfish are messy, so that equipment buffs can buy lots of ?infrastructure? to keep tanks clean.

2. Goldfish come to you when they are called (and even when they are not)

1. Goldfish are so uncool? ?that they are cool!

I loved it when I was shopping for a new 92 gallon tank, stand, and sump filter (well over a grand) and the lfs clerk asks "so what are you going to keep in that tank?" Of course, he is expecting me to go on about reef tanks, big oscars, discus, or whatever. I look him in the eye with the best serious, deadpan face I can muster and say "Goldfish." I catch the momentary bit of surprise on his face, I smile knowingly and walk away!

Dennis

Ha ha ha! I did the same thing the other day when getting my 150. The clerks all know me and the manager says so you're finally getting a tank but where the fish. He knows me well and gets this look on his face and says 'Please tell me you're not putting those feeder fish of yours in there'. I looked at him blankly and say of course I am where else would I put them? :D

8. Goldfish are friendly, and don?t beat each other up which makes for a peaceful tank.

3. Goldfish are messy, so that equipment buffs can buy lots of ?infrastructure? to keep tanks clean.

I'm with you Denniss! You stated the best reasons!!!!!

1. They're such loveable creatures.

2. they can always calm you down no matter how angry you are

3. you can fall in love with them at first sight

4. they are always pleased to see you

5. they always act like the simplest of things are a great treat

6. they're beautiful

7. they're hilarious to watch

8. other people are so complimentry of them that they make you proud.

9. they can live such long lives.

10. they're interactive.

I loved it when I was shopping for a new 92 gallon tank, stand, and sump filter (well over a grand) and the lfs clerk asks "so what are you going to keep in that tank?" Of course, he is expecting me to go on about reef tanks, big oscars, discus, or whatever. I look him in the eye with the best serious, deadpan face I can muster and say "Goldfish." I catch the momentary bit of surprise on his face, I smile knowingly and walk away!

Hehe, I remember when I got my new used 40-gallon the guy was like "Oh, what're you going to keep in this?" and I said "I have 3 goldfish that would LOVE this tank!"

He just kind of tilted his head at me and said "Oh, neat."

All the above answers are great and true. :D

Often when people find that I keep aquariums,they look at me strange to begin with.And as everyone else,I get an even stranger look when I tell them goldfish. :rofl Now if I start going into all my fishy's names,forget it.They really look at me like I'm crazy! :krazy::exactly

I get that too.....the subject comes up about fish but when you say Goldfish....you get "The Look". I have even had people ask WHY?

I have had tropicals! Nice to keep....very pretty.....happy to get fed.....NOT very interactive! Goldfish are glad to see you! They are aware of the world OUTSIDE of the tank....mine watch TV!!

Tropicals are a tank of fish.....Goldies are pets!! GOLDFISH ARE PUPPIES WITH FINS!! :)

People always think that something is wrong with me because I prefer goldfish and Bettas over the flashy tropicals. And what's so strange about keeping goldfish, anyway??

Although I would love to have an Oscar.....

Besides, goldfish just rock. :rockon Period. :D

Currently, I keep goldfish for multiple reasons. One of the reasons is price -- I can raise a seven cent feeder goldfish reasonably easily, and when they are a foot long, they look (to me) just as good as a fancy carp.

I also then know they were raised in good conditions, and are likely hearty enough that the outdoor pond will be good for them.. this summer I move my current batch and debate another set..

Goldfish enlightenment, eh? :rofl I like that. I am going to use it!!!! :rofl:rofl

I happen to simply LOVE to drop the "goldfish bomb" on the fish enthusiasts in the area. They come to ask questions and gain knowledge about fish at the stores (particularly on the info days at the fish store) and, after I talk to them for a while they ask me what I keep.

"Goldfish"

That answer usually will strike even the most talkative person dumb!!!!! :rofl

The next reaction is usually: "Oh - you have those big koi in a pond, huh?"

To which I say: "Nope. I like goldfish. Like these." And I will point to the tanks of fancies and commons in the store.

That usually will stun them for quite a few minutes.

I love it. :yeah:;)

Guest im-trying

i get those questions all the time. and to be honest my answer when i got started was i wanted an easy pet.....oh how niave i was lol, but now i say because they rule for the above reasons

though i have been dreaming of getting a tropical community tank.....but then i wouldnt be able to open my bedroom door lol. Though i think that a ten gallon would fit at the foot of my ......no andy you will have to climb out of the window to get in and out and you will probably come home with more goldfish which will mean an other big tank gah!!!

do you ever get the feeling your gona need rehab one day? :krazy:

do you ever get the feeling your gona need rehab one day? :krazy:

Yes :happydance

I'll never forget when I got my first job. I had recently found koko's and was working really hard to move my 9 babies out of a 30 gallon ( :thud ). I was talking to a coworker one night and he asked why I got a job if my parents didnt really care. I told him I had to feed my addiction. He asked what my addiction was, and when I told him goldfish he gave me "the look." LOL

yeah, i get the 'look' sometimes too...

I think that people will give you the 'look' because when they think of goldfish, they usually think of little nitrient deprived 10 cent common you see at w.m. ... Not exactly the most beautiful fish, but what people dont know is that when you take proper care of these fish, they can become very beautiful indeed...

Ten Reasons "Why Goldfish".

I love this thread!!

10. Caring for them presents enough of a challenge to keep things interesting.

9. They are still easier to care for than marine critters or koi.

8. They are so diverse that there is something for every taste.

7. They are obviously intelligent and are reminders to "look more closely" at animals.

6. They "seem" to be affectionate toward humans!

5. They are amusing! Interactive clowns that thrive on attention.

4. They are usually gentle with one another, living in harmony and conveying "peace".

3. They attract and put one in contact with intelligent, nurturing and creative people.

2. They are beautiful! Like living jewels or flowers. Looking at them is a major stress-breaker.

1. They are long-lived making one feel that the effort is more of an investment in a

companion vs. an ornament, as so many other fish are regarded.

I think that is such a great list. I agree 100%. My friends think I'm daggy cause I love my GF so much, but I dont care :D

Archived