Goldfish Shopping Advice

Guest amazonjes

Guest amazonjes

I was just wondering, when shopping for goldfish, does anyone have any advice on what to look for in a good goldfish, other than just standard healthy looking and such? I usually just pick the fish that stands out to me as cute or nice, but I've been looking and none have been jumping out at me, except for one or two. I guess I'll probably get those two ( a lionhead and baby black moor). I'll probably fall in love with them once I get them home, but I just haven't found any fish that made a big impression on me yet. Well, I know they can't replace my old two and maybe that's what I'm looking for. I still miss them. :(

It sounds like you haven't decided what you want after your other beloved two. If you think" I really want an oranda" or " I want a bubble-eye" then you will narrow the field and you can hunt around different stores for a healthy one with colors you like or a personality that captures you. Wanting a particular type and having an image of it in your head can help you choose.

On the other hand... :D ...plenty of people here find they were just looking around and a fish 'spoke' to them.

Maybe you need to look in at a few more different fish shops :) .

I always go with an open mind and just look for someone healthy, cute and 'bouncy'. Preferably with that surprised look. I'm good at getting those kinds....

I never buy anything that doesn't "talk to me",or jump out at me.Now this has taken alot of years of practice,but it really does make sense in the long run. :)

If you go to the fish store,and nothing speaks to you,then don't buy a fish just so that you can come home with one.Often times,I think that's how people end up overstocked.I think that they "settle",just to bring a goldie home,but because it didn't get that reaction from you,you're not totally satisfied,and therefore looking for that next one to be the special one. It's really hard to have patience,but well worth it if you can do it,as one day,you will finally see that "special fish",and you wont be overstocked,or overstocking by getting it.

This is my own personal experience/views on it anyway. :rolleyes::D

You are right, Sharon - and I have the same urge at times, wanting to come home with something, because I'd hate it going home with nothing. When I get that urge, I at least buy some sort of food for the goldies, or a treat for my tortoises.

Sounds like you are still grieving your old fish, Amazonjes... Then its double hard to lose your heart on something new, when your old darlings are still occupying that very spot. Take your time, and the fish that is meant for you will come up eventually.

I have this strange thing where I wait until I absolutely can't take it anymore but to go to the store and try and find the fish that has been haunting my mind. So far, everytime I have that "I have to go urge" I end up finding the fish that I had been thinking about. I found my phoenix that way, mars I found the same way. Sparky as well. Skittles I just went and found him and he said "please take me home" with his cute little face and I caved. So, it may sound weird but my fish come to me in my dreams and nag me to find them. I'll see them and they're the fish I had been thinking about. It's so weird and kinda hard to explain.

I guess, it's kinda like, when the time is right, you'll know and you'll find the fish you're looking for, or that has been looking for you.

Guest amazonjes

Well, I took an extra day to think about it and I went back and I bought that beautiful golden lionhead and an adorable pearlscale. I was a little worried at first whether Moe would like them or not because he's been so shy lately. I think it's because both of his buddies were lost kind of suddenly. Well, I added them and then had to leave right after to finish running errends. The two new ones were kind of exploring the other side of the tank while Moe hid out in his cave when I left. But then when I came home later, they were all in Moe's cave togther. It was so cute! They seem to really like each other and Moe seems more active and happier. I'm really happy I bought them. I've named the pearlscale (it's red and white) Ruby and my fiance wants to call the lionhead Bull, but I'm not sure about that name. I told him I would think about it...(until I think of something nicer :P ).

Anytime I have a fish that is speaking to me and I am thinking of getting it, I take my time and stand and watch it.

Even if I am there an hour, just watching it. The store clerks may think it is a bit strange, but hey you pick up little problems that you miss without standing there looking for a long time.

Guest amazonjes

Anytime I have a fish that is speaking to me and I am thinking of getting it, I take my time and stand and watch it.

Even if I am there an hour, just watching it. The store clerks may think it is a bit strange, but hey you pick up little problems that you miss without standing there looking for a long time.

lol I do the same thing, Laurie! I'll be squatting on the floor for about twenty minutes watching the same fish and the clerk will come up and ask, "Do you need any help?" with a funny look like, "this girl is nuts!" I always just tell them that I'm just watching the fish and they usually smile, like I'm a funny little kid or something.

Buying goldfish is very much like buying art... There are going to be ones that you absolutely have to have and ones you might not be real thrilled with in a month or two. Thing is, you can't take Goldfish off the wall and stick 'em in the attic. And even the ones you "replace" with the ones that knock your socks off [and you have to have].... are missed. itis a BUMMER placing fish that you've cared for. I had Commons and Comets and adored them. But when I discovered Wakin, I knew they were the Goldies that would keep me interested for the long-haul. So, I placed my Commons and Comets with friends who take very good care of them. And I still fret and worry and miss them, every day. Wait for the ones that knock your socks off. :) Have you checked some of the online sources?? They have really, really special fish.

Guest chris345

well you should always go to a store that everyone knows like mmm. Don't go to stores that have sick or even dead fish in their tank. the other healthy fish could get a dieses. try to pick one that doesn't lie on the tank floor. pick one that has a bricht color and try to buy small ones their cheaper and thell grow any way. :bingo:

When I got my 2 commons from the feeder tank I picked out one for his coloring and couldn't decide on the other one. So I had the store employee just pick one at random. That's the fish that's still alive and doing well. So I can't say my fishy spoke to me at the store obviously, but he sure does now and I love him!

Archived